junior school teachers with jack boot rash

Search this Thread

Old 25 November 2008, 06:50 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default junior school teachers with jack boot rash

my little lad is in tears,

the hour he spent on his homework last night isnt enough.
its got loads of corrections thru it and he rthinks he has to do it again.

ive half a mind to go into school and punch her right in the ****.

im not saying hes perfect, but hes the youngest in the class, does everything hes supposed to
Old 25 November 2008, 06:55 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

aw,bless him doe she realise how long he spent on his homework? if there are marks all through it, does she not offer some gentle encouragment as to how it needs to be done?

I've always hated teachers no point in losing your temper with her though, it'll just make her more unbendable towards your lad.. can't you go and have a 'nice' chat with her, and point out how this has affected your lad.... he'll only end up being resentful towards school and his work if there isn't any encouragement from her

Hasn't there been issues with this teacher before?

Last edited by little-ginge; 25 November 2008 at 06:59 PM.
Old 25 November 2008, 07:40 PM
jbl
Scooby Regular

If it's really bothering you then go and make an appointment to see the Headteacher. Explain what has happened and ask that he/she looks into the homework issue in general, not just for your child. Ask that the Head keeps this confidential as you are concerned for the possible consequences that may arise. Ask for the Head to keep you informed and likewise let him/her know if the situation improves or not.

Any other action will get you nowhere !

JBL
Old 25 November 2008, 07:44 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is nice to hear a teacher supporting high standards. Should she accept substandard work or get him to raise his game?
Old 25 November 2008, 07:48 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

Hes seven and not yet done the harvard entrance exam
Old 25 November 2008, 07:50 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

he appears to be one of the brrighter ones as well, and is not usulally in trouble, there are no words of encouragewent to build him up, just big lnes through what hes done.
ive no intention of turning this into a racist thing, but i bet she wouldnt dare do it in the muslims books,
Old 25 November 2008, 07:53 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Primary school teachers in general know what they are doing (having spent 4 years doing a degree then doing a one year NQT) I would trust her on this one.
Old 25 November 2008, 07:56 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

I dont think kids that age should be doing homework
Old 25 November 2008, 07:59 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Post up the scanned work?

Are the marked corrections accurate?
Old 25 November 2008, 08:00 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

im sure shes competant, but
Correction does much, but encouragement does more.
Old 25 November 2008, 08:14 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by j4ckos mate
7/10 must try harder

Old 25 November 2008, 08:16 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I'd love to encourage you, but how can I when you display that standard of spelling and punctuation? Prahaps your being ironnick?
Old 25 November 2008, 08:18 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

yes i thought that would appear, well done.

getting back on track, though,
at seven he gets homework three nights a week, and a reading book every night
He's three stages in front of his mate, not three books three stages,
ive just been sat with him and a times table chart, and hes minds not on it as he worried about getting told off tomorrow.
Old 25 November 2008, 08:18 PM
Lisawrx

Totally agree. Whilst teachers have to ensure a child learns how to do things correctly, there are ways and means. I would imagine, pointing out mistakes, but in a more positive way than big red marks through them, would be of greater benefit all round. He is only young, and yes it's best to get them doing things right as early as possible, just focusing on the negatives will only make him disappointed, and has the potential to do more harm than good. IMO.

I think all you can do is give him a boost at home, reassure him. If needs be go to the school as others have said and discuss your concerns.
Old 25 November 2008, 08:21 PM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

i think schools send to much homework these days my daughter had a 3 weeks written assignment when she was 7, i thought it was a little much and my 4 yr old started school this year and got home work her first day. kids need to be left to be kids, there is a lot of pressure being put on primary school kids and i dont think its fair
Old 25 November 2008, 08:23 PM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

lady across road is a primary school teacher and is looking for another job, the paperwork and workload is just plain stupid she says
Old 25 November 2008, 08:24 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

I had a teacher like that when at middle school. He was a real b@stard and would really put the boot in. All the kids were scared of him at first.

But, over time I grew to really like, and look up to him as he dragged my standards of maths right up to where they should be, and pushed me to do well into high school.

