Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

problems at work (any lawers out there)

Search this Thread

Old 05 December 2008, 05:40 PM
bootsy
Scooby Regular

Location: Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless. Like water.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problems at work (any lawers out there)

since my wife told her boss that she is pregnant.her boss has been making her life hell at work.and dropping her hours from 24 hrs a week to 16hrs and being difficult as to when she works.my wife and her boss had agreement work out as to when she works. so she can work around looking after and taking our 4 year old daughter to and from preschool.plus my wife never gets a wage slip and has never got a p60 in the 2 years she been there.she has ask many times for both but she gets fobbed off.and we're fairly sure she trying to make my wife leave her job.i've been tying to get a interview with my local citizen advice centre.but i'm open to ideas and grateful for any help
Old 05 December 2008, 06:05 PM
ritchie21
Scooby Regular

She needs to see a solicitor straight away! Haven't done any employment law for a while but there was an EC directive which prevented discrimination against someone who is pregnant-think it could amount to a claim for unfair dismissal if she walks. BUT my employment law is rusty so get some proper advice.
Old 05 December 2008, 06:11 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

The lack of pay slips and P60s is very worrying - is your wife even on PAYE?

The hours drop could be so they don't have to pay maternity as 16 hours might be classed as part time. However, if your on 16 hours a week does that not mean you are entitled to an increased amount of benefit?

Better off telling the boss to stick the job up thier a$$ and worry about getting another job after xmas.

If they are messing you about now your not likely to get any favours out of them once your wife is further along in her pregnancy.
Old 05 December 2008, 06:16 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Looks like your wife doesn't actually work for the company, which is sad, you need proper advice quick sharp.

I hope you get it sorted out after all she should be entitled to what she is allowed to have under UK employment law.
Old 05 December 2008, 06:23 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

I am fairly sure that due to the amount of time she has been there she is entitled to the same contracts as other members of staff, The fact she seemingly has'nt paid tax is another issue.
CAB is your best bet now, Just go there and sit and wait to see someone, All my employment law is from books, I have never taken or been involved in an employment case.

Dont worry to much about muddying the water with the tax issue, make sure you record EVERY incident that you think is a bit sus.

Have a good old trawl through this
Employment terms and conditions : Directgov - Employment
Old 05 December 2008, 06:24 PM
bootsy
Scooby Regular

Location: Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless. Like water.

i rang HMRC and they do have her as working there.plus we tying to get her tax sorted as i'm not sure she if she been paying the right amount and she should have a so money back as shes been paying to much
Old 05 December 2008, 06:27 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

And I quote;

If you're forced to quit your job because of the way you're treated, it's called constructive dismissal. Although there's no actual dismissal by the employer, the end result is the same as if you'd been sacked. It's often very hard to prove that your employer's behaviour was so bad as to make you leave, so you should get legal advice before leaving your job.

The reason for leaving your job must be serious - there must be a fundamental breach of your contract. Examples include:

* a serious breach of your contract (eg not paying you or suddenly demoting you for no reason)
* forcing you to accept unreasonable changes to your conditions of employment without your agreement (eg suddenly telling you to work in another town, or making you work night shifts when your contract is only for day work)
* bullying, harassment or violence against you by work colleagues
* making you work in dangerous conditions

The employer's breach of contract may be one serious incident or the last in a series of less important incidents that are serious when taken together.