Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

English schools/pupils in Top 3 in Europe and Top 10 in world for Maths/Science

Search this Thread

Old 09 December 2008, 06:15 PM
JPF
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good on our schools and kids Don't you just love the positive slant the Tories put on it
Old 09 December 2008, 07:22 PM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

That is a surprise

Well down...er...done to all involved
Old 09 December 2008, 07:35 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nat21
BBC NEWS | Education | England's pupils in global top 10

Which is impressive.

Well down schools and kids

Well down Labour for making our schools so good
Funny place SN isn't it?

If you'd of titled a thread 'schools are failing', it would of been inundated by now with frothing at the mouth right-wing sneers about the government wasting tax payers money.

Have something positive to say and guess what..... they've all gone on holiday

Well done indeed, just goes to show that the investment can pay off, and the knock on effects of a better educated generation can only be positive.

Last edited by Martin2005; 09 December 2008 at 07:37 PM.
Old 09 December 2008, 07:40 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right up there with Kazakhstan and Lithuania?
Looks like a load of bollox if you ask me.
Old 09 December 2008, 08:43 PM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

got to say well done and why are the tories sayin we should be worried about being in the 2nd division behind the asian countries? are they not allowed a good education ?
Old 09 December 2008, 10:25 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Love the irony in these posts

"Well down schools and kids"

"If you'd of titled a thread"

I guess the rest of the world has more illiterates leaving school than we do?

Gordo
Old 09 December 2008, 11:00 PM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

Why should this study/test/fairytale be any more credible than any other fabricated in the last decade or so?
When and if the majority of teenagers in this country appear able to commun icate with themselves or others in a manner that doesn't suggest they are retarded, then maybe I will accept they are capable of simple arithmetic.
Kevin
Old 09 December 2008, 11:26 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by c_maguire
Why should this study/test/fairytale be any more credible than any other fabricated in the last decade or so?
When and if the majority of teenagers in this country appear able to commun icate with themselves or others in a manner that doesn't suggest they are retarded, then maybe I will accept they are capable of simple arithmetic.
Kevin
If the study said that English schools were failing, then would you believe that?

It's sad that people are so blinded by their own dogma that they can't even accept positive news, instead try and spin it into a negative.
Old 10 December 2008, 08:02 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005

It's sad that people are so blinded by their own dogma that they can't even accept positive news, instead try and spin it into a negative.
Or the opposite!
I find it difficult to believe that people so readily accept statistics comparing one country with another, especially on such a political issue.
Do we know anything of the methodology used in this "study".
Is it dogmatic to be sceptical of these statistics, or merely the result of an educated mind?
Old 10 December 2008, 08:10 AM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nat21
Sorry for the spelling error, thank you for so politely pointing it out too. Changed now. Wasn't concentrating earlier as i was illiterately running One of the worlds largest companies IT operations department single handed at the busiest time of day. Sorry.
No problem - you don't need to be good at written English to be able to do IT. (It's "single handedly" BTW )

The worrying bit is that we've probably slid down this league table in reality in the last decade. Regular stories about A levels being dumbed down, universities despairing of the quality of candidates they're getting, a quarter of children leaving primary school illiterate etc don't really reconcile with this survey, do they?

As a poster suggests above, this feels like government propaganda dressed up as reality.

Gordo
Old 10 December 2008, 08:55 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Outstanding.

I'm only posting in this thread to keep it near the top to rub the Daily Mails brigade nose in it
Old 10 December 2008, 09:19 AM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cster
Or the opposite!
I find it difficult to believe that people so readily accept statistics comparing one country with another, especially on such a political issue.
Do we know anything of the methodology used in this "study".
Is it dogmatic to be sceptical of these statistics, or merely the result of an educated mind?
No it's just sad one-eyed political dogma mate
Old 10 December 2008, 09:22 AM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Kid wrote to the Times just recently complaining that his A levels were too easy.

I'd have kept it under my hat
Old 10 December 2008, 09:39 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Tripe, its took us thousands of years to invent the plane and the car, mobile phones etc. Now the new generations are making even better and newer technology (its not all researched in Asia) and we're saying people arnt getting cleverer, just the exams are easier

Take the good news as it should be.
Old 10 December 2008, 09:43 AM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Only problem is,they come in for an interview here armed with a degree and a bundle of other exams and they can't spell or add up! Not just one or two,most of them!

