iPod Battery issue

Search this Thread

Old 04 January 2009, 07:32 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy iPod Battery issue

Not sure if this should be in Computer Related or not

My old man has a iPod Classic 80gb, its about a year old. The battery life has suffered dramatically recently. He doesn't use it every day. Say every 4-5.

We charged it from fully flat a week/10 days ago and he used it for maybe 30 mins. Put it aside and he's just taken it out again and it won't turn on at all. But will charge.

Common fault? or is this the mythical Battery life issue that was allegedly sorted on the V2 iPod years ago. Apples "Support" doesn't mention anything specific other than it will need charging every 2-3 weeks if not used.

Bit crap if its terminal!
Old 04 January 2009, 07:38 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

I am on my 3rd Ipod now, all due to battery issues just after the warranty runs out.
If it wasnt for the me being loyal to apple and the user friendly platform I would have gone elsewhere by now.

Its worth trying a replacement battery off ebay, If the ipod is out of warranty anyway you only have the price of the new battery to loose.
Old 04 January 2009, 07:57 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

My ipod had a similar issue... if it wasn't used for a day or so, it would "forget" it had any charge in the battery and refuse to turn on.

I found if you did the reset thingy (something like toggle the lock switch then hold the middle and menu (or play - I forget exactly which) buttons), it remembered that it had charge in the battery after all and would work again.
Old 04 January 2009, 08:11 PM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

I had a similar problem with mine. I purchased a new battery from the site below & fitted it my self, took less than 10 mins to do.

ipodstop.co.uk - H-SPHERE

Theres a video on the sites showing how to do it, theres also loads on youtube.

The fiddliest part was opening the case. but you tend to get a tool to do this with the new battery.
Old 04 January 2009, 08:13 PM
wayne9t9
Scooby Regular

Some ipods do seem to have battery issues from what i`ve read. I`ve had mine about 5 years and never had a problem but I do notice it runs longer after being charged off the mains rather than the PC.
Old 05 January 2009, 12:01 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wayne9t9
Some ipods do seem to have battery issues from what i`ve read. I`ve had mine about 5 years and never had a problem but I do notice it runs longer after being charged off the mains rather than the PC.
I stilll have my 2gb Nano i've had for around 3 years I think, never had a problem with the battery, I charge mine off the mains to rather than PC, wonder if that's the issue?
Old 05 January 2009, 12:33 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

iPods do suffer from battery issues, it's quite well documented.

Buying a replacement battery and fitting it is the answer, but not many people are able to do it - so, Apple sell another unit ..... and so it goes on.
Old 05 January 2009, 01:09 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I've still got my 4th Gen iPod, and have replaced the battery a couple of times. It's not terribly difficult to do, but I do wish Apple had made it easier to access. I've also had to replace the hard drive as well, but it allowed me to up the capacity a bit too. The backlight has also gone on the screen, mainly due to the clumsy ape operating the device dropping it I could replace it but can't be bothered (I'm holding out for a 64GB iPhone which I'd use as a replacement for my phone and iPod)

It does seem to be a bit hit an miss, as Rose's iPod Nano (2nd or 3rd Gen I think) has not, touch wood, had a problem with the battery yet and it gets far more use than mine.

I do find if I leave mine for a couple of days without using it that it may not power up, if I provide it with power it is then happy as larry, so I'm guessing there could be some discharge issue happening. I've go an in-car charger, so I typically keep it hooked up to that when using it in the car.
Old 05 January 2009, 05:30 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the replies.

We'll look into getting a battery.
Old 05 January 2009, 05:35 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I have a problem with my iPod Nano - I can't find the ******

The only time I did have a problem the Apple customer service folk were very helpful and sent me a replacement Nano FOC. But that just takes me back to my first problem...
Old 05 January 2009, 05:51 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had a few IPods.
I wouldn't get another with a hard drive - I just don't like the idea of moving parts.
Does you dad really need 80G - those things are pretty big!
I'm not sure about batteries as mine is continually charged from the head unit in my car. Not much help really