Search this Thread

Old 06 January 2009, 11:08 AM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default small business marketing...

hi folks,
i've been trying to drum up some local trade (computer repairs / networking / hardware / software / AV etc...) and have been out hand delivering business cards in the area.
i really want to be able to walk to my clients where possible and try and really get a foothold in this area.
There are other companies about locally, but all seem more expensive, with really shoddy/error ridden and garish websites (you know the sort - Bright blue and yellow)
i've has 1000 cards printed and so far in one outing doled out 250 of these.

now, my thinking is i'm going to have to put out about 5000 cards in order to make any dent in the area, although with the number of pc's around, and the issues i've seen (yes everyone has one issue or another, be it pop ups, slow start up, user training) i'm guessing its a bit of a lucky lotto as well (ie: right time / right place).
i'm holding off placing an ad in the local "advertiser" as i really just want a single area.
Was also thinking of approaching a local cab firm or builders and offering to put their details on the back of my cards, so:
a) it has 2 services on it for the end user
b) it has more chance of being retained for future use

Any advice would be welcome.

ps: the business cards look smart and contain enough info to summarise my services.
i was thinking of maybe a free pc healthcheck offer, where i could run some diagnostics and then generate a report for the client (with recommendations for improvement, if possible)

ps: letterboxes and front doors say a lot about people.... my favorite type is a gloss blavck door with a modern chrome box, and no bristle things inside as you scrape your knuckles pushing the card through !!!!
also a lot of houses have "no free papers or leaflets!" on the door, so i again respect their wishes

off out again in a min with another fistful of cards !!

Last edited by WRX_Dazza; 07 January 2009 at 11:00 AM.
Old 06 January 2009, 11:17 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Dazza - I'm impressed with your dedication!
So many are just rolling over and dying with this credit crunch.

I think the free diagnostics idea is great but only offer it for a limited time or you spend too many hours chasing sod all money.

I run a PR company and would happily get a diagnostics check done on our laptops. If I thought it was good, I'd use your services. Shame I'm in Cornwall!

My general view of similar companies is that they are often run from a bedroom by people with no communication skills at all. If you can look more professional than them then you are already on the up.

Are you B2B only or B2C as well?
Old 06 January 2009, 11:23 AM
Scoobydiid
Scooby Regular

Try and find a local busines network, BNI or the like. Many of these organisations have a one trade only policy, however if you point out that you are only after the domestic side, they may be prepared to let you in. you may even find that larger IT companies may pass you the smaller jobs to make life easier for themselves and allow them to concentarate on larger projects.
Nice idea about the free check, but this will take up a lot of time for no guaranteed return. I would charge for the health check and offer a discount against any future work, that way you will at least get something for your efforts if you find a clean PC.
You need to actually meet people and hand them a card and leave a good impression. If I find a business card on the mat, it usually just gets recycled. If someone has given it to me personally with a smile, and a few words about themselves, I will be much more inclined to contact them.

Good luck, but from personal experience just throwing cards in the air and hoping they land in the right place will have a much lower success rate than a more personal approach.

Cheers
Andy
Old 06 January 2009, 11:55 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Are you sure there is enough business in such a small area? I'm not sure about adding the taxi number to the back of the card but getting your cards placed in a taxi might help - especially if it is a very local firm.

A special offer is a tricky one because that needs promoting which means an advert in the paper.

A good way to get yourself some free advertising in the paper (i'm also in PR) would be to call up the local rag with a story about how people need to look at protectign themselves online. The IE issue a few weeks ago would have been a great one as you'd have been able to explain exactly what the problem was in simple terms.

"Local IT expert warns surfers to update computers" etc etc

That gives you some credibility and gets your name out there, people are more likely to remember your cards too.

Good luck!

5t.
Old 06 January 2009, 12:02 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fivetide
Are you sure there is enough business in such a small area? I'm not sure about adding the taxi number to the back of the card but getting your cards placed in a taxi might help - especially if it is a very local firm.

