Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

dyslexia?

Search this Thread

Old 01 December 2008, 11:46 AM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry dyslexia?

what age should Dyslexia be diagnosed these days? i am asking as i have noticed that my 8 year old daughters writing is very odd. i have never seen writing from a Dyslexic child but i am sure it is what my daughter has.

she can read her writing but if i wrote it in the correct way she has little idea what it says. i have looked at bits and pieces on the net and have been to see my daughters teachers this morning. they all agree with me.

is it right that i should spot it and not them, and why so bladdy long?

she already has extra help at school with her writing as she is very behind but no mention of Dyslexia.

should i be splitting feathers or am i over reacting?
Old 01 December 2008, 12:08 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is absolutely no point in apportioning blame.

You know that the way forward is to discuss the situation with her school and see what can be done about it. dl
Old 01 December 2008, 12:12 PM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Sufefrer. Too lod!
Old 01 December 2008, 12:15 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

I was not diagnosed until I was 17, I went through school thinking I was stupid, At college they found out why I was having trouble and now I am very successful in my field with a degree to back it up.

My point being, Don't worry about the fact it was'nt picked up, be grateful it has been now and work towards your daughter achieving.
Old 01 December 2008, 12:25 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

as my daughter had so many problems when she was born and has managed to cope with a relatively normal life, i was a bit upset that she fell through the net with this as there has been so much about Dyslexia in the press. i thought schools knew what to look for.

i know my daughter will be able to deal with this 'new' problem and take it in her stride but i have reservations about the school managing her problems. the teacher has already told Angel that if she doesn't say 'WOW' when she looks at her homework then she wont give marks. this was in the last few weeks.

the funny this is that i can read my daughters writing pretty well lol

i have never come across this condition before as no one in my family has had it so i am a bit lost and worried about her future. i know that sufferers can go on to lead perfectly normal lives and that it wont hold them back...i just have a mothers worries about my daughter

and why is Dyslexia such a difficult word to spell?
Old 01 December 2008, 12:30 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

Believe it or not if you have Dyslexia its actually not that hard to spell, You tend to remember spellings rather then learn them (its hard to explain)

Please dont worry to much about the condition, All you need is to learn in a different way, I use colour flash cards. It certainly doesnt make you less intelligent than other people. In fact some of the greatest minds in the world suffer from Dyslexia.

Your daughter will find a way to learn that is best for her and I am sure the condition will not hold her back one bit.
Old 01 December 2008, 12:37 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Timwinner
Believe it or not if you have Dyslexia its actually not that hard to spell, You tend to remember spellings rather then learn them (its hard to explain)

Please dont worry to much about the condition, All you need is to learn in a different way, I use colour flash cards. It certainly doesnt make you less intelligent than other people. In fact some of the greatest minds in the world suffer from Dyslexia.

Your daughter will find a way to learn that is best for her and I am sure the condition will not hold her back one bit.
thanks for that

my daughter wrote her xmas pressie list and that when i noticed something was wrong. she wrote what she did with ease and could read it all back to me. she had no problem at all. i am the one with the problem i think. there is such a bad stigma attached to the condition, it will just take a bit of time getting used to it.

i suppose i should wait until she is officially diagnosed but you still worry that not enough is being done.

any suggestions that i might try to help her?

Trending Topics

Old 01 December 2008, 12:41 PM
andys
Scooby Regular

Well I was 22 and at the end of my first years study for my PHD. Other effects I suffer from include a lack of coordination and generally being rubbish at sport and lack the ability to do anything creative especially writing.
Old 01 December 2008, 12:45 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andys
Well I was 22 and at the end of my first years study for my PHD. Other effects I suffer from include a lack of coordination and generally being rubbish at sport and lack the ability to do anything creative especially writing.

are you saying that it has held you back.......?
Old 01 December 2008, 12:48 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

Have a look here it should help to put your mind at rest.

Being Dyslexic | Dyslexia Information, Inspiration, Advice, Support & Products
Old 01 December 2008, 12:52 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Google "Support for Dyslexia" and you will find a mine of mostly very useful information along with practical advice.

And it's not the end of the world by any means. dl
Old 01 December 2008, 12:53 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

thanks guys
Old 01 December 2008, 12:53 PM
andys
Scooby Regular

No but certainly sent me down the science route where you deal with facts rather than having to be creative. I also i have a near photgraphic memory as a result.

Last edited by andys; 01 December 2008 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01 December 2008, 01:01 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andys
No but certainly sent me down the science route where you deal with facts rather than having to be creative. I also i have a near photgraphic memory as a result.

Angel is exceptionally good with maths and drawing and she is very creative.

she has sight problems too so her road will be a bit more bumpy but i am sure she will get there in the end
Old 01 December 2008, 02:12 PM
RobinSherwood
Scooby Regular

The teenager I work with (now 18) made it through his entire school career undiagnosed. He was accused of being lazy etc.,.. but the reason he wasn't reading things was in fact because he found it difficult but didn't realise it if that makes sense. It was eventually identified by a friend of mine who is an English academic.

On the plus side he is now doing a vocational course that is not significantly affected by the dyslexia.

Also as is often the case he has significant talent in other areas.

It did make me cross though that such a bright individual could be let down so badly by the educational system etc.,..

but Sara you know she has it now so can make sure she gets the right help and also look out for whatever her talent is.
Old 01 December 2008, 06:48 PM
Removed.
Scooby Regular

I wasn't diagnosed until my last year at school, in the early 80's. The remedial teacher decided to do some tests, as he was convinced there was a good reason for my issues. I'd always had trouble with handwriting, written spelling, getting numbers mixed up when writing. It was always assumed that I was a lazy slacker, or difficult. Quite why you'd deliberately put capiTals in the midDle of words, or sawp teh leTerts aurond when writing, but be a champion speller when speaking out loud My main problems now are getting numbers mixed up, so IP addresses are fun, 192.168.1.1 might come out 192.186.1.1, and I won't notice, and I sometimes can't tell the difference between a "T" and a "Y". Good job they're next to each other on the keyboard, NOT!

I've spent my whole career in electronics, telecomms and IT, and it hasn't held me back, and it's not something others even notice. They just assume I can't type!

It's a much better these days, with much better support, both from schools and support groups. Whilst it may be a challenge at times, it shouldn't be seen as an insurmountable problem. As others have said, many great inventors, scientists and thinkers have dyslexia, it hasn't held Richard Branson back, or JFK, Einstein, Agatha Christie or Sir Steven Redgrave.
Old 01 December 2008, 09:48 PM
andys
Scooby Regular

I also have problems with left and right. I know which is which but will oftern say the opersite to the one I am thinking off. Drives my wife mad when giving directions
Old 01 December 2008, 09:59 PM
Sti_Prodrive
Scooby Regular

Location: LONDON MANDEM - At Da V-Power Petty Station Fillin Up

Dyslexia is spoted at a very yougn age most of time.. The teachers should of known about this & she should of been given extra help, you guys should of been informed regarding this via the school!

She can get loads of extra help & one to one lessons with special need's teachers in school. I know this because I am dyslexic too.

The best way around this to practice well & give her loads of love & support thur out her childhood, give her things to read everyday & let someone check it thur & loads of spelling test's.

hope this helps as it did for me...