Looking back, he was the best teacher I ever had, and one of the few I still remember to this day.
Old 25 November 2008, 08:25 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

i have found the problem is when they both have alot, and it can be 8pm when the both of them are finished, you cant just send them to bed, you want to be with them and cuddle them both.

i was just a little annoyed earlier on, anyone with any basic man management skills nows the best way to get the best out of peiople, and i would expect teachers to have similar qualilties
Old 25 November 2008, 08:37 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

ive no intention of turning this into a racist thing, but i bet she wouldnt dare do it in the muslims books,
My sister in law teaches in an inner-city school, with a range of caucasion, black, asain and mixed-race children of varying religions.

A couple of weeks ago she asked me if I thought that a piece of work she had to mark met the guidelines to which she had to mark.

I struggled to read over 75% of the words, found maybe 10% of the words I could decipher had the correct spelling, and failed completely to understand what the piece of work was about.

I was given another piece to look at and asked if I thought that this one met the marking criteria. This piece was perfect in all senses of grammar, spelling and content.

Both children are the same age. That's the only info I knew. I was even asked what conclusions I could draw from the two pieces.

I guessed that the first was by a boy, the second a girl. That was correct, I however did not pick up on the fact that the boy is of English caucasian decent while the young girl is an African national who's native tongue is French, English is her second language and she's been in the UK for under two years. I asked if the boy was of the "special needs" bracket, but no.

I wondered how my sister-in-law is supposed to give a positive grade to the boy and encourage him, when what he produces is on par with a two year old and a Crayola? He seems to be a waste of effort IMO, and in my sister-in-law's view, her time would be better spent on encouraging the bright and talented ones, even should it require pointing out their mistakes as it can only help the improve in the future. And that's regardless of the race/religion/how smelly the child is.
Old 25 November 2008, 08:48 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Bloody hell

my 5 year old gets 2 reading books per night, he,s brought home 3 tonight,!!

and he's on the set above everyone else in his class for reading.. oh and he

gets maths and English homework twice a week as well

Mart
Old 25 November 2008, 08:48 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

well my school is in a very affluent area, there isnt a house near it under 200k, we get all the q7's and rrs doing the school run and the school registration i would estimate contains around 50 percent asian kids, many have english as a second laguage, and i would say again that hes quite bright compared to his peers, and the youngest in his class, gets tops marks n most things but doesnt get any encouragement in his marking remarks, and i wonder if she dared do it in any of the muslims childrens books.

im no teacher im an airfreight manager,
there is no correlation ..

but when i see someone struggling i help them,
show them they are nearly there but not quite.

so in fact am i to understand at your sister in laws school the slower ones dont get nurtered? just left to the fairies?
does offsted know?

Last edited by j4ckos mate; 25 November 2008 at 08:53 PM.
Old 25 November 2008, 08:55 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

so in fact am i to understand at your sister in laws school the slower ones dont get nurtered? just left to the fairies?
does offsted know?
Offsted gave them an outstanding report and told other inner city schools to follow the example.

To be honest it's not case of the slower one's not being nurtered, it's a case of stopping them assaulting the teachers and other pupils, throwing fire extinguishers around and disrupting the classes in which the one's who do have some ability can actully be nurtured. It's not uncommon for parents to have to sit in on lessons to stop their children being disruptive and get them to do their work.
Old 25 November 2008, 08:58 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't

I wondered how my sister-in-law is supposed to give a positive grade to the boy and encourage him, when what he produces is on par with a two year old and a Crayola? He seems to be a waste of effort IMO, and in my sister-in-law's view, her time would be better spent on encouraging the bright and talented ones, even should it require pointing out their mistakes as it can only help the improve in the future. And that's regardless of the race/religion/how smelly the child is.

thats a good way of thinking,bit like the governments way of thinking, make the rich richer,the poor poorer.

if the girl is good at english etc then good,why does she need MORE help,whereas the boy is lacking and needs help your sister in law would rather welch out and have it easy,help the one who doesnt need any further help at her age.
Old 25 November 2008, 09:11 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Rig
thats a good way of thinking,bit like the governments way of thinking, make the rich richer,the poor poorer.
And there's an old saying around here "You can't polish a turd".

