Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Egypt - Travelling Advice

Search this Thread

Old 01 November 2008, 10:27 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Egypt - Travelling Advice

The wife and I are off to Egypt in a week, for a week long all inclusive stay We've never been to Egypt and don't know anyone close to us that has. We've had some jabs from the doctors but would appreciate some general advice about getting by in the country and what to do/not to do.

For example, if we leave the resort area are there any local customs with regards to 'covering up', etc? Can I walk around with my Scottish ******* out? We've got some Egyptian Pounds but we've heard they like to take other currencies too - is this the case? Our stay is all inclusive (food, beer, the lot) so how much money should we take for a week??

We are also interested in trying scuba diving so any advice on that would be appreciated.

Also, what's the best advice with regards to tipping and keeping people sweet, etc. Any advice you can give about how best to get by would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance

Kenny
Old 01 November 2008, 10:35 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Filter your lettice
Old 01 November 2008, 10:37 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Your hotel will be able to sort you out with your diving the water will be cold so make sure you have a suit I wore my shortie even when swimming in the sea As for tiping its more if you want to as it isn't expected ??? Covering up only counts if your heading into proper egypt and not just the tourist areas, we got fully dressed for the pyramids but others weren't. I went last year and I was told it was better to take dollars, it wasn't and it was easier to pay for things in egyptian but if you are planning on visiting the pyramids it works out much cheaper to pay a local tour company in pounds and they only take cash. We paid £320 for the 3 of us last year which was £200 cheaper than the hotel and exactly the same. I'm back there for xmas and I'm thinking of going to "the valley of the kings " this time

Last edited by stevebt; 01 November 2008 at 10:40 PM.
Old 01 November 2008, 10:56 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Microbiologically and security wise, I found Egypt a bit challenging outwith the often excellent hotels, but historically very interesting.

Assume everything you eat (unless piping hot) or drink (unless you know the origin of the water, check for intact seals on bottled water in case it is just tap water in old bottles) will infect you unless you have good reason to believe otherwise even if it is in a good hotel (buffets/salads/fruit can still be dodgy, however, you have to eat some fibre if you want to stay regular). If you go on a Nile cruise, the plates may have been washed in river water and be loaded with coliforms.

Expect hassle from insistent salespeople in public/tourist places.

Even in bathrooms there will be someone wanting to hand you things to wash and dry your hands with who will want tipping.

Didn't do the sun/all inclusive hotel thing, but usually this is sheltered. Armed guards for tourists were the norm when I was there after bombings.

My wife enjoyed it, I found the historical sites interesting, but not at all relaxing outwith hotels.

Take some diarrhoea remedies. If you can get it, ciprofloxacin is a good all round antibiotic if you have to take just one type with you.
Old 01 November 2008, 11:10 PM
rallycol
Scooby Regular

No British medicine helped me out ,with a bad case of the runs ,but the local stuff cured it in 1 hour after 3 days hell.
Old 01 November 2008, 11:24 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

I was there last xmas and I never got ill once.
Old 02 November 2008, 12:06 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

We went back in 2000, i got the trots twice once on the cruise, lasted a day, and again at the hotel, although i know why, as John said check the water for clarity even bottled, before you drink!!! the hotel sorted it asap though

Weather wise HOT HOT HOT

We managed the lot in 2 weeks , nile cruise, Abu Simbel, Cairo, and the Pyramids.

Tipping (Backsheesh) is expected by all, so be warned, give small amounts, say 1-2 Egyptian, at a time,

Some will push you for 10-20+ i got caught once that way

everything carry's a backsheesh price, from holding your camera at one of the sites, to taking your!! photo lol

Oh and haggle hard. believe you me these guys will fleece you rotten given half a chance

Listen to what thy want you to pay, and knock off two thirds or more, thats what you offer.

Dont budge or give in, walk away if you have to, they'll often come running down the street a few minutes later to agree the deal

Dont enter shops if invited, or accept drinks from shop keepers, to them your accepting a sale, and can end up getting a load of hassle.

be prepared to have people begging, (especially children) but be aware these guys do it professionally!!

covering up is only recommended if you enter a temple / tomb or mosque.

generally there a pretty tolerant bunch of people and will happily chat all day long (for a price lol)

most of all take imoduim, headache tabs, loads of camera film or cards, and suncream, a hat, and enjoy yourself

mart
Old 02 November 2008, 12:58 AM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

^

So it's really hot, you get ill, and you get hassled?

Why would anyone go.......it must be cheap......right?
Old 02 November 2008, 07:23 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davyboy
^

So it's really hot, you get ill, and you get hassled?

Why would anyone go.......it must be cheap......right?
Factoring in the above, yes its cheap, the scenery is absolutely stunning. The

temperatures are regularly in the 40C bracket coupled with near on 0%

humidity.

Its a strange place, once youve been, you want to go again!!

Mart
Old 02 November 2008, 12:23 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the advice so far guys, appreciated.

I never realized it was such a lottery with regards to food and drink. We are staying in the Baron Palms resort which is rated at 5-stars so I'm hoping that the food and drink will be of a reasonable standard. I'll be extra vigilant though and check all bottled water, etc as recommended.

We don't really plan to leave the resort at all to be honest as we are only there for 7 nights and plan maximum sun and relaxation. Am I right in saying that we don't need a visa if we don't plan to leave the resort? Would be need one to go on one of the scuba diving excursions?
Old 02 November 2008, 02:27 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Yes, it's in Sharm
Old 02 November 2008, 02:28 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Long way realistically to the pyramids , esp on a 7 dayer ..!
Old 02 November 2008, 02:35 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nat21
Where is the resort, Sharm? If it isn't near the centre of Sharm you're stuffed really.

