Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Do not use Europcar!!

Search this Thread

Old 28 October 2008, 10:16 AM
ryn004
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do not use Europcar!!

As the title says do not use Europcar. After our holiday in Italy, we had dropped of the car in the nearby parking lot as instructed with a nearly full tank (maybe just 50km less than full) and about 30mins late. Now after our holiday I'm looking through my visa statment and found a charge of €283. Apparntly they charged us to refull the car, an extra day and insurance for that day.

It was no use arguing with the Europcar Agent in Italy. Does anyone know where I can persue my complaint? Maybe a telephone number of the headquarters?

Any help appreciated.
Old 28 October 2008, 03:13 PM
matt.bowey
Scooby Regular

Report it to your credit card provider as an unauthorised transaction?
Old 28 October 2008, 03:24 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by matt.bowey
Report it to your credit card provider as an unauthorised transaction?
I suspect you'll find the T&Cs signed explicitly says you will be charged an extra day if you return it late and likewise a full tank of petrol if it isn't full. It could have been handled with some discretion, I agree, but I doubt you'll get a refund through the CC company.
Old 28 October 2008, 03:35 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

They are a bunch of cowboys, every experience I have had with them has been bad.
Old 28 October 2008, 03:41 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Similar thing happened to me a few years ago in Belgium. I contacted Europcar UK Head Office and they were very helpful. They looked into my complaint and after about 3 weeks refunded my transaction and gave me another £50 refund of the original rental for my troubles.
Old 28 October 2008, 04:48 PM
Steve_PPP
Scooby Regular

i've used them with no problems whatsoever. it says clearly what time the car has to be back by, and that you should fill it with fuel. 50km of driving after filling it up means that you've not fulfilled your side of the deal!

Europcar even offer you the chance to bring it back empty - you can buy the tank of fuel at the start to save you filling it up. They even give you a 10% discount on the local fuel price as well.

You took the mick, they exercised their right to charge you. Deal with it
Old 28 October 2008, 05:07 PM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

Never use them, only ever use Enterprise who have only ever been awesome!
Old 28 October 2008, 05:14 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Used Europcar several times with never a problem. You were late and the tank wasn't full, but I'd imagine there might be some leeway if you're good at blagging on the phone
Old 28 October 2008, 05:26 PM
RJMS
Scooby Regular

Another one to avoid is AutoAlgarve in Portugal, I booked and paid through a UK broker but they still took 1000 euros from my credit card whilst I was in Portugal and once I got that back through the credit card company they hit me for another 300 euros earlier this month.

I've now changed my credit card so they won't be doing that again
Old 28 October 2008, 05:39 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

I've had issues with other hire car companies that have done far worse than simply charge for extra hire/fuel when late/not full.

An example being Hertz recently charged me - twice - for a weeks worth of hire car that I never even got (long story).

Just accept that all hire companies will sting you if they get the chance and simply don't give them that chance.
Old 28 October 2008, 07:17 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

on the other side of things in alcudia spain we all hired a few cars, i had a 307 cab for a couple days then a fiesta for 3 days, they didnt want a deposit or a credit card, just had to pay the £80 euros for the 3 day hire upfront !! they did want to see a licence but blimey no deposit or card etc is nuts.

great service decent enough cars and a bargain to be had
Old 29 October 2008, 08:18 AM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Used them several times, no issue. But I always return the car full and on time
Old 29 October 2008, 10:17 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

The one thing you never ever do is return a hire car with anything less than 1/1 on the dial!!! They will bend you over and stick the fuel nozzle where the sun dont shine!

I always take a photo on my camera of the mileage, fuel, wheels and such like... bits they will always try and stuff you for.
Old 29 October 2008, 10:22 AM
ryn004
Scooby Regular

I happened to take a photo of the car in the parking lot from my phone, and the time was 10mins before I had to take it in .... at least I got soem evidence on this. Will try to call an office in the UK, because the Italians are no help at all!!
Old 29 October 2008, 10:27 AM
wagrain
Scooby Regular

Firstly you went to Italy so what did you expect? The Italians make up all sorts of lies in order for them to come out top - Just look at F1 to see that!

