Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Recommend me a bike/cycle

Search this Thread

Old 26 December 2008, 07:35 PM
Biggs
Scooby Regular

Location: East Barnet/southgate on the borders of North London and Hertfordshire
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommend me a bike/cycle

Hi people, im looking for a bike for myself on which to try and get back into shape a little.

I dont know the first thing about bikes and was wondering if any of you guys could point me in the right direction

Im 27,6ft2 and around 15stone if that would make any difference on which to go for.

It will be for road use and as i havent been on a bike for a good 9-10 years now i like something that would be kind on the bottom if there is such a thing.

Not looking to spend mega amounts of money say £500 tops ???

Any input greatly appreciated
Old 26 December 2008, 07:53 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

something like the Boardman Performance Hybrid Urban series from Halfords is a very good bet.
Old 26 December 2008, 07:55 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Where are you going to ride it and on what sort of terrain ?

Bikes aint just bikes these days, best to get something to suit the requirements of it
Old 26 December 2008, 08:04 PM
Biggs
Scooby Regular

Location: East Barnet/southgate on the borders of North London and Hertfordshire

As above mate, just general road (tarmac) use. going to try and cut out all the silly little trips i do in the car for starters.
Old 26 December 2008, 08:09 PM
Biggs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PG
something like the Boardman Performance Hybrid Urban series from Halfords is a very good bet.

Thanks mate i'll look into them
Old 26 December 2008, 09:52 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Biggs - you might be able to do a sneaky and get a better bike than you think.

Tax free bikes for work through the Government's Green Transport Initiative - Cyclescheme, provider of Cycle to Work schemes for UK employers is a way of getting a bike through a Govt scheme that uses tax savings to get you a bargain.

Check with your work and see if they participate - if they do, then you can buy the bike and all ancillary equipment through the scheme and save a fortune.

Then I'd go for a Hybrid / Cyclocross bike. They provide greater comfort than the typical road bike, but frankly you'll have a sore **** whatever happens until you get used to the saddle.

If you get a hybrid / CX bike then you can go for leisure rides on the bridleway / cycle ways around and increase the opportunities to ride the bike.
Old 26 December 2008, 09:59 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bike's,,,,,,,,,,,that seem's hard work,just get in the Scoob and drive,its alot easier
Old 26 December 2008, 10:08 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

With our roads get a mountain bike with front suspension and a decent saddle !

dunx
Old 27 December 2008, 09:00 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Dogs B******s
Bike's,,,,,,,,,,,that seem's hard work,just get in the Scoob and drive,its alot easier
Yes, but that doesnt give you massive thighs, my previously underdeveloped legs look passable now after six months of commuting 14 miles most days.
Old 27 December 2008, 12:20 PM
Biggs
Scooby Regular

Ive been recommended the Specialized Rockhopper 08 21" frame by a mate who works in a bike shop, went and had a look today and quite liked it.

He can do me a deal on one for £300, would any of you recommend it.

It seemed to be well built and the right size for me,quite light too which is a bonus i think as theres loads of hills round where i live.

Any thoughts again greatly appreciated

cheers
Old 27 December 2008, 12:23 PM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

Take a look at Merlin cycles
Old 27 December 2008, 01:15 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Biggs
Ive been recommended the Specialized Rockhopper 08 21" frame by a mate who works in a bike shop, went and had a look today and quite liked it.

He can do me a deal on one for £300, would any of you recommend it.

It seemed to be well built and the right size for me,quite light too which is a bonus i think as theres loads of hills round where i live.

Any thoughts again greatly appreciated

cheers
Make sure you get the right size and its comfortable, can be the best bike in the world but if it doesnt fit you are on to a looser, at £300 its not so expensive that if you dont get into it its the end of the world and if you do you can use it for a year or two and by then you will know whether you want to go for something else.
Old 27 December 2008, 05:48 PM
Biggs
Scooby Regular

Ended up getting the Rockhopper.

