Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Halfords bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 19 January 2009, 07:08 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Halfords bulbs

Was in the locaL Halfords today to buy new exhaust hangers for the mrs's car, after she managed to lose 2??

Anyway,
I noticed they have an offer on some super bright light bulbs, 19.99 (BOGOF)
It says on the packaging not road legal, bow as a bulb has gone in my car this evening i'm thinking of investing, not really arsed about getting stopped by Police, i'll take my chances if they want to check them, but will the car pass an MOT with them, do the testing stations check the brightness?

Don't want to fit them then change them for an MOT.

Thanks
Old 19 January 2009, 07:51 PM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

Location: Poole - in an Isuzu D-Max LE (Prodrive Version) Gamer Tag "Coin Slot"

They also do +90% that are road legal, I replaced my Philips +90% and can't notice any difference in quality, light output.
Old 19 January 2009, 08:18 PM
Wagon Gaz
Scooby Regular

Have had probs with bulbs at MOT time so be carefull, shame to fail over 2 bulbs.

I have seen somewhere testing of various bulbs and the Halfords "extra bright" bulbs did note score well, if I remeber correctly the best ones on test were Ring ultra xenon
Old 19 January 2009, 08:20 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when doing a little read up on all the bulbs i heard the halfrauds ones don't seem to last this distance which is why i went for the Philips Xtremes
Old 19 January 2009, 10:20 PM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

I *think* frauds lamps are rebadged from one of the major brands now.

Yes the Philips are superb, but my set only lasted just under 12 months which I thought was a little poor.
Old 20 January 2009, 11:18 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I think you have to be a bit careful with very powerful bulbs. I have seen warnings that the extra heat can damage the headlights.

Les
Old 20 January 2009, 11:48 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
I think you have to be a bit careful with very powerful bulbs. I have seen warnings that the extra heat can damage the headlights.

Les
Wrong, these extra bright bulbs consume the same amount of power, i.e. 55W, and therefore produce the same amount of heat. Hence they remain road legal.

You're not legally allowed to put 100W rally type bulbs in although they do sell them in Halfrauds they are marked off road use only These may melt your headlights, wiring, etc.

It's improvements in the bulb design, e.g. xenon gas instead of halogen that makes them better, not a power increase.

To the OP, recently put a set on Halfrauds 90% brighter in the missus car and she has noticed the difference so must be doing something. I too have used Philips bulbs in my old Scoob and they also only lasted a year, both blew within hours of each other leaving me with no light Lucky I had the fog lights to get me home
Old 20 January 2009, 12:25 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

Are these the bulbs that dazzle other road users? Have noticed various hues of blue/white which tend to dazzle. Or is that because the headlights are not set up properly?
Old 20 January 2009, 12:32 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Philips Visionplus from powerbulbs and notice a definite improvement over OEM. However they do seem to have a 12 month lifespan
Old 20 January 2009, 05:36 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by G00ner
They also do +90% that are road legal, I replaced my Philips +90% and can't notice any difference in quality, light output.

Ok so in the end I bought these, they are 55W so road legal, and I have to say they are noticably brighter than the old ones, 90% i'm not sure.
They do some upto 80W but didn't toouch those
Old 20 January 2009, 09:31 PM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

I done a bit of digging, looks like Ring make them, so probably not too bad then.
The Philips only seem to get sold online, bit of a pain when your lamp blows at 6 on a Friday night, hence why I brought the Halfrauds +90% last time around.
Old 21 January 2009, 02:00 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger
Wrong, these extra bright bulbs consume the same amount of power, i.e. 55W, and therefore produce the same amount of heat. Hence they remain road legal.

You're not legally allowed to put 100W rally type bulbs in although they do sell them in Halfrauds they are marked off road use only These may melt your headlights, wiring, etc.

It's improvements in the bulb design, e.g. xenon gas instead of halogen that makes them better, not a power increase.

To the OP, recently put a set on Halfrauds 90% brighter in the missus car and she has noticed the difference so must be doing something. I too have used Philips bulbs in my old Scoob and they also only lasted a year, both blew within hours of each other leaving me with no light Lucky I had the fog lights to get me home
My post was only two lines. It really is not difficult to work out that I was mentioning "very powerful bulbs"

Did you honestly think I was referring to 55W legal bulbs? Anyone can work out that a 55W bulb it not going to produce any more significant extra heat than any other 55W bulb, extra bright or not!

Best to actually read the post that you intend to criticise before you burst into print!

Les
Old 21 January 2009, 02:23 PM
4X4BOB
Scooby Regular

Used to have the Philips Vision+ in my scooby, but I now have the Philips X-Treme Power bulbs in my present ride. Vast improvement, and Auto Express Mag rates them highly!

find the X-tremes are lasting longer than the old vison + ones. My X-tremes are 2 years old now!

Halfrauds are expensive, £20 for 1 bulb!!! You need a BOGOF offer to make them the same price as decent quality bulbs.

Paid £18 for a pair of X-Treme Power bulbs inc delivery, actually, I bought 2 sets for £36 so I have spares. Plus I have the OEM bulbs as a back up too.
Old 21 January 2009, 04:16 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger

)
It doesn't matter if they draw 55w and produce 56W there's always going to be an increase in heat. (however small) Which could potentailly damage the reflector or glass.

I've heard good and bad things about the various HID kits. Maybe worth a look.
Old 21 January 2009, 04:19 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have never had any problems with bulbs not being road legal for an mot