Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Poppy Time?

Search this Thread

Old 25 October 2008, 12:48 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poppy Time?

As Rememberance Sunday is getting closer, I heard a telephone debate on Radio 5 this week asking who would or would not be buying poppies from the RBL this year and what their reasons were.

When I was younger, I always bought a poppy every year (and was well chuffed if mine had a green leaf on it ). It was what you did, to show support for the men who in their millions offered their lives on a plate to save our country from evil.

Now, a little older and lot wiser, I am struggling to justify a donation to the RBL.

I am still eternally thankful and humbled by the sacrifice of those who fought in both world wars and it is with sadness that nature is taking many of those veterans from us now.
For the veterans and the fallen, "lest we forget" and it is them that Rememberance Sunday is for but alas as their numbers dwindle, a charity perhaps is not?

I am lost on the arguement that the latest generation of soldiers make the ultimate sacrifice and offer their lives "for us" as it simply isnt the case. My life and my childrens lives are not being saved by blowing the **** out of third world middle eastern countries and their fractious splinter groups of Iranian armed Afghan farmers. These are free adults who have chosen a career in war, neither current war do I support. So do they deserve a slice of my hard earned money?

Is their cause therefore more deserving than the NSPCC, Children In Need or Unicef? Afterall, children dont have a say in their destiny so with all these good causes, where does the poppy campaign stand in the needy league table? I cannot afford to donate to every good cause afterall...

Then I factor in that it is a shame that the Royal British Legion has to exist at all, as it is the governments responsibility to fulfill all of the post war care the force veterans need - does that mean I should or shouldnt wish to donate?

As you can see, my once blinded loyalty to patriotism is now in question. It's a lot to consider for the sake of a few quid, but is the poppy slowly losing it's original focus of being a charitable donation to show respect to the veterans of wars we so badly needed them to win and is it now slowly becoming a political symbol?

Your thoughts please.
Old 25 October 2008, 01:06 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its not about what war they are fighting, its about the fact they are doing it for the rest of us, regardless of the motives, these people do need our support.
RBL supports ex soldiers who may not have fought in the iraq/afgan conflict, and the chances are most would not have seen a conflict in their careers.
Your giving to people who work for very little, get very little back (unless they do 22 years service) for the sake of the rest of us who cant be bothered protecting our country.
Just look at the Falkland veterans, over 1000 committed suicide since that conflict, more than were killed in the conflict itself, RBL helps these people, and is still helping these people, including ww2 veterans, korea veterans, cold war veterans etc.
Put your hand in your pocket and give to these men and women who do a job most of us wouldnt, because most dont have the guts to do it.

Tony (ex HM Forces and still donates to RBL every year )
Old 25 October 2008, 01:31 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Thats one of my points Tony and where the arguement falls down on me - they are not currently "doing it for the rest of us".
With regards to the rest of your post, good points which help me a plenty
Old 25 October 2008, 01:38 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Those of the current generation that will benefit most from the donations to the RBL have no say at all in whether or not they go out to fight - that's all down to the likes of Billy and Flash.

As Tony said above, the troops are doing it for us and accordingly they deserve our support. We (as a country, regardless of how we voted as individuals) elected those who are sending the troops out there in our name. If you want to withdraw support from anyone as a protest against where the troops are being sent, show you have withdrawn it from Flash & co at the next election for sending them there.

Should the RBL need to exist at all? As a support network for ex-service personnel, no it probably should not. Unfortunately, until successive Governments get their fingers out and put in place the support that is required by some troops returning from service to civilian life, it is very much necessary.

I strongly support the work done by the RBL; it is one of (very) few charities I will give money to.
Old 25 October 2008, 01:46 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Of course they are doing it for the rest of us. Can you imagine what life would be like if these extremist nutters were given free reign?

Forget of Iran Iraq Afghanistan for a second what about those risking their lives in other parts of the world? Fighting the drug cartels in South America, keeping the peace in Africa, the Balkans and humanitarian efforts else where. Just because its not in the news doesn't mean it's not happening.

Fair enough you don't support the war against the axis of evil but spare a couple of quid for those that have given their lives for campaigns you do agree with. If not than spare a couple of quid to honour the men and women of WW1 and WW2 that you DO owe a debt of gratitude to.

The RBL is not just about soldiers in conflict. It's about all our serving men women and their families. It's not solely for those in incedents making the healines. Get your hand in your pocket, it's only a couple of quid

Daz ( RM 42 Commando)

Last edited by dazdavies; 25 October 2008 at 01:53 PM.
Old 25 October 2008, 01:54 PM
LanCat
Scooby Regular

The people that actually benefit from your support through the RBL are not in a position to choose which battles they fight. They only fight the ones that your government tell them to. If you don't like it then stand up at the next election and say so. Don't take it out on the wrong people.

