Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Egypt for a holiday any good ?

Search this Thread

Old 25 November 2008, 02:33 PM
vallumlj
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Egypt for a holiday any good ?

I am thinking about taking the other half on holiday in late march early april and Egypt is coming up a good price. We are just looking for a nice beach hotel that is all inclusive.

I think i have found a hotel its called the Three Corners Saint George

Whats Sharm / Naama bay like is it safe to walk around. I heard a lot about the blokes trying it on round the pool with your bird if you go to get a drink or something. Does this happen a lot ? It would **** me of if it happen all the time.

Would you recommend going there.

Thanks
Old 25 November 2008, 02:57 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Very safe and personally never had any problems. Its best to stay in a place a little bit outside Naama bay as it will be more peaceful just make sure its somewhere not to far.
Old 25 November 2008, 03:19 PM
jonny_693
Scooby Regular

Hope its good, just booked Sharm for May. Heard the same about being hastled but it can't be any worse than Turkey. Its a pain in the *** but I'm willing to put up with it for 33deg heat.
Old 25 November 2008, 03:34 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

A relative of the GF went last year, she is quite well travelled but vowed she'd never step foot again in Egypt!!!!
Old 25 November 2008, 05:00 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

We got back from a week in Egypt last Monday. We stayed in the Barron Palms hotel at Sharks Bay in Sharm. The weather was excellent and the marine line was out of this world (you MUST buy snorkling equipment or take some with you as you can't miss out on swimming with the fishes)!

The hotels are largely just large all-inclusive complexes dumped in the middle of the desert along the coast line. They are perfectly safe, as was Naama Bay (during the day at least, no idea about night). However, the shop keepers will pester you NON-STOP to the point where we just didn't go near any shops at all, which is a shame since 'browsing' is part of holiday life. It's just not worth the hassle IMHO and I can't be bothered to ask what price stuff is and then barter for it. NOTHING is labelled and if you show an interest in a good by asking you'll face the hard sell and/or life sob-story. Furthermore, 90%+ of what is for sale is cheap tat or fake.

This was also my first time in a Muslim country. I stress what I'm about to say is not a racial slur but just my opinion and I am entitled to it. I found much of the culture and belief system to be quite backward and especially with regards to their attitudes to women and the female form. I'd not rush back to a Muslim country again. For example, one night Devils Advocate was showing (with Reeves and Al Pacino) on the local TV. They cut from when he walks up the empty road to the part just after he shoots himself in the head and is back at the original court case in the toilets. In short, they cut out the 20 minutes that explains the entire film simply because the blonde chick has her chuff out. Good luck making any sense of it if this was your first viewing.

Our hotel was a 5-star all inclusive and it was super-clean. Borderline...all the staff have O.C.D. type clean! However, the food was simply adequate and I strongly suspect that would be the case all across Egypt. Remember this was a 5-star hotel so I expected waaaaaaaay more than 'adequate'! I doubt there is a culinary experience to be had and your local cheap restaurant back home probably serves up nicer tasting dishes with fresher ingredients and less contamination. You WILL almost certainly get the ****s as well; we didn't get full blown food poising and it didn't affect our holiday too much but despite every precaution, drinking plenty of water and staying in a top hotel we both had runny bums. Our room also had two bathrooms; at first we couldn't figure out why.....now we know, it's so you can both blow your britches at the same time

As for women, the locals were generally nothing but nice to me and the wife. However, one day I left the beech early to go for a snooze and she says when she went to the bar for a drink a few of them made her feel uncomfortable as it was clear they were speaking in their language about her and graphically so.

I'm probably coming across as overly negative. For assured sun and marine life it was excellent and we certainly didn't have a 'bad' holiday. However, it costs us around £1600 for 7 days including all our spending money and I know that for that budget I could go to the likes of Grand Canaria or Tenerrife, stay in reasonable digs, eat out at the best restaurants every night and do plenty of activities and excursions. GC or Ten' would be a MUCH better use of your £1600 IMHO and you are assured the sunshine over there too.

