Search this Thread

Old 20 January 2009, 11:15 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry So now we have to insure our vehicles even if they are not in use

Uninsured drivers left with nowhere to hide : Directgov - Newsroom

Words fail me

PS: I've tried finding the information on the DfT website referred to at the bottom of the page, but it is exceptionally well hidden
Old 20 January 2009, 11:22 AM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

In what circumstances 'wouldn't' you insure a car
Old 20 January 2009, 11:24 AM
eggy790
Scooby Regular

so if i have a car on my drive thats uninsured and that im working on lol i now have to get thatinsured?
Old 20 January 2009, 11:24 AM
farmer1
Scooby Regular

When it's sat in your garage declased SORN
Old 20 January 2009, 11:26 AM
T5OLF
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lightning101

A project car that was still half built maybe? My rally car was off the road for 2 years but could not be nicked as it had no axle or engine in it and locked in a garage.
Old 20 January 2009, 11:28 AM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by eggy790
so if i have a car on my drive thats uninsured and that im working on lol i now have to get thatinsured?

If it rolled down your drive and hit my parked car
Old 20 January 2009, 11:30 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by lightning101
Well my Sierra has been sat round the back of the house waiting for me to throw a pair of sills and a couple of doors at it for 4 years now, and my Golf is sat on my drive waiting for me to MOT it, and for the council to stop hurling saltabout like it's confetti. They are both on private property, and they are both out of use, so why should I insure them
Old 20 January 2009, 11:31 AM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
Well my Sierra has been sat round the back of the house waiting for me to throw a pair of sills and a couple of doors at it for 4 years now, and my Golf is sat on my drive waiting for me to MOT it, and for the council to stop hurling saltabout like it's confetti. They are both on private property, and they are both out of use, so why should I insure them
Does it actually say cars that aren't fit for the road or are declared unfit have to be insured ?
Old 20 January 2009, 11:34 AM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

It also is just a set of proposals, much like we read about in the daily mail every day and then set about ranting to all and sundry.
Old 20 January 2009, 11:38 AM
apples24
Scooby Regular

it will do **** all, most of the uninsured scumbags will not have the car registered int here name anyway so how does that help
Old 20 January 2009, 11:42 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

That’s pretty much uneforcable, and would have even more people using ghost addresses to register the vehicle.

There’d also be a mass increase in dumped vehicles.
Old 20 January 2009, 11:45 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Hope this doesnt include cars that are SORN. I have 2 on my driveway uninsured and dont plan on getting one of them on the road any time soon
Old 20 January 2009, 11:47 AM
scoobynewbie72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
Hope this doesnt include cars that are SORN. I have 2 on my driveway uninsured and dont plan on getting one of them on the road any time soon
Same here
Old 20 January 2009, 12:03 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

If it is all vehicles regardless then that is well over the top. It is the offence of driving uninsured that they should be chasing of course.

Surely the illegally driven cars uninsured are also largely untaxed and DVLA probably don't know of their existence anyway. Yet another ridiculous and unfair "initiative"

Les
Old 20 January 2009, 12:05 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Department for Transport - Continuous Enforcement of Motor Insurance

Very easy to find, just go to recently published documents and it's the first on the list.
Old 20 January 2009, 12:05 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

How many parts does a car need to be in to be a 'car' ?
Old 20 January 2009, 12:07 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

To use a vehicle on the road or public place, its use must be covered by a valid policy of third party motor insurance as set out Section 143 of the Road Traffic Act 1988. The consultation is about the regulations required for commencement and operation of the scheme of continuous enforcement of motor insurance authorised by Section 22 of, and Schedule 5 to the Road Safety Act 2006. Its provisions introduce a new offence of being a registered keeper of a vehicle which does not meet statutory insurance requirements.
Old 20 January 2009, 12:09 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

13. If as a result of this process of comparison a vehicle appears to be uninsured, and for which there is no formal off road (SORN) declaration, the registered keeper will be sent a letter and given reasonable opportunity to respond. The letter will explain for example, that if the keeper is already insured s/he will need to check that their insurer/broker has correctly entered details on the MID, or if s/he is no longer the registered keeper of the vehicle s/he will need to inform the DVLA in order for DVLA to update its records. The letter will also allow opportunity for the registered keeper to explain that they are exempt for other reasons (see the exceptions below in paragraphs 16 to 20). However, the letter will further warn of the consequences if the keeper is uninsured and takes no action to obtain appropriate insurance.
By this I read that vehicles declared SORN are not included.
Old 20 January 2009, 12:11 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Exceptions

16. Section 144B of the Act lists the exceptions to the Section 144A offence. It also provides that regulations may prescribe for the documents that need to be furnished or the declarations to be made in specific circumstances as described in paragraphs 17 to 20 below.

Change of keeper

17. Section 144B(7)(a) of the Act authorises regulations for the purposes of prescribing documents to be furnished, or declarations to be made, by a previous keeper if s/he is to be excepted under Section 144B(4) of the Act. Effectively this deals with anyone claiming that s/he was not committing the offence because s/he was not the keeper at the relevant time.