Wear a poppy with pride.
Old 25 October 2008, 03:37 PM
moff1888
Scooby Regular

As always irrespective of the fact I "have" to wear one in my headdress I am more than happy to purchase a poppy.

As it happens I have had the same poppy since i joined up 9 years ago but of course I still buy a good few each year its just that this one is well pressed lol.

Moff (waiting to deploy to Afghan)
Old 25 October 2008, 04:02 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Abdabz
Then I factor in that it is a shame that the Royal British Legion has to exist at all, as it is the governments responsibility to fulfill all of the post war care the force veterans need - does that mean I should or shouldnt wish to donate?
Personally, I'll comtinue to support them for reasons already stated by others. I can't see the above being any reason not to donate though.
Just because our government don't necessarily take the best care of our soldiers doesn't mean that the rest of us should withdraw what dwindling support there is in place as some kind of point of principal.
Old 25 October 2008, 05:11 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I have to say that at Poppy time I do think of those WW1 and WW2 men who sacfrificed themselves in the genuine belief that they were giving up their lives, miles away from their families, to help their fellow countrymen. Many of them still kids really like my own 19 year old. And then I wonder what they would think of how we have let them down and what a disgrace so much of the country is today.

And I wouldn't want my son to join the forces and I am not really a war supporter but I admire those young men that are prepared to go out, including those on SN.

So I am happy to buy a Poppy even if only to say "Thanks chaps, you're braver than I would have been".

dl
Old 25 October 2008, 06:59 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by LanCat
The people that actually benefit from your support through the RBL are not in a position to choose which battles they fight. They only fight the ones that your government tell them to. If you don't like it then stand up at the next election and say so. Don't take it out on the wrong people.

Wear a poppy with pride.
YUP!
Old 25 October 2008, 08:02 PM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

I am a soldier and appreciate all the comments and hope everyone puts a few quid in for the ex military who benefit so much from the money raised, we salute the lot of you.

Mac
Old 25 October 2008, 08:17 PM
shooter007
Scooby Regular

mom and dad where both in royal british legion my mother used to make hundreds up each year and i never heard them say these are only for 1/2 world war veterans good luck to all our boys and girls in all conflicts we are involved with some of us are very proud of you
Old 25 October 2008, 08:47 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

Plenty of old soldiers still need help as well as the ones from recent conflicts.
Totally agree with what is mentioned above if anything more so now as soldiers can buy themselves out but choose not to.

They don't choose the battles they get involved in but they fight tooth and nail in all our names , right or wrong we owe them.

Wear your poppy with pride and use it as a reminder to what happened all those years ago and why we must never end up in another world war.

They shall grow not old,
As we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them,
Nor the years condemn,
At the going down of the sun
And in the morning
We will remember them.
-- Laurence Binyon (1869-1943)
Old 25 October 2008, 09:32 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

the Poppy appeal is the only charity I donate to
Old 25 October 2008, 09:36 PM
Will
BANNED

Originally Posted by kingofturds
me 2. if it wasnt for them would most of us be here now?
Old 25 October 2008, 09:40 PM
Will
BANNED

Originally Posted by bugeyeandy

They don't choose the battles they get involved in but they fight tooth and nail in all our names , right or wrong we owe them.

Wear your poppy with pride and use it as a reminder to what happened all those years ago and why we must never end up in another world war.
spot on mate
Old 25 October 2008, 09:42 PM
Dan Gleebits
Scooby Regular

Location: in a place where there lots of rocks to chuck at feejits

without fail.

John
Ex 225 R.E.M.E
Old 25 October 2008, 09:46 PM
Dan Gleebits
Scooby Regular

Location: in a place where there lots of rocks to chuck at feejits

ABdabz, ask yourself this same question next time your settled, in the warm at home in front of your telly box watching yet another Herc land, and empty its cargo of flag draped coffins, carrying what is usually, mere kids... watch as Wiltshire bows their collective heads in sorrow, in remembrance.. ask yourself this question...
Old 25 October 2008, 10:23 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

I'll be wearing my Poppy with pride

I only donate to this and Cancer Research
Old 25 October 2008, 10:42 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by john_s
Those of the current generation that will benefit most from the donations to the RBL have no say at all in whether or not they go out to fight - that's all down to the likes of Billy and Flash.

