Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Best 7 Seater ?

Search this Thread

Old 17 February 2002, 11:59 PM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ever expanding family means the wife needs a much bigger daytime runabout (I keep the Scoob !)
We want a 7 seater - any opinions on the best out there ?
Top of list at moment is the Vauxhall Zafira - I quite like the trick rear seats that fold into the floor - though not driven one yet.
Others that spring to mind....
Galaxy/Sharan/Alhambra
Scenic
any others ?
Must be "as car like" to drive - wife doesn't want a Spacewagon or such like thats massive.
Good fuel economy/fun to drive etc etc

Any thoughts ?

Ro.

Old 18 February 2002, 10:02 AM
scoobylover
Scooby Regular

we used to have a 2.8 v6 galaxy, it was a good car and drove really well. ford servicing are quite good as well, free coutesy car. They were very good with ours, just out of warranty all the ht leads neaded replacing and as a gesture of good will from ford they paid 95% of the bill as the car was just out of warranty, so i only ended up with a £5 bill.........i can highly recommend the galaxy.
All the rear seats can be removed as well, which is really handy when carrying something big.
[Edited by scoobylover - 2/18/2002 10:03:35 AM]

[Edited by scoobylover - 2/18/2002 10:04:51 AM]
Old 18 February 2002, 10:08 AM
CaptainBeakie
Scooby Regular

Smile

Mates got a Previa and loves it. (Bit sad really) I been in one and they certainly do the job.
Old 18 February 2002, 10:13 AM
Mash
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Ro, I am doing exactly the same! having resisted joing the 'social services mini-bus' brigade I have finaly had to give in. Just sold my Discovery and we have gone for a Galaxy as the car reviews seem to give them a good write up, and it's a good all-round size compared to the rest of the competition, not too big and not too small. The Vauxhall's a good car but not quite as roomy, depends how much space you want. We have ordered ours through Virgin cars and saved a few grand, but you have to wait a few months though.
Mash
Old 18 February 2002, 10:43 AM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys - great info.
I had heard that the Seat Alhambra (same car as Galaxy/Sharan) was better specced & better value for money, just didn't sell quite so well because of the badge - anyone heard similar.

Cheers for the help on this one !

Ro.
Old 18 February 2002, 11:47 AM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

Can't go far wrong with a 7 seater Land Rover
Old 18 February 2002, 12:16 PM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Talking

Ro,

We went for the Galaxy Ghia X 110 TDi last year. All the extras to keep yours truly satisfied, and great for cruising. 40 + mpg.

Don't know how it compares with the VW/Seat, but if you're buying secondhand I guess it's a case of comparing the extras because it's basically the same car.

Booze cruise in 2 weeks time - all the seats out and see what she'll take!
Old 18 February 2002, 12:34 PM
Mash
Scooby Regular

Ro, my £0.02p worth....
for some reason the Alhambra now seem's more expensive than the Galaxy and no better spec'd - must be fashion or something. We went down the Seat dealers some time ago and was expecting much more, but were very dissapointed. They used to be better 'value' eg, higher specs for cheaper price etc, but that no longer applies. Must be badge snobbery or something..You probably know that they are all made on the very same production line in Portugal, so arguments about quality of the VW badged version being better dont seem to hold true - my friend had the Sharan and it was just the same as the others, no better no worse (apart from the name!). You should get the best/biggest discount's on the Ford's...
Old 18 February 2002, 02:25 PM
scoobylover
Scooby Regular

ro we test drove the seat when we were looking at the galaxy, ok it is slightly cheaper but we found it didn't drive as well as the galaxy and didn't accelerate as well either. we also drove the mitsubishi mpv and the sharan but all in all we found the galaxy to be the best one.