Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Passport validity

Search this Thread

Old 15 December 2008, 11:36 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passport validity

If a passport expires in March can you still use it to go on holiday in February? I know they say you need 6 months on the passport to get into certain places. We wouldnt be leaving Europe, Austria, Bulgaria, Switzerland, Italy or France are the places we're looking at.
Old 15 December 2008, 11:42 AM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Dave, the trouble with Passports is that they're open to interpretation so I'd say your best bet is renew it now. In practice, once you're in a Schengen country you don't need a passport but I've actually managed to enter the UK via Calais without one and all that was required was the signing of form produced by Customs.
Old 15 December 2008, 11:44 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Hmm fair enough, its not my passport, its the misses. Shes hoping to save £100 by not renewing now.
Old 15 December 2008, 11:51 AM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Its 72 for a new passport as I did mine recently too {would have run out Nov 09}

If you do it online they send you the form and you sign it send off the old passport with yourpayment it will soon be back takes about 2 weeks in all.
Old 15 December 2008, 11:52 AM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it not worth directly contacting the passport people, and explain where you are going or considering and find out for sure where you stand? Might turn out to be fine not to renew, but you don't want to get caught out.
Old 15 December 2008, 11:56 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by PaulC72
Its 72 for a new passport as I did mine recently too {would have run out Nov 09}

If you do it online they send you the form and you sign it send off the old passport with yourpayment it will soon be back takes about 2 weeks in all.
It says 3 weeks not guaranteed on the web site. with Christmas post etc too we dont want to take the chance as we dont want to book the holiday until we have her passport back. £114 for renewal in a day and something like £95 for a one week guaranteed service.

Was just hoping to save some money as its an expensive time of year as it is plus the holiday costs on top
Old 15 December 2008, 12:04 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lisawrx
Is it not worth directly contacting the passport people, and explain where you are going or considering and find out for sure where you stand? Might turn out to be fine not to renew, but you don't want to get caught out.
Lisa. As I said, its down to (local) interpretation as to the validity of the passport.

An example.

Jose el Customs Inspector at Malaga airport inspects the passport, likes the look of Dave's missus (gives her the wink, she winks back whilst blushing furiously - all of which is missed by Dave) and gets the nod to be on her way. End of.

or

Jose's mate, Manuel el Customs Inspector del Jobsworth at Malaga airport inspects said passport (knows he hasn't got a cat in hell's chance with Dave's missus) and raises a big stink about the imminent expiry of her passport. Dave's missus wishes she'd not been so tight, Dave loses the Comedy Channel with her - argument ensues. Grumpy missus and Dave loses the opportunity for any conjugal fun for the entire holiday. Downer.

or

Jose's cousin, Diego el Customs Inspector del Manana at Malaga airport couldn't give a toss what Dave's missus looks like, whether she's a drugs mule and Dave's the decoy because he's set himself up on a blind date with his mate's sister so his mind's on other things. Gets away with it.

OK, I've exaggerated but as I said its all down to local interpretation. Basically, we're all looking out for Dave because unless it all goes smoothly he's going to get it in the neck.
Old 15 December 2008, 12:13 PM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the explaination, didn't realise there was so much to it. Saying that my passport ran out about 5 years ago, so I'm not 'up' on these things.
Old 15 December 2008, 12:20 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Passport fees - Identity and Passport Service

£72 on the 3 week but mine came back in 2

check and send is only a few £* more iirc as they just make sure the form is correct

Even if you use the normal service and fill in the form today / tomorrow you will have it back from then to check in 2 days {by the end of the week} and even if you waited until Jan 5th to send it off you would have it back in plenty of time based on the 3 week service after the Xmas postal rush.

I think you are worrying for nothing as you have more than 4 working weeks until Feb.

Check & Send

For just £6.85*, the Post Office® will:

• check and validate your application form
  • send it to the appropriate passport office by Special Delivery™
  • provide you with a unique receipt
  • provide you with a phone number so you can track the progress of your

Last edited by PaulC72; 15 December 2008 at 12:22 PM. Reason: added more information
Old 15 December 2008, 12:25 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Im not worrying about anything, I dont know where you got that from. It was a simple question. I know how to apply and get a new passport, thats not my question Thanks for the help though, appriciated
Old 15 December 2008, 06:39 PM
RJM25R
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't risk it! The outbound airport are entitled to refuse to let you on their plane.

Also, imagine if you were away, and broke a leg and had to spend 3 weeks in hospital, your passport may have expired while you're away!!!! Unlikely, (I hope) but entirely plausible. . . .

Also, if there is 3 months left on your passport, it will be added to your new one.