Default Autosport '09

at the NEC.

Only three days to go

anyone from here going?
Old 05 January 2009, 09:52 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not going this year. I've been going to the show for at least 15 years but it's been going downhill & even the live action isn't worth watching anymore The last few years I have on;y gone for the live action but that has been watered down and it's all very predictable

Last edited by Paulo P; 05 January 2009 at 09:54 AM.
Old 05 January 2009, 10:14 AM
richie001
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going
Old 05 January 2009, 03:35 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Agree with Paul, show is not what it used to be. Too much corporate stuff now as the smaller guys cant afford to exhibit any more. I fear Goodwood is going the same way as well.

Chip
Old 05 January 2009, 03:53 PM
JRFRACE
Scooby Regular

yeah i first went when they had that senna exhibit (97 i think) went every year since but the last few have been ropey, i hope that people really enjoy it though and i end up wishing i'd gone but somehow i doubt that will happen.
Old 05 January 2009, 04:29 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

SIDC Have a stand there this year
Old 05 January 2009, 05:07 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

I'll save you the effort

You park miles away from the door. Wait 5-10 mins in the freezing cold for a shuttle bus. Licenced to carry 80 but actually finding yourself one of 2000 other souls squished in.

You wander another 6 miles to get your "paddock pass" (so much for pre-ordering) then stroll around 50 stands that sell stuff you don't actually want to buy. Obscure widgets and fake merchandise. Getting harrassed by the bored Promo girls (whose overall standard is slipping somewhat) into taking a leaflet or entering a prize draw or subscribing to a magazine.

You go to the Live action arena. After a 30 minute delay you get Louise (bloody) Goodman and some guy who you recognise but can't place. They show you the Autosport Award nominees. 15 self absorbed kids with no real talent. They show you some off road cars in a race. Then a F3/FPA "race. Then the V8 stockrods. Then Terry Grant does his stunt thingy. They interveiw Allan McNish and David Coulthard and Eddie Jordan.

Then you trapise around some more. Look at 2 year old F1 cars (with no engines) painted in last years colours. Get mugged on the price of some food. Look at the Classics, look at the auction area. And wonder just who wants some of them. Look at EVERY SINGLE model car vendor (but can't find the one you want ) then squash back into the shuttle bus and go back and pay £10 for parking so you can leave.

I've been for the last 5 years. And don't think I'm going to miss anything by not going this year.
Old 05 January 2009, 06:41 PM
Budgie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by phil
SIDC Have a stand there this year
and my car is on it

budgie
Old 05 January 2009, 06:43 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

And that does just about sum it up Im afraid

Chip
Old 05 January 2009, 06:47 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Lol I was going to go - but to be honest after reading rr_ww sum up I don't think I will bother -
Do know what you mean about the Promo girls standards do seem to be slipping.

Richard
Old 05 January 2009, 06:55 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

rr_ww has it down to a tea

It really is that predictable and sadly there are going to be even less manufacturers there this year and they have been trying to prop it up with the pistonheads show which is nothing more than some of the best road cars in the UK parked up
Old 05 January 2009, 07:37 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

I'm going as I've never been to this one
Old 05 January 2009, 08:31 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Yep, unfortunately I would have to agree with the others here.....

Been to the show 4/5 times over the last 7 odd years, the last one being last year, but the last few times we have been it seems to be a letdown. We even missed a couple to see if things changed or improved but sadly not.

Each year there seems to be less “on show” and just more small trade stands selling crap.

The Pistonheads “show” was also a joke, basically a couple dozen cars all parked up together, just like a car park.

If you have never been you may find it ok but to be honest it’s nothing special.
Old 05 January 2009, 09:14 PM
chrisowe
Scooby Regular

Yep, rr_ww sums it up perfectly except its £8 for parking.
Old 11 January 2009, 07:42 PM
CJ2000
Scooby Newbie

Having just returned from the NEC I have to agree with the review written (although parking is £8 )

Did manage to meet David Coulthard and get his autograph - that was probably the highlight for me.