All in all, ok....but we'd not rush back.
Old 25 November 2008, 05:34 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I off to sharm in just over 3 weeks Staying in an all inclusive hotel but narmma bay is pretty cheap and quite busy, loads of bedouin bars to crash out in and have a drink and I'm sure its a Pasha nightclub smack in the middle. The Hard rock cafe is the cheapest one I have ever eaten at even cheaper than america. The british bar is pretty naff as its a bit like a old mans social club but it has constant sky tv on You can't buy alcohol in many places apart from barsd though as I nearly walked out of a shop with a crate full of non alcoholic drinks so make sure you check the bottle if your gonna buy stuff from a shop
Old 25 November 2008, 06:26 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

We went last year, took my youngest daughters friend with us, 14 year old with long blond hair. In the hotel complex everything was very civilised and ultra clean. Went to Naama bay at night and the local lads wouldn't leave her alone, kept grabbing hold of her and almost dragging her off at one point. If your other half has blonde hair get her to dye it.

Other than that it was a great holiday
Old 25 November 2008, 06:33 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Pikey place in my opinion.
Old 25 November 2008, 06:45 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

i have said it before, as long as my **** contains a hole i will never set foot in that country,

i deal with five or six different companies over there, and consider them all untrustworthy.
my wifes mate is down 80k after buying a shop and a villa in sharm, usual story single mad older woman young arab, she cant register the business in her name, he can. woo's her, gets married to someone elseso she is kissing goodbye to 80k.
Old 25 November 2008, 06:54 PM
jonny_693
Scooby Regular

Interesting, I refuse to be put off though. I'd heard mixed reviews before I booked and I've paid way less than £1600 for a week 5 star AI.

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
This was also my first time in a Muslim country. I stress what I'm about to say is not a racial slur but just my opinion and I am entitled to it. I found much of the culture and belief system to be quite backward and especially with regards to their attitudes to women and the female form.
Went to Turkey for the first time in October and found it the same. A week after We went my parents and 13 year old sister went to the same area. On 2 seperate occasions shopkeepers asked my parents if my sister was a virgin I know places have different cultures and so but theres some slimey f*ckers over there. I wouldn't advise taking a kid of similar age espeicially if they've light hair.
Old 25 November 2008, 06:56 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

There are some great places to eat in sharm the little buddhah in naama bay has geat food the askabash fish bar is also good the restauants in the four seasons are reportedly fantastic but never eaten there myself. Like many tourist places you need to search for good food and it is rarely cheap.
Old 25 November 2008, 08:05 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

we went to turkey, and had no problems, both kids are blonde and blue eyed,(girl and boy)
although ny lad had, galatasary, besiktas, footie shirts and got mithered to death and hugged or insulted everywhere we went it was bloody funny. the nights her didnt wear them they asked why not.
Old 25 November 2008, 08:26 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

egypts great, weve been and enjoyed it

Mart
Old 25 November 2008, 10:56 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Funny how we all have different experiences. We stayed in Luxor 4 years ago and had a fantastic time, would certainly put this near the top of all the places we’ve been.

Watching the sun come up over the Nile is quite an experience.

Old 26 November 2008, 09:46 AM
vallumlj
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the comments. It made a interested read. I dont think im going to chance it and waste all that money. I have a high standard lol.

Luxor might be ok as it might not be as busy as Sharm.

Any other ideas where to go
Old 26 November 2008, 10:27 AM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

What about Dubai?
Old 26 November 2008, 11:09 AM
SetoN
Scooby Regular

Try Margarita. I went there the year before Egypt and loved it. Epypt was crap. Nice weather, crap country.
Old 26 November 2008, 11:29 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maldives if you want "luxury" with insulation from the culture - each resort is on its own island.

Dubai was quite civilised, but a bit "synthetic" feeling. No hassles, no smarminess.

Last edited by john banks; 26 November 2008 at 11:35 AM.
Old 26 November 2008, 12:47 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vallumlj
Luxor might be ok as it might not be as busy as Sharm.
Exactly, you need to get off the beaten track and go explore. If your not adverse to a little risk, some of these places have a lot to offer. Certainly beats sitting on a beach with 5000 other lobsters, waiting for the ice cream man to come around.

Ballooning over the Valley of the Kings at 5:30 in the morning, is an experience you won't forget. And no I don't work for the Egyptian tourist board

Allan