Definitely do day trips to the pyramids and Petra
Pyramids are definatly worth a visit, Petra on the other hand is in Jordan isreal not egypt, so not sure on visa requirements.

You need a visa for egypt. we got ours beforehans, but people were buying them when they arrived at luxor airport

we did:

Abu Simbel
Pyramids
Cairo museum
nile cruse
valley of the kings
Valley of the queens
hapshetsuits temple
Dendra
Philea
Karnak temple (although our hotel was just behind it )

Mart
Old 02 November 2008, 03:34 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

We aren't really planning to do any of the day trips tbh. Just a relaxing week in the sun, pool, sea and hopefully some snorkling and scuba diving. It's my understanding that we don't need a visa to do that?
Old 02 November 2008, 04:13 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I spent two weeks there earlier this year. It was completely hassle and sickness free!

The Red Sea was gorgeous, even for just snorkelling.

Enjoy!
Old 02 November 2008, 04:30 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

You only need a visa if you are plannin gon diving in Ras Mohammed
Old 02 November 2008, 05:03 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I spent two weeks there earlier this year
Egypt, sharm or the Baron.....or all 3?

Who, what or where is Ras Mohammed?!
Old 02 November 2008, 05:39 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Its a natoinal park for egypt
Old 02 November 2008, 07:08 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
We aren't really planning to do any of the day trips tbh. Just a relaxing week in the sun, pool, sea and hopefully some snorkling and scuba diving. It's my understanding that we don't need a visa to do that?
AFAIk you need a visa to enter egypt and leave egypt

although this would say otherwise

Egypt Entry Requirements, Visas and Passports

Mart
Old 02 November 2008, 07:32 PM
j-k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
You only need a visa if you are plannin gon diving in Ras Mohammed

As steve says above.... for what it costs, i would get one anyway. About £15 each at the airport.

Been to Sharm for the last 2 years running...had a fantastic time, didnt get ill, or the two bob bits.!!

As already been said, careful with the tipping. Tell the bloke at the airport trying to wrestle your cases off you to put on the coach to go DO ONE!! They normally want a pound a case and they are not employed by the coach company either!

Take plenty of pound coins for tips, if you are that way inclined.

Definately worth doing the Ras Mohammed boat trip/scuba/snorkel and if you get chance the quad biking in the Sanai (sp) desert.

Happy hols

jon
Old 02 November 2008, 10:06 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

Ive got the misfortune to deal with egyptians at work on a daily basis,

i consider the few i deal with to be untrustworthy obnoxious crafty, deceitful and thorough dog**** people,

im not narrow minded enogh to think they are all like that obviously, but i would never entertain going there on holdiay, as i cant stand them .

and my wifes' mate is currently trying to get her house and business and flat in cairo, back from one of the salt of the earth arabs that you meet in sharm.
and he is living in it with his new egyptian wife. after previously declaring undying love for her. i relaise its her own fault being gullible, but its cost her around 80k, so far,
Old 02 November 2008, 10:55 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by j4ckos mate

. i relaise its her own fault being gullible, but its cost her around 80k, so far,

That can happen anywhere, and like you say its her own fault?? Plus it has no bearing on how the OP will enjoy sharm

If your not gonna go from the hotel its like I say tipping you don't need to know, drinking err yes please and food ?? You will hate it after the 1st week
Old 02 November 2008, 11:16 PM
jbl
Scooby Regular

Had a week 'all inc' a couple of yrs back, really enjoyed the place.
In January the sun really burns without feeling it is as there is a cool breeza all day. Really cold outdoors at night, and I mean cold !
I had a good holiday though.
If you haven't looked at them already then
Reviews of holidays, hotels, resorts, holiday and travel packages - TripAdvisor and
Index page • holidaytruths.co.uk are well worth a visit !

Enjoy the holiday.

JBL
Old 03 November 2008, 09:19 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

I've been twice, and seriously, you can't go to Egypt without seeing the pyramids!! It's a day trip, either by coach (which is what we did, which honestly wasn't *that* bad) or by flights (which takes almost the same time, except you end up waiting at the airport instead of in the coach and is like twice the price).

As for diving, I'd go with a reputable company, not the local hotel one. We dove for a week with emperor divers in Sharm who were very helpful and professional. They organise snorkling trips for non-divers as well and I think they do "try diving" type things as well.

There was a dive outfit on the beach in Sharm as well that did try-dives, but don't go with them, as they just took you straight out from the shore into the beach, and as I was snorkling above I could see what they were seeing and I'd have hated to have to pay for those dives

If you want to try diving "seriously", it might be worth doing the theory and pool training in the UK (two days (e.g a weekend)) and then doing the open water referral course in Sharm - another two days, but it's two days of "real" diving at least. Then you'd be qualified as a PADI Open Water diver (18m max depth).
Old 03 November 2008, 04:50 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Dont.

Otherwise be fluent in the local language, grow a beard and dye your wifes hair black, then you might make it back.
Old 03 November 2008, 05:07 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

To be honest I have never had any problems in sharm never got sick not too much hassle and found Egyptians to be very friendly. Also lots of hot russian girls about. Don't go shopping though and haggle hard pay 1\10 of what they ask for if you do.
I hired a car for a few days and took myself places instead of poxy coach trips and found it a more relaxed way to travel but remember that distances are large and petrol stations hard to find in the middle of the dessert.

Quick Reply: Egypt - Travelling Advice