Bloody hell i knew i wasn't going to be in great shape but i am shocked at how low my fitness level is.... It's roughly 3 miles from the bike shop to my house with a fair few hills inbetween, It didn't take to long to get home but i did need to get off and push a few times, partly due to me not being able to work the gears out quickly enough but mainly due to the fact i was knackered

I can't say it was enjoyable, i seemed to be in the way of a few cars most of the way back, but i'll persivere and hopefully will start seeing/feeling the benifits in a month or so.

thanks for your help guys
Old 27 December 2008, 06:06 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

I can't say it was enjoyable, i seemed to be in the way of a few cars most of the way back, but i'll persivere and hopefully will start seeing/feeling the benifits in a month or so.

dont worry about the cars waiting behind you its the cars that dont wait for you or pull out even though they do see you thats the problem i've slammed a few car panels with my fist but shouldnt have to be honest .dont let that put you off though i can bike just under 4 miles in under 17 minutes now
i cannot do 4 miles in 30 minutes to work in hull
Old 27 December 2008, 06:12 PM
Wizzbang
Scooby Regular

To make things a little easier for you (seeing as your going to be road riding on it) ditch the knobbly tyres.

These add to your rolling resistance and can really slow you down. Its not until you change to a semi-slick type tyre that you realise how much effort off road tyres sap from you.
Old 27 December 2008, 06:19 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wizzbang
To make things a little easier for you (seeing as your going to be road riding on it) ditch the knobbly tyres.

These add to your rolling resistance and can really slow you down. Its not until you change to a semi-slick type tyre that you realise how much effort off road tyres sap from you.
that is true i have semi-slicks and glide while the other fellows at work struggle to keep pace but scary when its very wet or icy .
seen some slicks on the badboy700 wonder what they are like
Old 27 December 2008, 06:31 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Yes, but that doesnt give you massive thighs, my previously underdeveloped legs look passable now after six months of commuting 14 miles most days.
Pics please
Old 27 December 2008, 08:12 PM
ChrisB

The downside of that is your waist shrinks and your legs grow. The correct size waist trousers then don't go over your thighs.
Old 27 December 2008, 08:25 PM
Biggs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wizzbang

Thanks for the tip i did think it slowed rather quickly whilst just rolling, how much do these tyres go for ?
Old 27 December 2008, 11:44 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

If you really must use a MTB for road something like these are essential :
Schwalbe City Jet Tyre and Tube Set Only £36.95
Old 28 December 2008, 02:19 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

How much!!?

They'll be over 40 quid by the time you add on the postage. You boy's do love to throw your money around.

I use these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Kenda-Semi-Slick-MTB-Tyres-26-x-1-95-for-Road-Offroad_W0QQitemZ310110864321QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK _sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR?hash=item31011 0864321&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1298|6 6%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Half the price and they last forever.

Last edited by unclebuck; 28 December 2008 at 02:21 PM.
Old 28 December 2008, 02:24 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoobychick
Pics please
PM Sent.....

Not really, dont want to have to explain sending pictures of my thighs to stange (not that you are actually strange) women to my missus.
Old 28 December 2008, 02:34 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

PM Sent.....
Not really, dont want to have to explain sending pictures of my thighs to stange (not that you are actually* strange) women to my missus.
*incredibly
Old 28 December 2008, 02:37 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Bloody hell i knew i wasn't going to be in great shape but i am shocked at how low my fitness level is.... It's roughly 3 miles from the bike shop to my house with a fair few hills in between, It didn't take to long to get home but i did need to get off and push a few times, partly due to me not being able to work the gears out quickly enough but mainly due to the fact i was knackered

Just keep at it, you will find that an MTB on the road will demand more energy than a Hybrid or Road bike, I have noticed that even changing to wider tyres makes a difference.

I do 14 miles a day now and barely break a sweat, I am by no means an athlete, 38 years old and 2 stone overweight but I just think if I can average 15 mph under my own power I cant be that knackered, I found that the hills that made my head swim and me feel like puking now are easy and I attack them, out of the saddle and relish it, but then, they arent that big !

I cant see myself going back to commuting exclusively by car unless I get injured or change jobs.

The traffic you get used to, but never get complacent, most drivers are ok, some are ignorant but very few are actively aggressive, dont let them rattle you or cause you to do something stupid, be assertive, let them wait if its your safety versus their convenience, otherwise let them past and give anyone being patient a little gesture of thanks, it goes a long way,

Make sure you have plenty of lights if out at night.

You will feel the benefit, I am now missing it cos I am off and have a cold, its funny when I was a kid, I so wanted a car and now I have one I prefer cycling.