You took a hire car back late = Your Fault
You didn't leave it with a full tank = Your Fault
You trusted your credit card details to an Italian = Your Fault

I rest my case m'lord

I've used them 5 or 6 times in the past and never had problems, but then I return on time, with a full tank and get them to check the car over before I leave.
Old 29 October 2008, 10:34 AM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just as well they are not an authorised advertiser on here, or this thread would be an infractorama by now
Old 18 November 2008, 09:42 AM
ryn004
Scooby Regular

Manage to get a refund when dealing with a representative from the UK. As wagrain mentioned, never trust the Italians with a credit card!
Old 18 November 2008, 09:58 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

i do sympathise

its sooooo tempting re the full tank of fuel, when filling for the last time its seems like you are throwing money down the drain

but its a risk -- and personally I dont risk it -- coz if they catch you out

its "trousers down and six of the best"
Old 03 October 2010, 04:02 PM
conbyeuropcar
Scooby Newbie

Default Do not use Europcar 2

I have used Europcar in the past. Their paperwork states various things about returning the car.However they do not state how it will be paid. When I hired a car the representative said return empty. (No mention that when you return it empty- you will pay via THEIR costs. Ie at full rate). There should be a script given on collect of the car stating -Would you prefer to return empty as ultimately you are liable for the costs, or return full whereby you determine the cost of the fuel. At least I could have made better efforts to keep the cost down.

In the past, hire companies would make everything visible not try to con you into returning empty and thereby being charged at the higher rate. I would recommend you steer clear of this company and the consolidators who support them like Argushire.com and Cartrawler who protect them from lack of scripts their adjoining companies omit.

Would love to hear if others have been conned in this way.
Old 03 October 2010, 04:28 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Old 03 October 2010, 04:32 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by conbyeuropcar
I have used Europcar in the past. Their paperwork states various things about returning the car.However they do not state how it will be paid. When I hired a car the representative said return empty. (No mention that when you return it empty- you will pay via THEIR costs. Ie at full rate). There should be a script given on collect of the car stating -Would you prefer to return empty as ultimately you are liable for the costs, or return full whereby you determine the cost of the fuel. At least I could have made better efforts to keep the cost down.

In the past, hire companies would make everything visible not try to con you into returning empty and thereby being charged at the higher rate. I would recommend you steer clear of this company and the consolidators who support them like Argushire.com and Cartrawler who protect them from lack of scripts their adjoining companies omit.

Would love to hear if others have been conned in this way.
How about posting under your real user name?
Old 03 October 2010, 05:53 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

My dad one had a car from europe car that was delivered to his house. The car did not move fir the three days hire and they still billed for etrol adter they collected it.
Old 03 October 2010, 05:58 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

I find it hard to believe that there is ANYONE left in the world who is deluded/ignorant enough to return a hire car with less than full tank/required amount on hire form and not expect to have their trousers taken off. I have never seen a hire agreement that does not clearly state that they will refill it at their rate - which is usually MUCH higher than forecourt rate.

A hirer I use regularly in Mallorca gives you the car exactly half full. Any less on return and you pay. Can't say clearer than that.
Old 03 October 2010, 06:01 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

I pay upfront at Malaga (Sixt), a few quid more but you can return it empty.....
Old 03 October 2010, 06:39 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

I often use Goldcar at Malaga and their policy is also to charge for a full tank and return empty.

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
I pay upfront at Malaga (Sixt), a few quid more but you can return it empty.....
Old 03 October 2010, 07:29 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Always use the bring back empty option it just makes sense.

Also why not when booking your car chose a later time than you expect to be to return it as often it does not cost anymore at that point.
Old 03 October 2010, 07:44 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nik52wrx
I often use Goldcar at Malaga and their policy is also to charge for a full tank and return empty.
We used Goldcar this year, same policy - pay for a full tank when you take it and return empty. Also they were the cheapest by far and the car was brand new.
Old 04 October 2010, 09:13 AM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

Europcar are the worst for sending you off in a scraped/dented car without all of the damage noted on the paperwork and then screwing you as guilty when you get back. I always have to go back to the counter to get them to add on the marks they missed prior to setting off. I have experienced this all over Europe and so have many of my collegues. It's such an inconvenience and waste of time and their cars always seem to be the ones in the poorest condition in the hire car lot.

I avoid them like the plague. There are plenty of other hire car companies out there. Ironically though my impending package holiday includes their services, so I am getting geared up for another confrontation.

Also they have a tie-in with Easyjet, so that's another reason to look elsewhere! How many times do you get to an Easyjet destination only to find a huge queue at the Europcar desk? Likewise Ryanair and Hertz.
Old 04 October 2010, 09:08 PM
Disco Boy 2
Scooby Regular

We have used them several times. Never a problem; although we do return the car on time and full of fuel.