As Tony said above, the troops are doing it for us and accordingly they deserve our support. We (as a country, regardless of how we voted as individuals) elected those who are sending the troops out there in our name. If you want to withdraw support from anyone as a protest against where the troops are being sent, show you have withdrawn it from Flash & co at the next election for sending them there.

Should the RBL need to exist at all? As a support network for ex-service personnel, no it probably should not. Unfortunately, until successive Governments get their fingers out and put in place the support that is required by some troops returning from service to civilian life, it is very much necessary.

I strongly support the work done by the RBL; it is one of (very) few charities I will give money to.
Great post I'll be wearing mine with pride
Old 26 October 2008, 01:41 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I have to say that I find it very surprising and also upsetting that the work done by and the need for the Legion should be questioned in such a manner.

It goes without saying what was sacrificed for us and our descendants by those brave servicemen in WW1 and WW2 who risked and/or lost their lives for the sake of the freedom of this country.

Those who are deployed at the moment are following their duty by fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan as they have been directed to do by the government. It is of no consequence whether you believe in the necessity of what they are doing, the fact is that they are still risking life and limb and in many cases suffering dreadful injuries. These are the ones who so desperately need the support of the Legion as well as ours of course.

You should remember that if this country was attacked in the future, these are the ones who will be in the front line defending you and your family. I think it is shameful that witholding support to the Legion should be even considered. The reasons you give are selfish in the extreme. The RBL is one of the really worthwhile charities in this country. Look at the sort of treatment our returning wounded are likely to get without the RBL!

Les

Last edited by Leslie; 26 October 2008 at 01:44 PM.
Old 26 October 2008, 02:29 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

A sound post, as always, Les

I buy a poppy each year, and always put money in the collection tubs when I see them. Imagine what this country and our lives would have been like, if not for those brave indivuals who sacrificed their lives, and all those who continue to do so.

I feel honoured to be able to wear a poppy. There is no way we can ever repay the debt of the loss of life, but we can stand as a nation with by supporting the RBL. The poppy is a small but instantly recognisable symbol of national respect and pride for the servicemen & women, who fought, and continue to fight to defend the freedom of not only our country, but those whose countries are in need of assistance.

Put your hand in your pocket, and show some respect.
Old 26 October 2008, 02:35 PM
290 AND READY
Scooby Regular

I believe in the red poppy, also gonna wear a white poppy this year
Old 26 October 2008, 02:50 PM
jbl
Scooby Regular

My son served for 9 yrs with the RAMC, in some 'not very nice places'. He joined because he wanted to help people. My father served in the 2nd WW in Burma and would never, ever talk about it ! The armed forces do what they are told by the Govt of the day, and have no choice, they know this when they join. I'll buy a poppy as usual and hope that the few pence will help someone that needs it. I will also add my little hope that one day they will not be needed, but not in my lifetime I fear.

JBL
Old 26 October 2008, 10:58 PM
mad555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingofturds

Same here.
Wear you Poppy with pride.
Old 27 October 2008, 02:49 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

I would broadly agree to the sentiments here. I've been a long term donor to the RBL for a couple of years (monthly DD, rather than just for Poppy Day). I have personal reasons for doing so - more than a dozen members of my family were killed in WWI and II (including my Mum's Father, when she was just 6 or 7). I'm sure that I am by no means unique in this and therefore have had no problem in continuing to support the RBL.

Politics aside, these guys are still out there putting their lives on the line and the support they receive from the government once they have left the service is frankly appalling. I wish there was no need for the RBL, but there clearly is and they will have my continued support.

Chris
Old 27 October 2008, 09:29 PM
Bonehead
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by little-ginge

I feel honoured to be able to wear a poppy. There is no way we can ever repay the debt of the loss of life, but we can stand as a nation with by supporting the RBL. The poppy is a small but instantly recognisable symbol of national respect and pride for the servicemen & women, who fought, and continue to fight to defend the freedom of not only our country, but those whose countries are in need of assistance.

Put your hand in your pocket, and show some respect.
Couldn't have put it better myself.

I'm very proud to be the son of a guy who spent 40 years in the army.

Every year I wear my poppy with pride. I work in another uniform service and today I was very proud to pick up a poppy whilst at work.
A good friend of mine just signed up and is going through his basic training in the RAF.

Sure these days its questionable that what they're doing in the middle east isn't ethically right, but that doesn't diminish my support for those who have to do the dirty work whilst theose that send them there are safe and well in London going on about how "we are fighting hard" or whatever hollow comment. The ignoring them when they come home with broken bodies and/or minds.

Damn right I support the Poppy Appeal.