Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Pension Refund??

Search this Thread

Old 05 January 2009, 08:48 PM
SCOsazOBY
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pension Refund??

If someone has paid in to a pension scheme with Skandia for 4 months but then cancelled and no longer contributes to it, then is it possible to get back the cash that has been paid in for them 4 months?
The scheme was only set up 9 months ago but i thought that the minimum term was 2 years and so if you cancel before the 2 years then you get your money back?
Can anyone advise? Many thanks
Old 05 January 2009, 10:15 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Smile

Yes.
I can advise.
And, no - You can't get the money out but you can transfer it to another pension provider.

Weren't you advised before taking the pension out?
Old 06 January 2009, 12:19 AM
speedking
Scooby Regular

If they wait until they retire then thay can get the cash back rather than having to buy a tiny annuity. HTH.
Old 06 January 2009, 08:37 AM
Scooby Snacks 23
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jods
Yes.
I can advise.
And, no - You can't get the money out but you can transfer it to another pension provider.

Weren't you advised before taking the pension out?
Assuming this is an occupational arrangement, that is not necessarily true. Whilst the Pensions Simplification legislation specified that a member must have an entitlement to a deferred pension or a transfer value (thereby gaining the value of any Employer contributions) after 3 months membership, the 2 year timescale for refund is still allowable (subject to the Rules of the arrangement in question).
Old 06 January 2009, 08:40 AM
Scooby Snacks 23
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by speedking
If they wait until they retire then thay can get the cash back rather than having to buy a tiny annuity. HTH.
Again, not necessarily true. At retirement they could have 25% of the fund value in cash and secure an annuity with the balance. Under current trivial commutation rules, they could only have the whole fund back if the value of all their pensions adds up to less than 1% of the Lifetime Allowance (currently £16,500)
Old 06 January 2009, 07:59 PM
SCOsazOBY
Scooby Senior

As far as im aware it's an employer and employee contribution one and because it was set up last year for about 3 months there is only a grand and a half paid in.
Theres no other pension policies and about 30 years before retirement so thats why i ask if its ppossible to get the cash back now as it wont be worth anything in 30 years time.
I just thought that if you didnt meet the two year minimum then you are entitled to get back what you paid in?
Old 07 January 2009, 12:23 AM
jods
Scooby Senior

Wink

Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks 23
Assuming this is an occupational arrangement, that is not necessarily true. Whilst the Pensions Simplification legislation specified that a member must have an entitlement to a deferred pension or a transfer value (thereby gaining the value of any Employer contributions) after 3 months membership, the 2 year timescale for refund is still allowable (subject to the Rules of the arrangement in question).
I stand corrected, said the man in the orthopedic shoe.
Old 07 January 2009, 09:14 AM
Scooby Snacks 23
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SCOsazOBY
As far as im aware it's an employer and employee contribution one and because it was set up last year for about 3 months there is only a grand and a half paid in.
Theres no other pension policies and about 30 years before retirement so thats why i ask if its ppossible to get the cash back now as it wont be worth anything in 30 years time.
I just thought that if you didnt meet the two year minimum then you are entitled to get back what you paid in?
As mentioned in my earlier post, it is (legislatively) allowable, but if the scheme Rules don't allow it, then it's a no-go.

I'd suggest that you ask the question.