I'm sorry Dave but it's frightening.

Please God,let everything above be spelt correctly
Old 10 December 2008, 09:47 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

I dont think its the spelling Loz, I'd say you should be putting a space between your comma and the next letter.
Old 10 December 2008, 10:00 AM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

If the study said that English schools were failing, then would you believe that?

Thankfully I am still blessed with both the gift of sight and the gift of hearing, and whilst this remains the case I will continue to believe what I see and hear firsthand rather than the contents of numerous dubiously substantiated articles, the results of which more often than not serve a vested interest (e.g. help the government to convince the population that when they tell us what a great job they are doing, we don't notice their nose is getting bigger).

Frankly Martin, you are terminally guilty of the same kind of preconceptions you continually accuse most others of having. The only difference between you and your adversaries is that they are right and you are left. Do you like the play on words?
Kevin
Old 10 December 2008, 10:11 AM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Thankfully I am still blessed with both the gift of sight and the gift of hearing, and whilst this remains the case I will continue to believe what I see and hear firsthand rather than the contents of numerous dubiously substantiated articles, the results of which more often than not serve a vested interest (e.g. help the government to convince the population that when they tell us what a great job they are doing, we don't notice their nose is getting bigger).

Frankly Martin, you are terminally guilty of the same kind of preconceptions you continually accuse most others of having. The only difference between you and your adversaries is that they are right and you are left. Do you like the play on words?
Kevin
Since when have I been left? (preconceptions??????)

The key difference being that I hear both sides of the arguement then make my mind up, not decide how I feel about something depending upon which political party it comes from.
Old 10 December 2008, 10:19 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Kevin
So you base your skepticism of this report, of school performance around the world on the, 3? school children you have personal knowledge of?

Of course government sponsored surveys should be scrutinised. but since this is an independant report, I do not see where the spin comes in.

of course, were this report to say that English school were performing poorly, I suspect that you, along with others, would be the first to shout from the rooftops.

It's all rather amusing.
Old 10 December 2008, 11:14 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

No it's just sad one-eyed political dogma mate
And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
Old 10 December 2008, 11:24 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cster
And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
Oh man, Have we time travelled again?
Old 10 December 2008, 11:47 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
Oh man, Have we time travelled again?

Your point is?
BTW I think the new Kings of Leon album is a bit middle of the road. Last time I take your advice on matters of taste
Old 10 December 2008, 12:03 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Its an interesting looking league table, England is higher than all of its comparable nations in Europe but only one place higher than the supposed idiots from the USA. Countries like Russia and Latvia that have £1 invested in education have high scores in a subject that it would a appear to need a certain amount of money and investment to propser at. I would love to see a table ranking for each subject.
Old 10 December 2008, 12:16 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

The one thing that bothers me is why freshers have to go on a course to enable them to actually start on the degree course!

Les
Old 10 December 2008, 01:23 PM
austinwrx
Scooby Regular

all nonsense. exams and grades are just easier and easier.

in the sunday times - they did a mock exam test on old maths papers.

so - the straight A and A star students did old gcses and o levels.

what do you think happened? yes basically the older the exam paper the harder it got.

A 1965 o level maths paper- they struggled to get 15%

I know from personal experience, have taken both o level and gcses papers.

chalk and cheese.
Old 10 December 2008, 01:29 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

I've helped my kids on Maths GCSEs homework, and I did O-levels at school. As far as I could see, the topics covered were virtually identical.

Which aspects of Mathematics had been droppe din your experience austin?
Old 10 December 2008, 01:44 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Strange how employers and higher education institutions in the UK claim that the most school leavers are innumerate and illiterate.

I guess that if the tests are dumbed down enough then you can get the results you want.

SCHOOL SUBJECTS TO BE DICKED ABOUT WITH - The Daily Mash

Last edited by unclebuck; 10 December 2008 at 01:53 PM.

Quick Reply: English schools/pupils in Top 3 in Europe and Top 10 in world for Maths/Science