Flu (or just got a cold?) = A&E

Search this Thread

Old 24 December 2008, 08:10 AM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Flu (or just got a cold?) = A&E

all this about people having FLU.

is it Flu or have they just a got a bad cold?

If you have FLU.... real FLU you've bad for weeks, not wanting to move!

I think people just say they have flu.
How many do you know that have a couple of days off work.. with the flu!!

oh please!

Then you hear on the news people with 'FLU' going to A&E for help!! OMG!

who are these people?
The same people who ring an ambulance when they twist there ankle?

spoze it fills in a news gap when nothing else is happening in the world.
Old 24 December 2008, 08:44 AM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People who use ambulances to go to hospital might not have any other means of transport, i.e. the elderly and poor. You'd be quite happy if your grandmother fell over and "twisted her ankle" and didn't call for an ambulance to get it checked out?
Old 24 December 2008, 08:45 AM
All Torque
Scooby Regular

Think I have had "flu" once and belive me I couldn't get out of bed if I had wanted to, it was the worst feeling I have had in my life everything acheing and no strength to do a thing. Anything else is just a cold, you'd think they could find a cure for it by now though.
Old 24 December 2008, 08:49 AM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just recently, I ended up having to get taken to hospital via ambulance (well a little emergency car). Mainly because my other half had no idea what had happened to me, how serious it was etc, plus the only transport he had available at the time was his works van, and 1. he isn't supposed to use it, but 2. I very much doubt in the state I was in, that I could have got into it.

Tbh, as I have no memory of what happened, I don't know if he/his mate dialled 999 or contacted the emergency doctor.
Old 24 December 2008, 08:50 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Clarebabes
People who use ambulances to go to hospital might not have any other means of transport, i.e. the elderly and poor. You'd be quite happy if your grandmother fell over and "twisted her ankle" and didn't call for an ambulance to get it checked out?
I would say that those people are in the minority. Have you been to your local A&E recently? They're normally full of wasters with nothing better to do, hypocondriacs just wanting some sympathy or the usual drunks who get into fist fights and lose. Then you get the genuine person who is in agony and desparately needs help having to 'wait their turn' for 4 hours due to all of the above!

Regarding the original question, yes, I do think people are wasting our vital services, but it is nothing new. I heard the news say ' people going to hospital with flu 'like' symptons', not actual flu. I have had flu before and I was out of action for almost 2 weeks!

Last edited by Gear Head; 24 December 2008 at 09:01 AM.
Old 24 December 2008, 08:57 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Influenza kills people.

If you had it, it would mean being in bed and off work for around 2 weeks.

Trending Topics

Old 24 December 2008, 08:58 AM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Flew? WTF

Yes, I was in A&E recently. The only ones you see are the minor injuries because the major ones go straight in to be seen. If you can walk, then you're out front with everyone else.

I agree, going to A&E with 'FLU like symptoms is silly, but if it's as bad as everyone says it is - and remember it used to kill people - then why shouldn't you go to hospital where you will be given care? I remember having a seriously bad case of tonsilitus a few years back where I was so ill, I could never have looked after myself. Luckily I had a husband who could take a few days off to look after me, some people aren't so fortunate.

Of course there will always be people who take the pee, that's our society I'm afraid.

Last edited by Clarebabes; 24 December 2008 at 08:59 AM.
Old 24 December 2008, 08:59 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

You really know about it if you've got flu, I had a dose of it about 10 years ago and was out of it for at least a week. At it's height all I could do was count down the time until I could have my next dose of paracetamol / lemsip as that was the only thing that would calm the fever for a while. Was just shaking and having hot / cold flushes pretty much continuously.

As I was fit and healthy I didn't need to resort to doctors etc. however it does kill hundreds of the old / weak every year so if you've got it really bad you may need to take that trip to A&E. Everyone else just need to ride it out
Old 24 December 2008, 09:01 AM
speedking
Scooby Regular

I have a friend who is a GP. When someone phones him with "The 'flu'" he asks whether they are standing up as they make the call. If so then it isn't 'flu'
Old 24 December 2008, 09:02 AM
RMA26
Scooby Regular

Had 3 colds in 7 weeks
Old 24 December 2008, 09:19 AM
spireite
BANNED

I went to the doctors ,1st time in 10 years or so .She told me i had flu
Old 24 December 2008, 09:27 AM
Nate
Scooby Regular

I am still recovering from what I would call a very bad cold, I was completely out of it for about 3 days, couldn't move from bed, felt cold when I was really burning up and headaches (constantly).

I decided I just needed to get back to work as i am self employed, I don't get sick pay, and the time coming up to christmas was dwindling, and I needed to get things completed.

A lot of people I know have had similar to me as well.
Old 24 December 2008, 09:48 AM
bullitt_Lynz
Scooby Regular

flu is usually the lead event in someone getting admitted into hospital, usually because the person hasnt taken the advice of their healthcare professional. if you have flu like symptoms, then stay inside, keep warm and drink plenty of fluids (not beer!). people being admitted are usually suffering from dehydration and the effects therein, you will be popped on a drip and made to rest.

so yes, flu can kill.. and if you need to... go to hospital, but not for a 2x day man flu (minor cold!)
Old 24 December 2008, 04:48 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

i do think there is a cure for the flu common cold virus but why would companies or the governments release it when they make billions a year with utter cack placebo's which make you think you feel better but actually dont .
i pay for the flu jab every year at morrisons rather have that than miss even just 1 day at work never mind a full week or two im the old fashioned wait till i drop before i loose money type of guy (tightwad )
Old 24 December 2008, 05:10 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In all fairness, I took my brother to A&E when he was vomiting blood .. they skipped him to the front of the queue straight way !

So people in need do get treated first..
Old 24 December 2008, 05:21 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My mother used to be a cleaner in the wards quite a few years back, anyway i was lying on a bed for 4 hours after badly burning my foot, she got fedup and went to the nurses station as she knew what was going on.

Most of them were stood around drinking coffee having a natter, talk about slack, while i appreciate it's a thankless task a lot of them just need a good kick up the **** or out on yer heels.