Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

window tints - fine /points ??

Search this Thread

Old 29 December 2008, 12:59 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default window tints - fine /points ??

Got pulled earlier today for having front tints on my car, got a fixed penalty notice off £60 and two points on licence, hands up tints were illegal went home and removed them no probs, anyway just wonder if anyone can confirm that £60 is indeed the new fine for such an offence ?? always thought it was £30 ??

although I informed the traffic guys that I was happy enough to remove the tints at the time off being stopped and could I not get a warning ( worth a try ??!! ) I was informed "" no "" let me drive away a car was was deemed to be in an illegal state with no mention off get them removed/ re -tested etc - should they have ???

have owned the car for over five years , purchased the car with the tints on, car has obviously had five mots in that time with no mention off them come mot time, worth contesting the fixed penalty and see if the p/fiscal decides to take it any further or bite the bullit and pay the fine ??
Old 29 December 2008, 01:04 AM
Underworld
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jono300
Got pulled earlier today for having front tints on my car, got a fixed penalty notice off £60 and two points on licence, hands up tints were illegal went home and removed them no probs, anyway just wonder if anyone can confirm that £60 is indeed the new fine for such an offence ?? always thought it was £30 ??

although I informed the traffic guys that I was happy enough to remove the tints at the time off being stopped and could I not get a warning ( worth a try ??!! ) I was informed "" no "" let me drive away a car was was deemed to be in an illegal state with no mention off get them removed/ re -tested etc - should they have ???

have owned the car for over five years , purchased the car with the tints on, car has obviously had five mots in that time with no mention off them come mot time, worth contesting the fixed penalty and see if the p/fiscal decides to take it any further or bite the bullit and pay the fine ??
did he have an instrument to measure light something?? or he just seen it with his eyes???
he should give u a reading of how much light is passing through, and how much is passing through.... and u need to have it re checked in my opinion..

i got stopped once and they had the instrument everything.. told me to remove it and have it checked at the police station within 14 days.... no points or fine
Old 29 December 2008, 01:06 AM
Underworld
Scooby Regular

also i hope u DID NOT present your license at that time...

i was told that means u plead guilty by handing over your license..

has he got proof?? if no, i would contest it say u never had them on, as he got no proof
Old 29 December 2008, 01:06 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Sorry yep should have said he did put the meter on it and confirmed it was illegal.

nope was not asked to produce licence etc but then a quick check off there in car pc confirms everything they require anyway !!

Last edited by jono300; 29 December 2008 at 01:08 AM.
Old 29 December 2008, 01:12 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Our resident traffic cop not on scoobynet duty tonight ?? " tissy " give us a PM if you can mate ??
Old 29 December 2008, 07:34 AM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

I am sure a test case is going through or has just gone through whereby someone has contested the ticket on the grounds there is no light meter reading guides for sunglasses.
Google it, its out there somewhere, Anyways depending on the outcome of that you can go to court using that as a stated case.
Old 29 December 2008, 07:59 AM
Luke
BANNED

Policeman did you a favor, tints are so out of fashion its unreal.
Old 29 December 2008, 08:09 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Timwinner
I am sure a test case is going through or has just gone through whereby someone has contested the ticket on the grounds there is no light meter reading guides for sunglasses.
Google it, its out there somewhere, Anyways depending on the outcome of that you can go to court using that as a stated case.
I hope that fails. Wearing sunglasses, unless they are surgically attached, is nothing remotely like having your front windows tinted.