A special offer is a tricky one because that needs promoting which means an advert in the paper.

A good way to get yourself some free advertising in the paper (i'm also in PR) would be to call up the local rag with a story about how people need to look at protectign themselves online. The IE issue a few weeks ago would have been a great one as you'd have been able to explain exactly what the problem was in simple terms.

"Local IT expert warns surfers to update computers" etc etc

That gives you some credibility and gets your name out there, people are more likely to remember your cards too.

Good luck!

5t.
Good idea......worth a try
Old 06 January 2009, 12:12 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

A press release is a good idea but will cost a fair bit to get written and sold in if done properly.
Old 06 January 2009, 12:21 PM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

some great ideas there guys.
yes i do corporate work as well, but seem to be spending a lot of time chasing invoices and the like, and also a fair bit of time travelling, which while it is paid, seems a complete waste of time for me.
a lot of my clients are cutting down on spend, which often means doing a lot of support things "in-house" and only calling me when the wheels fall off.
i'll persevere with the cards this week and then see how it goes...
if i can get 5 jobs out of it, that would be enough to get the ball rolling once more...
i dont mind walking around in the cold, in fact, and some of you may laugh, i got a lot of inspiration over xmas from watching old episodes of only fools and horses, and jokes aside, there are some valuable morales to these comedy classics.

yes, times are tough, but i'm happy to bolt down the hatches and go down fighting if needs be. at least i can then say i've at least tried!!!

i've even applied for a few "contracts" but only at a last resort
-cant really do the 9-5 office politics stuff !!!
Old 06 January 2009, 12:24 PM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Local IT expert warns surfers to update computers
those on here who know me will understand this could have come from me!!!
lol !!!
Old 06 January 2009, 12:29 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
A press release is a good idea but will cost a fair bit to get written and sold in if done properly.
Disagree. We're only talking about a phone call to the local paper not a national campaign and press office.

Sounds like you've got a good plan though Dazza which is good. Once you've got a few customers you should be able to get more simply by word of mouth.

Do you do training at all? Might be a few people out there with new Christmas computers they really can't use properly. The pay off could be in a few months time when things start to go wrong and updates haven't been done etc.

5t.
Old 06 January 2009, 01:59 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fivetide
Disagree. We're only talking about a phone call to the local paper not a national campaign and press office.

Sounds like you've got a good plan though Dazza which is good. Once you've got a few customers you should be able to get more simply by word of mouth.

Do you do training at all? Might be a few people out there with new Christmas computers they really can't use properly. The pay off could be in a few months time when things start to go wrong and updates haven't been done etc.

5t.
Indeed but you'll still need something to send them or they'll ignore you! Worth a go though. Just need a good angle - which can be tough.

Dazza - if you need the right journalist, let me know where you live and what your local paper is (I can find out if not) and my whizzy database will tell me who to call/email.
Old 06 January 2009, 02:51 PM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

ok will bear that in mind matt, and thx to the other positive contributors !!

personally i think PC's are relied upon a hell of a lot more than they used to be, what with homeworkers, kids school work and lonely housewives unable to get on f***book etc!! so maybe its not a bad time

i will report back my market research and anything that worked/didn't work for reference to others!!!
Old 06 January 2009, 03:12 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Instead of, or may be as well as, business cards, go to these people Fat Flyers - Competitive UK Flyers + Posters and get 5000 DL double sided 400g colour flyers. Dirt cheap. You'll have to design them yourself. I'd suggest a picture or cartoon on one side with your name and phone and succinct words on the back saying what you offer.

You can get the PO to deliver but it's not that cheap but I think there are other agencies that you could use.

Try and identify local shops who may be willing to keep some of your flyers on the counter.

Investigate all the local business help you can get e.g. Enterprise Groups. Lots of free marketing and business networking breakfasts. Personally I can't face strangers at 8 in the morning but it is worth it

atb, david
Old 06 January 2009, 04:02 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
Indeed but you'll still need something to send them or they'll ignore you! Worth a go though. Just need a good angle - which can be tough.

