Search this Thread

Old 05 January 2009, 12:48 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slide into a plastic Police State

Bailiffs get power to use force on debtors - Times Online

It now appears that NuLabour have decided that your house is not a castle and if someone wants money off you they can break in and take it. Oh, and if YOU resist THEY are entitled to use reasonable force.

Excellent. It really does appear that nowhere is safe now.
Old 05 January 2009, 01:06 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Great! The woman who used to live in the place I've bought seems to be in debt from all over the place and I get letters from solicitors, debt collection agencies and CID have been to visit once! I've told them all the she doesn't live here any more but it makes no difference!
Anyone breaks in here, I'm gonna get medieval on their asse (well, probably more on their face actually).
Old 05 January 2009, 01:08 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Anyone who tries to break in to my place or use force to gain access (who are not the police) will be getting a screw driver through the neck or rollin pin in the face
Old 05 January 2009, 01:16 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Country gets more like Zimbabwe everyday.
Old 05 January 2009, 03:01 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

but of course mistakes won't be made will they? Or the powers abused....

"It is claimed these powers are already abused. In one case, an 89-year-old grandmother returned home to find a bailiff sitting in her chair having drawn up a list of her possessions. He was pursuing a parking fine owed by her son, who did not even live at the address"

I'll not even go into how the anti-terrorism laws have been misused already.
Old 05 January 2009, 04:43 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

If anyone breaks into my house I will not hesitate to use reasonable force to remove them. And being a big hunting fan my gaff is quite well armed.
Old 05 January 2009, 04:44 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
but of course mistakes won't be made will they? Or the powers abused....

"It is claimed these powers are already abused. In one case, an 89-year-old grandmother returned home to find a bailiff sitting in her chair having drawn up a list of her possessions. He was pursuing a parking fine owed by her son, who did not even live at the address"

I'll not even go into how the anti-terrorism laws have been misused already.
Said
Old 05 January 2009, 04:49 PM
darts_aint_sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by unclebuck
Country gets more like Zimbabwe everyday.
Old 05 January 2009, 04:59 PM
nixxon
Scooby Regular

Never mind the mis-management of the economy- this government has overseen more erosions of civil liberty than just about any other in history, and continues to do so! Highlights have to include that woman arrested for reading out a list of dead soldiers in Iraq, too close to Downing St, and the old codger evicted from the Labour party conference for dissent.
Police state anyone? Or will the Queen of England call for her faithful military to rid us of these scottish oppressors?
Old 05 January 2009, 05:01 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by nixxon
Never mind the mis-management of the economy- this government has overseen more erosions of civil liberty than just about any other in history, and continues to do so! Highlights have to include that woman arrested for reading out a list of dead soldiers in Iraq, too close to Downing St, and the old codger evicted from the Labour party conference for dissent.
Police state anyone? Or will the Queen of England call for her faithful military to rid us of these scottish oppressors?
you will have the fried pizza brigade to answer to for that one
Old 05 January 2009, 05:08 PM
nixxon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mrtheedge2u2
you will have the fried pizza brigade to answer to for that one
Would be doing them a favour too!
Old 05 January 2009, 05:18 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Is this the Governments answer to help people struggling in this current situation. Big of them. What as bunch of goons they are
Old 05 January 2009, 07:35 PM
Spooky Mulder
Scooby Regular

I am not sure how giving bailiffs more powers (actually, in reality confirming the powers they already have under law) makes this a police state.

Bailiffs and the police are two completely separate entities in all ways. I am pretty sure the police would be happy to be without bailiffs and their powers.

Maybe you should visit a police state to understand what you are really saying.

As for Unclebuck - I wish he would just sod off to Zimbabwe and really understand what a lack of civil liberty is.
Old 05 January 2009, 09:17 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Though I do not 100% agree with it, the problem the courts are having is that people know they will expecting a bailiff visit as they would likely know there is a balance outstanding, this would then be passed on to a debt collection agency, then as a last resort be served with court papers, they would then have a chance to defend or pay, if they don't defend after 30 days they are issued a CCJ, if they then default again, 2 months later a bailiff will be appointed.

At least twice a hand delivered letter would have been dropped off at the persons address.

So, it should never really get to that stage imo.
Old 05 January 2009, 10:08 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by mrtheedge2u2
Anyone who tries to break in to my place or use force to gain access (who are not the police) will be getting a screw driver through the neck or rollin pin in the face
My thoughts exactly.
Old 05 January 2009, 10:10 PM
ahar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dedrater
Though I do not 100% agree with it, the problem the courts are having is that people know they will expecting a bailiff visit as they would likely know there is a balance outstanding, this would then be passed on to a debt collection agency, then as a last resort be served with court papers, they would then have a chance to defend or pay, if they don't defend after 30 days they are issued a CCJ, if they then default again, 2 months later a bailiff will be appointed.

At least twice a hand delivered letter would have been dropped off at the persons address.

So, it should never really get to that stage imo.
Clearly you've never lived in a place that some toerag has used as a false address in the past - I have, twice!. The only thing that kept all my stuff safe was the fact that they weren't allowed to break in as the neighbours said that they had been round many times in the day (as well as the toerag using it as a false address trying to break in to get his fraudulent mail).

As usual, calls to the bailiff companies, court, council, DVLA etc etc to explain the situation (i.e it wasn't me, the person was using my place as a false address) didn't get anywhere due to ....

"data protection" (hah, idiocy and misunderstanding of data protection laws more like)

"i'll check it out and get back to you" (i.e. can't be arsed)

"Oh, bank card fraud, yes sir, we'll follow that up and get back to you to get the card for evidence" (yeah right, never heard anything again)

"Why are you opening his mail if it's addressed to him?" (Cause it has a ruddy great red stamp saying bayliff letter on the front and he has never lived here!)

One company even had the cheek to tell me it was illegal to open the mail we received for the guy and that the debt was with the address not the person!

In the end in both places we waited it out and after 6 months or so and they all gave up. I can guarentee that some sodding bayliff would have smashed his way into my place and nicked all my stuff saying that he saw a curtain twitch.

These guys don't bother checking, don't bother with the rules, they just come for you no matter what. Regulation my ****. It'll be:

1) Get address from debtor
2) Get large sledgehammer
3) Knock on door with hand
4) Wait 20 seconds
5) Knock on oor with sledgehamer (bayliff equivalent of "They're coming right for us" for all you south park fans)
6) Nick all stuff in the house
7) Say sorry and give stuff back after 12 months wrangling when it turns out they were wrong but didn't bother doing even the most basic checks

Barstewards.
Old 05 January 2009, 10:59 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Spooky Mulder
I am not sure how giving bailiffs more powers (actually, in reality confirming the powers they already have under law) makes this a police state.
What planet are you on??

Bailiffs cannot currently (without police etc) forceably enter a home, physically restrain occupants, steal property without a walking possession order etc.

If this new "law" starts getting used, i can see quite a few violent situations happening!

Still - all part of the NuLab order

mb
Old 06 January 2009, 12:44 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Godfathers, where will it all end-as if I did not know!

Les