Originally Posted by The Rig
if the girl is good at english etc then good,why does she need MORE help,whereas the boy is lacking and needs help your sister in law would rather welch out and have it easy, help the one who doesnt need any further help at her age.
She may be terrible at maths and need encouragement in that area, but at least she doesn't bite or hit her teachers or destroy the property, smash windows or steal from the children and staff as a lot of the less bright pupils do.
Old 25 November 2008, 09:13 PM
RyanSTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fatherpierre
I had a teacher like that when at middle school. He was a real b@stard and would really put the boot in. All the kids were scared of him at first.

But, over time I grew to really like, and look up to him as he dragged my standards of maths right up to where they should be, and pushed me to do well into high school.

Looking back, he was the best teacher I ever had, and one of the few I still remember to this day.
spot on that, maby the teacher just wants to encourage the lad to do well. no point in praising bad work. remember as well when you were at school, did you tell your parents what was happening or what you wanted them to hear not saying he's a bad lad or anything but my parents still think i was a grade a student. lol
Old 25 November 2008, 09:17 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Would you still feel that way if your child was the bright one in the class?
Old 25 November 2008, 09:27 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
Would you still feel that way if your child was the bright one in the class?

Yes,i currently do Cause i have 1 of each a clever one and one that needs help and im the dad to both , i think

Last edited by The Rig; 25 November 2008 at 09:30 PM.
Old 25 November 2008, 10:07 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

yes i thought that would appear, well done.

getting back on track, though,
at seven he gets homework three nights a week, and a reading book every night
He's three stages in front of his mate, not three books three stages,
ive just been sat with him and a times table chart, and hes minds not on it as he worried about getting told off tomorrow.
That seems a hell of a lot for a kid of 7. My Son is at college and gets about that amount.

Poor bairn, I'd be having a quiet word with the teacher. If he is going wrong as much as her marks suggest, maybe she needs to learn to teach kids his age, a bit better.

Also, I would let him know, you are not disappointed in his work and make sure you give him lots of praise for the bits she did not put a red mark on.
Old 26 November 2008, 08:15 AM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

my little lad is in tears,

the hour he spent on his homework last night isnt enough.
its got loads of corrections thru it and he rthinks he has to do it again.

ive half a mind to go into school and punch her right in the ****.

im not saying hes perfect, but hes the youngest in the class, does everything hes supposed to

I'm probably going to get flamed for this but....

I'm shocked your first reaction is to want to punch her lights out. There is too much of 'every child is a winner' nonsense in this country. Your teacher has taught your son a lesson in reality ie sometimes you get things wrong/fail.
My reaction would be to comfort my son but then tell him in no uncertain terms that he needs to try harder if he wants success (yes even at 7). I would make sure he knew that I supported the teachers actions.

Your son has probably picked up from you that you are angry at the teacher. In his mind this can easily translate into a somewhat bad attitude, ie whenever he is corrected by a teacher it is the teachers fault not his.

This is sometimes the difference between children who flourish by taking every criticism positively to do better and those who blame everybody and everythiing else for their failures.To some extent you have adopted this attitude yourself by blaming the teacher for your sons bad marks rather than look at what can be done by you/him to improve matters

I'm not having a dig at you or your son personally as I have never met either of you so please don't take my comments as a personal attack, its just a matter I feel very strongly about
Old 26 November 2008, 08:28 AM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

Good Lord above, your kid put in a **** bit of work and got slated for it.
It happens. Its how you progress with purpose in life.

You fail, you learn and next time you succeed.

I also have a similar story to Father Pierre above, Mr Bulgar maths and English teacher at age 10/11, brilliant and his motto was "Everybody except the winner is a loser"

Last edited by Peanuts; 26 November 2008 at 08:42 AM.

Quick Reply: junior school teachers with jack boot rash