Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

New Zealand trip in a Fortnight - any reccomendations of what to do - where to go etc

Search this Thread

Old 17 October 2008, 06:04 AM
L9WUL
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Zealand trip in a Fortnight - any reccomendations of what to do - where to go etc

As it says - off to NZ on the 4th Nov, hired a campervan for 3 weeks, gonna plan to mainly stay in the North Island but hopefully get across breifly to Christchurch for a few days.

Has anyone any advice? good or bad - I am especially interested in places not to bother with - i'd hate to waste any time.

Also - we're looking at doing a days water rafting - has anyone had experience of this in NZ? - again good or bad.

Any info will be much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old 17 October 2008, 08:15 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Definitely East Cape, from Opotiki around to Gisbourne. Can recommend Te Kaha Holiday Park, Motels & Cafe - quality New Zealand holiday accommodation , very oeaceful place to stay and the walk up to the East Cape Lighthouse is worth it for the views.

Otherwise Coromandel, Togarairo National Park, Taupo, Rotorua, Bay of Islands are all worth seeing.
Old 17 October 2008, 10:28 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

the South Island is far more interesting IMO! I'd spend most the 3 weeks there and then maybe a little bit of the North Island.
Old 17 October 2008, 10:36 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Waves Hotel, Orewa 20'ish k north of Auckland if you want a few quiet days on a great beach.
Old 17 October 2008, 10:47 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

If someone with big feet offers you a ring with funny glowing text on it run away!
Old 17 October 2008, 10:48 AM
Graz
Scooby Regular

I'm off in February for the whole month

Also plan to hire a camper van for the duration and we're planning to tour both the north and south islands, flying into and out of Christchurch so we plan to head up towards the north island over the first week sightseeing along the way, then head over to the north for around a week and a half, then back to the south island to finish off the tour for another week and a half. But as we'll hopefully have a camper we'll be fairly free to do whatever we fancy....

So will also be watching this thread to see what everyone recommends
Old 17 October 2008, 11:18 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

agreed with above - do 1 week north island - 2 weeks south. Need to take in wellington, queenstown and christchurch. I particularly liked the Abel Tasman Park
Old 17 October 2008, 11:43 AM
Dan Gleebits
Scooby Regular

Location: in a place where there lots of rocks to chuck at feejits

Did a month (almost) over in NZ at easter.. cant wait to go again .. deffo as Kiwi said up there^^^^^
place is awesome.. friendly .. chilled.. just a shame its so bleddy far away
Old 17 October 2008, 12:10 PM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

3 weeks, 1 month....not enough time. Either island (Three of them) are really awesome to visit. Where do I start? There are many many places other than Auckland to visit, Taupo, Rotorua etc. I woudn't go near these places anywhere near New Years, you won't get accomodation unless booked, Huka Falls/Lodge around Taupo (Toe-Pour). Basically, you will not be disappoined. In a camper van, I'd be polite and let people pass on the roads, and you'll find the overall road highway very poor, drivers very aggressive.

Wellington is an awesome place, apart from the "Beehive", many cultural things to see, great restaurants...the Original Thai in Island Bay I fully recommend.