The Department intends to make regulations requiring anyone claiming the exception to have complied with the existing requirements for notification of change of keeper as specified in the Road Vehicles (Registration and Licensing) Regulations 2002 (SI 2002/2742) as amended ("the Registration and Licensing Regulations"). This means that the individual will not have to pay the penalty if s/he properly informed the DVLA that s/he was no longer the keeper of the vehicle

Exceptions for vehicles not used on a road or other public place

18. Section 144B(7)(a) of the Act authorises regulations for the purposes of prescribing documents to be furnished, or declarations to be made, by a keeper who is keeping the vehicle off road if s/he is to be excepted under Section 144B(5) from the Section 144A offence. Effectively, this Section deals with anyone claiming that s/he was not committing an offence because the vehicle was not being used or kept on a road or other public place at the relevant time.

The Department intends to make Regulations requiring anyone claiming this exception to have complied with the existing requirements for statutory off road notification (SORN) as specified in the Registration and Licensing Regulations.

The Department recognises that there are vehicles which do not currently fall within the requirements for SORN because they have not been used on the road and were last taxed before 31 January 1998, for example historic vehicles. We intend making provision for such vehicles to be excepted. They are not of course exempt from Section 143 of the Act which requires valid insurance to be in force if the vehicle is used on the road or other public place.

Exceptions for stolen vehicles

19. Section 144B(7)(b) of the Act authorises Regulations for the purposes of prescribing how notification of theft should be made by the registered keeper if s/he is to be excepted under Section 144B(6) from the Section 144A offence. Effectively this section deals with anyone claiming an exception from the offence because the vehicle has been stolen and not recovered. Currently stolen vehicles are recorded as such on the vehicle register on the request of the police when a vehicle has been reported to them as stolen.

It is our intention to place a requirement in the Regulations that anybody who is claiming an exception because the vehicle was stolen must have reported the theft to the police.

Further exceptions

20. Section 144B(8) of the Act makes provision for amending Section 144B to provide for further exceptions to Section 144A. The Department recognises that in certain circumstances some keepers may feel that they should be exempt from the new provisions. However the basis for the scheme is that the registered keeper of a motor vehicle should have and take responsibility as a minimum for ensuring that her/his vehicle(s) are covered by a policy of motor insurance, or that the vehicle is kept off road and a formal declaration has been made by the keeper to the DVLA.

As such the Department has no plans to provide for any further exceptions. An integral part of the scheme would be to publicise and raise awareness before the scheme came come fully into force to allow motorists a period of time to adjust to the new arrangements.

Q Are the exceptions we have proposed appropriate?
Again , not as bad as the Daily Mail doom and gloom mongers would have us believe.
Old 20 January 2009, 12:27 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Sorn vehicles will be exempt.

Howevery they have ammended the law to make it an offence! to be the

registered keeper of an uninsured vehicle.

The penaltys are:

£100 fine or go to court,

clamp

sieze

crush

Its all in here

Mart
Old 20 January 2009, 12:35 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Its been talked about before, but it seems that they are more and more serious about pushing this through.

Afaik they will still require that a SORN car would have to be insured.

We have to remember that we have an anti car government. Rules as they are encourage or at least don't penalise people that much for having more than one vehicle. Average person just has their own car that they use to go to work. Its not for fun, they don't want another car, and they don't keep cars to work on as a project. For the mass population it will not affect them, so irrespective of whether the policy will actually work, they will probably think "its worth a try as it won't affect me" and it will go through.
Old 20 January 2009, 12:58 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Andy's right Luminous, according to the DfT page he posted (which I also managed to search for, but should really have been linked on the original DirectGov page I posted) cars that are registered SORN will be exempt

This is actually contrary to what the DfT's own representative said on Radio 5 this morning though
That's probably just another of our 'joined up government' in action I suppose
Old 20 January 2009, 01:01 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by bugeyeandy

Very easy to find, just go to recently published documents and it's the first on the list.
Easy to find once you've figured out where to look, true. But if you consider the amount of money 'we the taxpayer' are spending on Government IT projects, you'd think they should at least be able to link one department's information pages into another themselves
Old 20 January 2009, 01:03 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

SORN CARS ARE EXEMPT.

Roads minister explained it all on radio this morning and TBH I agreed with every word he said.

Drive the car, get it insured. Off road, SORN it.

Cant see the problem.
Old 20 January 2009, 01:14 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

That's fair enough then.
Old 20 January 2009, 01:21 PM
jonny_693
Scooby Regular

Bit of a PITA though if you buy a car say middle of the month and want to sort a few things out before insuring and taxing at the end of the month isnt it.
Old 20 January 2009, 01:30 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

To all you lot with scrap cars on your drives/gardens ...... get them down the scrappie - most will never see the road again, and you know it!
Old 20 January 2009, 01:41 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Originally Posted by FlightMan
SORN CARS ARE EXEMPT.

Roads minister explained it all on radio this morning and TBH I agreed with every word he said.

Drive the car, get it insured. Off road, SORN it.

Cant see the problem.
Old 20 January 2009, 01:41 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Originally Posted by JONNY_693
Bit of a PITA though if you buy a car say middle of the month and want to sort a few things out before insuring and taxing at the end of the month isnt it.
Nope

Just SORN it online
Old 20 January 2009, 01:55 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

i must admit this always had the whiff of Daily Mail hysteria about it

and as a person who had the front of his parked car taken out by an inusured driver, I fully support it really

Quick Reply: So now we have to insure our vehicles even if they are not in use