Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

An unnerving encounter on a TransAtlantic Flight

Search this Thread

Old 20 February 2002, 05:46 PM
PEN
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Returning from TO last weekend and was over the moon to discover I'd been upgraded to Club Class (the Club Class) - Yes!!!

Feeling rather smug and full of my own importance and hey this was gonna be a brilliant flight home... then it happened...

HE showed up to fill the seat next to me. HE'd been in the bar as you could smell it half way up the plane. HE decides he gonna chat.

That was okay but after about an hour up HE decides fate has brought us together and HE is madly in love with me as we are kindred spirits bla di bla... it's then I realise I'm in big trouble..

HE's trying to hold my hand, keeps touching my arm etc. I eventually tell him he's in my personal space and I'm not comfortable with the way he's talking to me. Fine he backs off with apology...

But then he's at it again about half hour later...I didn't know what to do as what started out as innocent turned into I've got a problem.

By the time it has got to the point where I knew I should have done something I was too intimidated by him and scared (yeah at my age) and worried that the crew would tell me to be grateful I'd been upgraded in the first place as everyone was into their dinners, films or asleep...and haven't you been talking to the guy for the last two hours?

It was an unnerving experience and hopefully one I will forget but just goes to show that you're never really safe no matter what the circumstances.

P
Old 20 February 2002, 06:16 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Have you seen the film "Martha meet Frank Daniel and Laurence"?

Rich guy sees gorgeous girl at check-in, secretly pays for her ticket to be upgraded next to him.
Strolls on plane adjusting his tie, slides into his seat to find - complete harridan.
Then finds out that gorgeous girl needed money so promptly sold first class seat to another passenger (harridan) and pocketed 3000 dollars!

More seriously, I sympathise. Drunks are boring, lechers are too (I'm told ). Sitting next to one for eight hours sounds like pure torture.

BJH
Old 20 February 2002, 06:40 PM
Hos
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

You should have just told the cabin staff. Its there job to satisfy the customer at the end of the day and they will do there up most best to make your flight a pleasant one.

It doesn't matter that you have been upgraded, Ok you may have had to move but if you didn't want to speak to the guy then you wouldn't have to.

On a note of Air Law. I can't remember the section number as its been a while since i sat my Air Law exam but its illegal to be drunk on board an aircraft and the commander has the privelidge to act out his authority however he see's it.
Old 20 February 2002, 06:45 PM
Shark
Scooby Regular

I would of told the crew, I'm sure they would have sorted it - perhaps put you in first class Well maybe not, the fact you where upgraded indicates the plain was full.

On a more personal note it's tossers like that who give men a bad name

David
Old 20 February 2002, 10:57 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Can I point out (and it's not often this happens to me) that I had to look up 'harridan' in the dictionary just now?
Old 20 February 2002, 11:03 PM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Talking

Aye, you should have spoken to the cabin crew. They would have taken it seriously and I am in no doubt that if they hadn't you would be well within your rights to complain.

It is very unnerving as a lone female.

I was lucky to be speaking to a really nice guy from Israel on my flight across, hopefully we will keep in touch via the net. We chatted for the whole length of the flight

Michelle
Old 20 February 2002, 11:55 PM
Luke
BANNED

Wink

"Cilla Black get ye Hat"
Old 21 February 2002, 02:33 AM
sasman
Scooby Regular

Not good, be assertive Pen, put them in there place.
Old 21 February 2002, 02:55 AM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Talking

sasman,

Sometimes that is hard to do.

Iknow that on my own I feel a lot more vunerable than with company regardless of whether the company is female or male.

I do however know Thai Kick Boxing and a have attained a good level of karate knowledge, so I can look after myself.

It is still daunting to be faced with a situation like that, especially inthe confines of an aircraft.

I do wish you had spoken to the air cabin peeps though PEN
Old 21 February 2002, 03:14 AM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

Hi Pen, yeah you should of said something really, hed be out of there like a shot. Alcohol & harassment on planes they 2 things they certainly dont tolerate & physical violence too

oh & btw not yet sorry
Old 21 February 2002, 09:55 AM
PEN
Scooby Regular

Yes I know I should have said something, but the whole incident was so subtle in it's build up that it took a while for me to realise , usually I'm more aggressive than this but I was tired out from two weeks of family traumas. Also part of the problem is the way that the new club class section seats are positioned it's like the old 'love' (pardon the pun) seat style - they are facing each other.

Michelle you were lucky - it's nice to meet nice people on a flight, it wasn't Elle by any chance? He used to frequent this board but has since disappeared, he sent me a piccie of himself and his STi once.

All I can say is a lesson learned and I will be very cautious next time.

Thanks for your comments.
P
Old 21 February 2002, 09:58 AM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

No, his name is Lee, he doesn't own an STI, but he does own a Subaru pick up type thing

I directed him to this board, so hopefully he will be posting soon

I guess the flight would have been tiring as well and the last thing yo uwanted was to cause a fuss.
Hope future flights are less traumatic for you.
Old 21 February 2002, 12:26 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Sorry to hear that Pen.

Should have "spilled" that fresh hot coffee (extra large of course) in his lap.

That would have stopped him

D
Old 21 February 2002, 01:46 PM
AntBlue
Scooby Regular

lol
U should be flattered
Old 21 February 2002, 02:27 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Angry

U should be flattered
Flattered? Why? I hope you're joking [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Nasty situation to be in, I've been on the recieving end of a similar one myself and it's very hard to deal with at the time especially when it all starts out innocently enough. Fortunately you were surrounded by people who could've helped you if it had got any worse. It's easy to come up with answers with hindsight but at the time you're worried about upsetting or being uneccessarily cruel to the person doing it, well I was anyway Telling them to **** off would quite likely have inflamed the situation and made it worse. Moving seats would get my vote.

Sal