Saw Budgie's car on the stand - very nice.
Old 11 January 2009, 07:54 PM
richie001
Scooby Regular

I went to today and RR_WW was spot on,compete rubbish glad i didn't pay full price feel sorry for those who did.
Old 11 January 2009, 08:03 PM
340BHP-WRX
Scooby Regular

I spent all day outside trying to put my car back together thinking I was missing a good show but tbh it doesn't sound like I missed much
Old 11 January 2009, 08:11 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by rr_ww
I'll save you the effort

You park miles away from the door. Wait 5-10 mins in the freezing cold for a shuttle bus. Licenced to carry 80 but actually finding yourself one of 2000 other souls squished in.

You wander another 6 miles to get your "paddock pass" (so much for pre-ordering) then stroll around 50 stands that sell stuff you don't actually want to buy. Obscure widgets and fake merchandise. Getting harrassed by the bored Promo girls (whose overall standard is slipping somewhat) into taking a leaflet or entering a prize draw or subscribing to a magazine.

You go to the Live action arena. After a 30 minute delay you get Louise (bloody) Goodman and some guy who you recognise but can't place. They show you the Autosport Award nominees. 15 self absorbed kids with no real talent. They show you some off road cars in a race. Then a F3/FPA "race. Then the V8 stockrods. Then Terry Grant does his stunt thingy. They interveiw Allan McNish and David Coulthard and Eddie Jordan.

Then you trapise around some more. Look at 2 year old F1 cars (with no engines) painted in last years colours. Get mugged on the price of some food. Look at the Classics, look at the auction area. And wonder just who wants some of them. Look at EVERY SINGLE model car vendor (but can't find the one you want ) then squash back into the shuttle bus and go back and pay £10 for parking so you can leave.

I've been for the last 5 years. And don't think I'm going to miss anything by not going this year.
I think that sums it up perfectly

The only thing you need to add is to pray your car is still in the space you parked it in and still in one piece (thats if you take a nice car desired/targeted by the scum/car thieves that target these car parks

Classic car show and motorshow (when the NEC hosted it) were similar affairs. I'm totally disillusioned by the cost of it all and if its worth it.
Old 11 January 2009, 08:26 PM
CJ2000
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by ALi-B
I think that sums it up perfectly

The only thing you need to add is to pray your car is still in the space you parked it in and still in one piece (thats if you take a nice car desired/targeted by the scum/car thieves that target these car parks

Classic car show and motorshow (when the NEC hosted it) were similar affairs. I'm totally disillusioned by the cost of it all and if its worth it.
Understand an Evo was taken last night. This was the first time I attended by was warned to put crook lock on and absolutely anything and everything out of sight (although I do that anyway).
Old 11 January 2009, 09:20 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

I heard about the Evo getting stolen. I can't understand the people that take a nice car. Then leave it outside for 5+ hours in that car park!

As for my show prediction, I've seen pics from various forums. And I'm actuallly dis-appointed to be accurate.
Old 11 January 2009, 09:28 PM
richie001
Scooby Regular

I heard about the Evo getting stolen. I can't understand the people that take a nice car. Then leave it outside for 5+ hours in that car park!

As for my show prediction, I've seen pics from various forums. And I'm actuallly dis-appointed to be accurate.
Its was bad i'm just glad that i only paid £16.
Old 11 January 2009, 09:51 PM
Budgie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CJ2000
Saw Budgie's car on the stand - very nice.
thank you

budgie
Old 11 January 2009, 09:53 PM
richie001
Scooby Regular

seen it as well nice car
Old 12 January 2009, 12:25 AM
scarey
Scooby Regular

thankfully as we were exhibiting, got in free and can look at everything before and after show finishes every day.

Alot fewer people than in previous years for sure.

.....and my feet hurt
Old 12 January 2009, 12:42 AM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

I can't understand the people that take a nice car. Then leave it outside for 5+ hours in that car park!
Yet, i cant understand why not ?

I have a Conti GT, a RRS V8 & an E320 Cdi .... what would i take ?

Whatever took my fancy, the people that wont take there cars to places like this need there heads read ............... its a car ffs. All insured & all snuggled up