Ebay: post to "uk" on my sale, item won by Italian with feedback of 1

Search this Thread

Old 14 December 2008, 05:35 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ebay: post to "uk" on my sale, item won by Italian with feedback of 1

I buy a bit on Ebay, but rarely sell.

The highest bidder for my Blackberry is from Italy with feedback of 1.

In my item description it says "Post to: UK"

I have read about all sorts of problems sending to Italy, and I can't find an economical internet trackable delivery service that would give me Paypal protection.

Can I/should I remove the highest bidder and how? Then offer second chance to someone in the UK?
Old 14 December 2008, 05:43 PM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the Italian guy has paid, just refund his payment with an explanation.
Then offer it to the 2nd highest bidder as you say.
Old 14 December 2008, 05:51 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

They have requested an invoice with the total amount. I have not done this but sent a message asking how quickly they need it to arrive. However, I have read about nightmares with untraceability in the Italian postal systems and lots of chargebacks. Am I within my rights to not sell since my listing said "Post to: UK"?
Old 14 December 2008, 05:52 PM
wagrain
Scooby Regular

It's a real pain when this happens.

I plaster my listing with "UK BIDDERS ONLY" and "WILL NOT POST OVERSEAS" and you still get people from overseas wnating your stuff.

Did you only put "Post to: UK" in thelisting or did you specify no overseas bidders etc?

Sold something this morning (to a UK buyer) but I'd had a guy from Slovakia wanting me to send over there, although I must admit the Slovak guy had very good feedback from UK sellers.

ITALY - NO WAY WOULD I SEND ANYTHING THERE!!!

Do so and you'll loose the item and the money.

If they've already paid you, refund them through PayPal and relist it. YOu shold be able to claim your ebay fee's back. All the info is on the ebay website in the HELP section.

I have in the past posted stuff over seas and used the "Airsure Small Packets" service through the Royal Mail which has "Delivery Confirmation". But Italy is a no no for this.

Hang on, he can't ofpaid you as yet as he won't know how much you would charge to send to Italy? Tell him its £200 postage to Italy. If he doesn't want to pay it, then thats his choice!
Old 14 December 2008, 05:54 PM
wagrain
Scooby Regular

Just seen your second post.

Tell him postage is £200 or something like that, or tell him payment must be paid by bank transfer (just needs your IBAN number which is safe to do from your part) He can't claim his money back then so you've no worries other than receiving negative feedback!
Old 14 December 2008, 05:56 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

I sold a mobile to someone from Italy. I told them to pay me in cash which they duly sent to me. No problems.

Chip
Old 14 December 2008, 05:57 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I'm inexperienced with selling, so I just left the default of "Post to: UK" and said I would use Royal Mail Special Delivery at a cost of £10.

If there was a Royal Mail option that included online tracking to Italy I would quote the rate and go ahead, but since there isn't and the feedback is only 1 I will not proceed.
Old 14 December 2008, 05:58 PM
c-o-l-e
Scooby Regular

I would recommend that you refuse to complete the transaction.
If you go ahead the tracking will most likely end as soon as it hits Italy.
The buyer was very likely trawling for a BlackBerry from the UK because they know they can con you by using PayPal's buyer protection.

Since the credit crunch eBay has been plagued with a variety of new cons.
Old 14 December 2008, 06:26 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Well, looks like I might be suckered in as she has replied offering to let me sent it to her friend in the UK or suggesting using another carrier, but to have Paypal protection I must send to her Paypal verified address. Parcel2go/DHL is £23.91 to Italy and provides online tracking. As long as she has a Paypal confirmed address and is happy with this service I think I might go ahead. I know Paypal can still stiff you of course.
Old 14 December 2008, 08:12 PM
wagrain
Scooby Regular

Get her to send you full payment in Euro's stuffed into a brown envelope. The way the pound is going you'll be quids in!
Old 14 December 2008, 08:14 PM
wagrain
Scooby Regular

OR if you send her a PayPal payment request direct from your PayPal account to her PayPal registered address (not doing it via ebay or mentioning ebay on your money request) then I understand the buyer is NOT protected in the same way as if it was done through an ebay purchase!!!!

Worth looking into?
Old 14 December 2008, 09:53 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

For italy i always request cash if possible, and is the one place I use fedex every single time...
Be careful
Old 14 December 2008, 09:56 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
Well, looks like I might be suckered in as she has replied offering to let me sent it to her friend in the UK or suggesting using another carrier, but to have Paypal protection I must send to her Paypal verified address. Parcel2go/DHL is £23.91 to Italy and provides online tracking. As long as she has a Paypal confirmed address and is happy with this service I think I might go ahead. I know Paypal can still stiff you of course.
Can you arrange COD to the friend in the UK?
Old 14 December 2008, 10:34 PM
4X4BOB
Scooby Regular

Mate of mine got scammed by an Italien on ebay even though they had tracking and proof of delivery. The guy claimed he hadn't received it and that someone else in his apartment block must have signed for it and kept it.

Matey lost his 150 quid phone plus the cost of shipping it to Italy which I think cost him 20 quid.

if you do sell to the Italian then cash is the only safe way or a direct deposit into your bank account.
Old 15 December 2008, 09:11 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

I wonder why people still use eBay when it so open to scams. If you have bothered to get proof of delivery then thats it, you managed to deliver it...but still you don't get any protection from Paypal....total sham

Is there any safe way to sell on that place?
Old 15 December 2008, 12:39 PM
wagrain
Scooby Regular

Safest way is to be selctive with who you sell to and how you post.

I don't have problems selling to UK buyers if I'm sending the items special delivery.
And if you are 100% honest and accurate with your description then it reduces the chances of problems.
I also accept returns if people are not happy with their purchase. I've only ever had 1 item returned, but the guy contacted me before he'd received it to say he thinks he's changed his mind. I told him to return the item unopened and he could have a refund. He was happy and still left me positive feedback. If its not faulty I don't refund postage.
And make sure you ALWAYS record serial numbers and use an invisible marker to identify your items - otherwise they can send you some other duff item in its place.