Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Capital One

Search this Thread

Old 13 January 2009, 10:17 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Capital One

Opened a Capital One account to take advantage of 0% on purchases until November 2009. Ever since I opened the account, I can't make online payments as the service is always unavailable.

Anyway, was phoning up India to make a min payment, but was getting sick of having to phone up every month, so created a Direct Debit (done over the phone with our one of our Indian friends) so I didn't miss or have a delayed payment. That was that......... or so I thought.

Got a letter yesterday informing me I'd missed a payment and was getting charged £12. Phoned up first thing this morning to be informed that no Direct Debit had ever been set-up on my account. Charge will not be dropped, but would I now like to set-up a Direct Debit. Came very close to telling her to Fcukoff and die, but bit my tongue and politely declined.

Went onto Capital One website to get a number to make a complain. Goes straight to Indian call centre.

Anyone know a number here in the UK to make a complaint?

******* does my head in these Indian call centres. Thinking of paying it off tomorrow and closing it down. So much for taking advantage of 0%.

Also my credit rating will have been affected by this too.
Old 13 January 2009, 10:23 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by stilover
Also my credit rating will have been affected by this too.
Hardly going to damage you big time by missing one payment. I wouldnt worry about it
Old 13 January 2009, 10:27 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

If you haven't already, M&S have a 0% on purchases for 10 months (last time I looked) or John Lewis have a 6 month 0%. Both with UK call centres, not that I've needed to call them.

Also, can't you setup online payments from another bank account?

Last edited by Jay m A; 13 January 2009 at 10:30 AM.
Old 13 January 2009, 10:29 AM
Bull
Scooby Regular

get there number and get enter it on this page..it may give you the uk number mate... SAYNOTO0870.COM - Non-Geographical Alternative Telephone Numbers
Old 13 January 2009, 10:30 AM
mannyo
Scooby Regular

If you have online banking, I would set the bill payment up the other way around. ie, pay from your bank account to capital one. With Lloyds for example, I have setup my Credit cards as payees, and make the payment monthly using the lloydstsb website and not the credit cards online facility. Doing things this way round, you can manage all the payments from one central location, and not need to logon to multiple sites.
Old 13 January 2009, 10:30 AM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

<edited title due to swear filter bypass>
Old 13 January 2009, 10:37 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
<edited title due to swear filter bypass>
Sorry
Old 13 January 2009, 10:38 AM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

s'okay. I hate them as well
Old 13 January 2009, 11:00 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mannyo
If you have online banking, I would set the bill payment up the other way around. ie, pay from your bank account to capital one. With Lloyds for example, I have setup my Credit cards as payees, and make the payment monthly using the lloydstsb website and not the credit cards online facility. Doing things this way round, you can manage all the payments from one central location, and not need to logon to multiple sites.
Exactly what I do. On the 1st of every month I just transfer what I want to pay across to them. Very simple.

I tried to use the online payment system on the capital one website and like you, I could never get it to work. Tried calling them and got cut off twice after being on hold for a total of 40 mins! Much better to take the payment control into your own hands.
Old 13 January 2009, 11:42 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

down to 3.48% gross
Old 13 January 2009, 11:46 AM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

I feel your pain, CapOne are just ridiculous.

Send letter to below address

Capital One Bank
Legal Department
4th Floor, Loxley House
Station Street
Nottingham
NG2 3HX

I am writing to ask you to refund to me the £12 charge which you have levied from my account as this charge is unfair as I had made a direct debit mandate over the phone with your companies Indian call centre, this error is not my error and I will not be paying for it. In any case will you please demonstrate this £12 charge by letting me have a full breakdown of the costs to which you have been put by as a result of this breach, in order to reassure me that your penalties really do reflect your costs.

Please also forward a copy of the Terms and Conditions that were in force at the time my account was opened, and any subsequent amendments to those Terms and Conditions. These are requested under CPR Pre-Action Protocol 4.6(c).

I shall also be submitting a complaint to the OFT if swift action is not made in regards to this complaint upon the basis of total incompetence and therefore not a 'fit and proper person' to hold a consumer credit licence under the 1974 Act. If you do not understand what this means then seek advice from your legal department. I now consider this account in legal dispute.

You can also consider this letter Statutory Notice pursuant to Sections 10 and 12 of The Data Protection Act 1998. Whereas I have been a customer of capone and whereas I consented in my contract with you to the disclosure by you of certain data to third parties, at no time did I consent and neither was it within the contemplation of the parties to the contract that I did consent to the processing by you of that data in any manner which would be unfair or inaccurate or which in any way would breach The Data Protection Act 1998.

i.e. you are telling them not to release any information to credit reference agencies.