Dazza - if you need the right journalist, let me know where you live and what your local paper is (I can find out if not) and my whizzy database will tell me who to call/email.
Agree there i would say that a phone call to a decent journo will result in a "can you write that down for me?" question. Then it is simply a case of stating your argument again and saying the same thing but in an email.

It doesn't need the expense of hiring a PR firm and then a full scale "sell in" which is what you said initially.

Dazza, i would say call first and then if they are interested write something up for them so you don't waste your time.

Also have a read through the paper and see who is writing about what, they might have someone who has done a similar story before etc.

Also like matteeboy i'm happy to help, if you wanted someone to read anything through just let me know, happy to do it Just make sure it is pitched at the right level for the paper - as if you were explaining it to a client - don't be technical just say what people need to do and why, details bore lots of people!

5t.
Old 07 January 2009, 10:59 AM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

thats very kind of all of you !!!

well, here's a funny thing...
got a phone call this morning from a lady who received one of my cards...

she is having trouble with 3 computers in her house, and not had email for 6 weeks. at the end of her tether!!! her husband asked her to ring me to get an hourly rate, however after telling her this information, i added that if it takes me 10 mins, then i would charge for 10 mins!! and also if i couldn't fix it, there would be no cost whatsoever!!! - i also rang her back to save the cost of the phone call (landline calls from my mobile are free after all)

i'm just waiting for her husband to get in and then i'll be over there (2 mins walk from my house).

i'll give them the old "recommend a friend discount"

and no doubt spyware scan will scare the living daylights out of them along with my secuity/vulnerability checker !!

all in all, made it worth walking around in the snow now !
Old 07 January 2009, 11:03 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Nice one Dazza but don't sell yourself short and lose money.
Easy to over discount in these times of woe but you often don't need to.

If you add up the time to get there and back (dead time) and everything else, it will often be more than you think.

Best of luck though - nice to get an early hit.
Old 07 January 2009, 11:16 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Best of luck Dazza, congratulations om getting out and doing something about it all.

I am unable to think of any particular advice but I think you might do very well because there must be stacks of people who need some kind of help with computing one way or the other but don't want to go to a large company in the fear of being ripped off. Also helps a great deal when you can visit them at home without a massive call out fee. I can see you building up a good basis of clients when the word gets around.

Les
Old 07 January 2009, 11:32 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRX_Dazza

she is having trouble with 3 computers in her house, and not had email for 6 weeks. at the end of her tether!!! her husband asked her to ring me to get an hourly rate, however after telling her this information, i added that if it takes me 10 mins, then i would charge for 10 mins!! and also if i couldn't fix it, there would be no cost whatsoever!!! - i also rang her back to save the cost of the phone call (landline calls from my mobile are free after all)

i'm just waiting for her husband to get in and then i'll be over there (2 mins walk from my house).

and no doubt spyware scan will scare the living daylights out of them along with my secuity/vulnerability checker !!

total result there. Big question - did you fix it!!???

5t.
Old 07 January 2009, 11:52 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRX_Dazza

With respect - no, no. Don't volunteer these things unless asked.

OK may be no call out charge but a minimum charge should be OK.

PS. And don't forget the defrag
Old 07 January 2009, 12:04 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Oh yes babysit the Defrag

Well done fella, echo the sentiments about not discounting. You have to remember if you know a subject the cost will sound far more (because you compare it with doing it yourself).
Old 07 January 2009, 12:06 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

One more thing, I assume you are a MS reseller. I believe it's easy to do, my company is a MS Partner so I can get all the freebie stuff. I'm bombarded with reselling and marketing info. You might not make a fortune but can get the work to install, configure,train and repair.
Old 07 January 2009, 12:07 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

and another thing, do you resell hosting, something else to explore.