Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

OOPS! DIY insurance claim???

Search this Thread

Old 20 December 2008, 04:56 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OOPS! DIY insurance claim???

I broke the bath! Well I'd been struggling for half an hour to get the panel off in order to check where the leak to downstairs was coming from. Unfortunately the top of the (rather manky warped MDF) panel took the lip off the bath (despite me cutting the glued down carpet back to give me room to swing it out from the bottom).

Anyway does anyone think (as I search for the policy book) if this would be covered under the accidental damage bit of my buildings/content policy?

I ask the fount of Scoobynet as these things often have more clauses than the festive season

D
Old 20 December 2008, 05:25 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

What was the bath made of ? paper

just ring your ins co, there the ones who will tell you,

if not b&q have a sale starting xmas eve

mart
Old 21 December 2008, 05:15 AM
richardg
Scooby Regular

IIRC most insurance policies only usually exclude (when referring to bathroom claims) water damage caused by poor workmanship on pipework. i would therefore expect you should be covered, but obviously you are checking this so will have a definitive answer shortly

the joys of fibreglass baths, eh? i would go for steel if i were you when you replace it. likely to be cheaper.

no idea why but people when looking round houses, tend to tap the bath to see if it's steel or fibreglass. they think that fibreglass is "cheap" and of a lower quality than steel, but in fact the reverse is usually true. so funnily enough, if you're replacing a premium fibreglass bath with a cheaper steel one, you are likely to gain more "buyer approval" in future for some silly reason

in my experience, ariston baths are usually a good buy. we used to pay about £78 i think, plus handles, waste etc and fibreglass bath panel(s). but the likes of B&Q usually have some deal or other on
Old 21 December 2008, 05:16 AM
richardg
Scooby Regular

...i am assuming you have "accidental cover" btw
Old 21 December 2008, 09:59 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Yes I have the accidental muppetry cover, but still haven't found the policy to see if it covers me for DIY disasters. Sounds like it should though

I saw a Shires fiberglass bath yesterday for £400. [ Shires Bathrooms / Acrylic Baths / Standard / P Bath ] Was better quality than current one and came complete with a curved glass, properly fitting shower screen for the handy little standing up showering bulge it has by the taps. I then checked the 'sale' in Bathstore and similar but thinner one was £700. It was lit better than in the warehouse though

The chap in the warehouse suggested dropping the bath down 2" on its legs and adding an L shaped seal behind a few new lower row half tiles. This silicon sealant thing just doesn't seem to work as this would have been the third time it was going to be re-done.

D

Last edited by Diesel; 21 December 2008 at 10:04 AM.
Old 21 December 2008, 10:03 AM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

You should be covered, I have made claims for things WAY more stupid, Depends what you excess, Mine has gone up to £300 due to the frequency of claims.
It would be better if they just banned me from DIY.
Old 21 December 2008, 10:07 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

LOL - you and me both mate!!! I did a complete bathroom once, but it cost me the kitchen ceiling in 6 months - always buy a basin wrench to do the taps up in that tight space behind the sink!!!

D
Old 21 December 2008, 10:42 AM
Chip
Scooby Regular

D

Re[place it with a steel bath , not one of those crappy plastic things. It will stay looking good for years and you wont be able to break it either

Chip
Old 21 December 2008, 11:26 AM
apples24
Scooby Regular

i had to tell my insurance company 5 months ago that my 2 yr old daughter peed on my £1200 sony laptop, was quite embarrising lol, but they were fine and replaced it, then last week my daughter stood on it and broke the hinge dunno what it is with her and computers, she dropped there own laptop down the stairs so they no longer have one between them
Old 21 December 2008, 03:20 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Diesel
Yes I have the accidental muppetry cover, but still haven't found the policy to see if it covers me for DIY disasters. Sounds like it should though

I saw a Shires fiberglass bath yesterday for £400. [ Shires Bathrooms / Acrylic Baths / Standard / P Bath ] Was better quality than current one and came complete with a curved glass, properly fitting shower screen for the handy little standing up showering bulge it has by the taps. I then checked the 'sale' in Bathstore and similar but thinner one was £700. It was lit better than in the warehouse though

The chap in the warehouse suggested dropping the bath down 2" on its legs and adding an L shaped seal behind a few new lower row half tiles. This silicon sealant thing just doesn't seem to work as this would have been the third time it was going to be re-done.

D
in the past i have just recessed the bath 20mm or so into the wall - ie the thickness of the plaster. that's the same as what has been suggested above. if your walls are plasterboard, then hack it out and set the bath against the studs. once it;s tiled and the mastic is in place, you sholdn;t have any problems. i say "shouldn't", as that's my experience (14yrs as a chartered surveyor and developer)

be a little careful when looking at funky shapes etc as screens and other parts (ie bath panel) can be more expensive to replace in future....although they do look good
Old 21 December 2008, 03:23 PM
richardg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip
D

Re[place it with a steel bath , not one of those crappy plastic things. It will stay looking good for years and you wont be able to break it either

Chip
i rest my case

(chip - this refers to my earlier reponse. acrylic baths are usually more expensive for some reason. however, most people don't recognise this and when viewing a new house think that acrylic is cheap compared to steel, when in fact the reverse is true. personally, i would agree with your preference for steel though)
Old 21 December 2008, 05:36 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Had mine in for 10 years now and it still looks brand new

Chip