Anyone who has their front windows tinted and doesn't think they're dangerous is a moron, IMHO.
Old 29 December 2008, 08:12 AM
Luke
BANNED

serious question:

Jonno300, are you that ugly? or did you just want school kids to think you might be a "Gangster"
Old 29 December 2008, 08:38 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luke
serious question:

Jonno300, are you that ugly? or did you just want school kids to think you might be a "Gangster"

Anyone any answers regards the £60 fine / points ?? having just re-read my original post cant seem to see where I asked for peoples views on window tints or does it annoy you that much that you feel you must have your say regardless ??!!
Old 29 December 2008, 08:41 AM
Luke
BANNED

Originally Posted by jono300
Anyone any answers regards the £60 fine / points ?? having just re-read my original post cant seem to see where I asked for peoples views on window tints or does it annoy you that much that you feel you must have your say regardless ??!!

we dont need to be asked on scoobynet , we help ourselves !
Old 29 December 2008, 08:56 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Yep been around here long enough should know that !!!

kick the man when hes down !!!!!!!!!

in answer to your original question - was driving the wifes Hyundai coupe at the time- cant rmember them ever being described as a gangters car so must be the first choice you offered !!!

serously thou guys anyone who can ofer any advice regards the fine / points / being allowed todrive away situation please do let me know ??
Old 29 December 2008, 09:11 AM
Chris.B
Scooby Regular

Been "had" for this before. Didn't get any points though and I was very obnoxious...

I didn't think you could get points, fine yes, points no

Last edited by Chris.B; 29 December 2008 at 09:12 AM.
Old 29 December 2008, 09:15 AM
Underworld
Scooby Regular

What was your light transmission %????

The Law On Window Tinting | Road Tests, Auto Features
Old 29 December 2008, 09:16 AM
Underworld
Scooby Regular

also
f your front windows are tinted to any level you do risk being stopped by either Traffic Police or VOSA (Vehicle & Operator Services Agency) they have light meters to test the light that passes through your glass. If you have a subtle tint fitted then you should just be asked for it to be removed, if you have dark front door windows you could be told you
cant drive your car any further and face a fine and points on your licence!
Old 29 December 2008, 09:20 AM
yoza
BANNED

I didnt know the "offence" was endorsable with 2 points.

How dark were your front drop glass tint in % ?

The reason I ask is that in my view if your using dark tint on the front drop glass you should take it off, and basically deserve to be pulled. But if you have selected light tint for the front drop and darker for the rest then in my humble opinion it is safe.

If it was me in my car ( FRONT DROP LIGHT SMOKE 70% / WINDSCREEN MANUFACTURERS STD WITH 7INCH LIMO STRIP/ REAR 30% / TAILGATE LIMO) I would plead not guilty, when the summonds arrived I would go to my local magistrates court, plead my case, mention sunglasses and ask to see the Light Meters callibration sign off sheet. And see how I got on.

The legal position as I understand it is that the front side dropglass on all cars must allow 70% of light to pass through them. That figure also applies to the windscreens of cars first used before April 1985; any car first used from then onwards has to let 75% of light through the windscreen.

You are only allowed manufacturers tint on the windscreen and a sun strip on the upper portion of less than 10% of the height of the screen is allowed.

The window being tested must be clean or this will effect the meter reading.

Later Yoza

PS. My wife has limo black all round on her car and it was paid for and sanctioned by the councils safety department.

Last edited by yoza; 29 December 2008 at 09:21 AM.
Old 29 December 2008, 09:45 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay just phoned the local police traffic office and was informed that £60 / 2 points is indeed the new fine for illegally tinted windows, so seems like everything else in life its has indded increased in price although they have been good enough to drop the points from 3 points to just two !!!

was also informed that it was at the police officers discretion if the car should be allowed to be driven in such an illegal state.
Old 29 December 2008, 09:45 AM
Underworld
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by yoza

PS. My wife has limo black all round on her car and it was paid for and sanctioned by the councils safety department.
how come???
Old 29 December 2008, 09:47 AM
yoza
BANNED

She is ugly as sin.
Old 29 December 2008, 09:51 AM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

I had the impression it was as Underworld said.

If it's super-dark you'd be told to immediately remove it or face prosecution, if it was a little-dark you'd just be told to remove it.

*goes away wondering the statistics regarding accidents involving vehicles with front tints vs vehicles with blind drivers who just don't look.... *
Old 29 December 2008, 09:53 AM
Luke
BANNED

Originally Posted by yoza
She is ugly as sin.
Yoza , your cruel !