Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Collecting my new (old) car next weekend!

Search this Thread

Old 26 October 2008, 09:37 PM
Ved
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Collecting my new (old) car next weekend!

Times are tough, even for us high flying Scooby hooligans so over the last two months I've hatched a plan to save me a few grand a year; get a new car to run along with the Impreza.

The main thing for me is that I do about 20k a year and doing that in the STI, while extremely pleasurable, isn't great on the wallet. Even when I get 40p back from the 10k I do with work every 12 months. I thought about getting a little old diesel but realising thi would mean driving a french oil burning hatchback I thought, sod that. So instead I decided to hand my old unused VW Golf GTI 16v over to the kind people at Midland VW.

This is where things get spooky. I originally quoted the work from Midland but their mechanic broke his ankle and wouldn't be able to take on new work for some time so I booked it in with JBS in Chesterfield instead. They were more expensive but wanted to get her back on the road asap. A week or two later I get a call from Midland VW who now have space to fit me in. Now, with mine being a non runner I needed it transporting over there and after calling the guy who transports their cars for them and after speaking to him it turns out he does work for another guy not two doors away from me in Nottinghamshire, 90 miles away and knows exactly where I live! Also, the transporter's son's best friend is non other than the owner of Midland VW and has done work for their racing cars before. I also got a glowing recommendation on their work from his mum Oh, and they were also 20% cheaper than JBS. They have completed a lot of work mainly on the top of the engine and the brakes but more will follow when i start looking at new BBS wheels!

So onto this weekend when I popped over to see how she was and all but a new roof lining is needed. I started her up and she sounds like a spitfire, handles so sweetly and looks so great it's untrue i even spent £110 on cleaning stuff like claybar.

I don't have any pics as yet and won't take any until I get it cleaned up properly but essentially mine is a 5 door version of the one below from 1991 with half leather interior and a few choice mods and that perfect item for winter, a sun roof :-D

The upshot of all this is that by running this car and not the Scooby for work, i'll save over 3k a year, after insurance and tax. Result!

David
Old 26 October 2008, 09:47 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whoa, thats a minter, I have had six GTI's, four of them Mk2's, and to be honest, I want another, my Saab has more than twice the power but is half the fun, if I could find a good one and sell my Saab I would go back to a MK2 GTI, I only do a couple of hundred miles a month.
Old 27 October 2008, 08:33 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

One of the few cars I would consider selling my 205 for.
Old 27 October 2008, 04:41 PM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

Did anyone see Tiff in that mk2 the other week on 5th gear - he was well impressed with it! Had a couple of mk1's but never a mk2! Wouldn't mind wringing the neck of one though!
Old 27 October 2008, 04:51 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

An ex GF of mine had a white H reg 16V. At the time I had a GTIR. Although the R was much faster we both enjoyed the Golf more
Old 27 October 2008, 04:52 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

always fancied a mk2 golf gti. maybe one day
Old 27 October 2008, 04:59 PM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

The craze around my way at the minute is small alloys on Golfs! They look stunning! They look like 14" but with the width of a lawn mower roller

Trending Topics

Old 27 October 2008, 07:13 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

seems a bit of a shame to use a car as clean looking as that for commuting..
Old 27 October 2008, 08:53 PM
C17RPA
Scooby Regular

oi mate that car looks "MINT"