Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Some bloke just knocked on my door,

Search this Thread

Old 03 November 2008, 02:18 PM
shaunywrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Some bloke just knocked on my door,

and offered me a sticker with a poppy on it.
Old 03 November 2008, 02:36 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...d-we-live.html

They obviously thought you couldnt be trusted with a poppy and a pin
Old 03 November 2008, 06:29 PM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

didnt have a baseball cap on did he???
Old 03 November 2008, 06:50 PM
RyanSTI
Scooby Regular

was he part of the salvation army or somthing? why wouldnt you want a poppy?
Old 03 November 2008, 07:05 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanSTI
was he part of the salvation army or somthing? why wouldnt you want a poppy?
The point he's making I think is that they are stupid little sticky things. Adults in the UK aren't capable of handling pins now, labour have decided.
Old 04 November 2008, 12:05 AM
swampster
Scooby Regular

Personally I wish they'd find a better method of attaching a poppy than a single bloody pin... perhaps a quid more for a safety pin badge type jobby that actually stays where I put it and doesn't involve having a pin sticking into my left nipple if I so much as lean forward....

Poppies are great if you have a jacket/lapel etc... but they're pants if wearing a t-shirt/ sweatshirt
Old 04 November 2008, 02:51 AM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

Originally Posted by shaunywrx
and offered me a sticker with a poppy on it.
I reckon the RBL have made them start doing this pin risk assesment thingy to save being sued... by the collectors, who just might ***** themselevs doling the things out...

they then make it look like they are assessing YOU, when in reality THEY are the numpties who the RBL pin cushions!!
Old 04 November 2008, 11:13 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I am surprised that the poppy sellers were allowed out in the first place! That sort of thing is indicative of loyalty to this country and also glorifies war as the pinko pc pratts are wont to say!

Les
Old 04 November 2008, 06:12 PM
moff1888
Scooby Regular

They are not allowed to go around asking for money or shake the pots with the money in it anymore. As for the pins I was requested to place the poppies on a few of the older generation who also asked if we had any of the velcro ones.
The pin is a pain in the ****.
Old 04 November 2008, 06:24 PM
buffalo
Scooby Regular

the ones we got in work come with a plastic green stem. very realistic but unless you have the powers of the FORCE i am at a loss as to how we were ment to attach them to ourselfs.

i used to hate it at school when other folk would pass the pin through their skin without any blood. dnt have a clue why they did it. you know the type. always had a couple of classes less than the other kids lol

when i was collecting whilst in the cadets we aslo had rolls of poppy stickers but these were more to plaster all over our tins and boxes or to give free to little children.

dnt mind giving to charity if i am not asked, and i also buy a poppy or two but would be had pushed to volunteer any decent sum of money for a sticker
Old 05 November 2008, 10:48 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by buffalo
the ones we got in work come with a plastic green stem. very realistic but unless you have the powers of the FORCE i am at a loss as to how we were ment to attach them to ourselfs.

i used to hate it at school when other folk would pass the pin through their skin without any blood. dnt have a clue why they did it. you know the type. always had a couple of classes less than the other kids lol

when i was collecting whilst in the cadets we aslo had rolls of poppy stickers but these were more to plaster all over our tins and boxes or to give free to little children.

dnt mind giving to charity if i am not asked, and i also buy a poppy or two but would be had pushed to volunteer any decent sum of money for a sticker
Surely the important thing is not what you get back for your donation so much as how much good will your donation do.

Les
Old 05 November 2008, 03:11 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Surely the important thing is not what you get back for your donation so much as how much good will your donation do.

Les
But how much good will it do ? I donate and get a poppy each year but mainly as a way of showing respect and a tribute to those who faught in the great wars and died for our freedom. There will never be another war for our troops with the same brutality and bloodshed and as the number or survivors gets lower each year , as time goes on the need for donations surely decreases ?
I cannot feel the same awe and respect for soldiers with great amounts of kit and machinery, fighting a far inferior force , in a far away place that is no threat to the uk and fighting what is ultimately a war with 2 aims. 1 make American companies money 2 To impose our political and social dogma on other nations.
Old 06 November 2008, 12:50 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang
But how much good will it do ? I donate and get a poppy each year but mainly as a way of showing respect and a tribute to those who faught in the great wars and died for our freedom. There will never be another war for our troops with the same brutality and bloodshed and as the number or survivors gets lower each year , as time goes on the need for donations surely decreases ?
I cannot feel the same awe and respect for soldiers with great amounts of kit and machinery, fighting a far inferior force , in a far away place that is no threat to the uk and fighting what is ultimately a war with 2 aims. 1 make American companies money 2 To impose our political and social dogma on other nations.
Do you understand what the Royal British Legion does with the money that is collected? Yes of course it is based on respect for those in world wars 1 and 2, but it is used for all kinds of charitable acts for those in real need.

Did you not notice the casualties in Iraq of those with unsuitable kit, not enough body armour or NBC protective clothing, or no fire suppression in the wing tanks on the Hercules despite the recommendations. How about those lads in Afghanistan having to drive around in "******" Landrovers which are no protection against the buried bombs? Have you not realised the dreadful lack of proper treatment given to those wounded and maimed servicemen returning to this country from those wars? They are out there because they have been sent there by the politicians for their own reasons!

This is the sort of thing that your poppy donations go to, helping servicemen in trouble back here for one reason and another. Do you think they don't deserve that?

Les
Old 06 November 2008, 03:34 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=Leslie;8248968]

, helping servicemen in trouble back here for one reason and another. Do you think they don't deserve that?

Lets be honest the casualty rate for Iraq and afganistan is so low it is completely insignificant when compared with ww1 and ww2.
Old 07 November 2008, 04:40 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

[quote=Luan Pra bang;8249360]
Originally Posted by Leslie

, helping servicemen in trouble back here for one reason and another. Do you think they don't deserve that?

Lets be honest the casualty rate for Iraq and afganistan is so low it is completely insignificant when compared with ww1 and ww2.
Do you have figures not only for those who have died but also the ones who have been maimed for life and when they returned here were treated like the "proverbial" even though they suffered for the sake of this country. They joined in the first place out of loyalty to GB. Even if you are prepared to quote them as being insignificant, you can be sure that they don't and many others besides!

I have to say it is very difficult to understand your attitude in this respect.

Les
Old 07 November 2008, 05:01 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

The figures show 177 dead and between 600-1200 wounded per year. So less than are killed on the roads.