Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Bio Diesel - simple question

Search this Thread

Old 14 October 2008, 12:37 PM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bio Diesel - simple question

with the treated stuff available at some pumps, can that be used on any diesel car? I know there are issues with untreated, and most newer cars can't use it, but not sure about the treated stuff.
I'm running the Mitsubishi on it, but not sure about the Mondeo.

cheers
Old 14 October 2008, 12:47 PM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

I believe there are some issues surrounding lubrication in fuel pumps, but apart from that it should be ok.

I use E10 petrol (10% ethanol, not to "save the planet through reducing Co2 emissions" but because it's much cheaper and the engine runs better than on R-ULP here).
Old 14 October 2008, 12:50 PM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Klaatu
I believe there are some issues surrounding lubrication in fuel pumps, but apart from that it should be ok.

I use E10 petrol (10% ethanol, not to "save the planet through reducing Co2 emissions" but because it's much cheaper and the engine runs better than on R-ULP here).
I'm doing it purely for the carbon footprint, not the 30% cost saving

The Mitsubishi's so agricultural I reckon it's run on pretty much anything. I think Mondeos have had issue with fuel pumps, as they're typically cheap rubbish.
Old 14 October 2008, 12:56 PM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pwhittle
I'm doing it purely for the carbon footprint, not the 30% cost saving

The Mitsubishi's so agricultural I reckon it's run on pretty much anything. I think Mondeos have had issue with fuel pumps, as they're typically cheap rubbish.
Why? Have you considered that;

1; Bio fuels actually are, currently, less efficient. Meaning you need to burn more to do the same work.
2; Much much more Co2 is produced in it's production, even before consumption.
3; Less arable land available for food production.

By the way, have you actually studied Co2?
Old 14 October 2008, 12:58 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

1; Bio fuels actually are, currently, less efficient. Meaning you need to burn more to do the same work.

I think you missed the

Steve
Old 14 October 2008, 01:00 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

All pump fuel must by law now have some bio mixed in. Either 2.5% or 5%, can't remember but it's usually 5%. This is set to rise and should be fine for any car at this level.

Banging in 30% of clean cooking oil at home is a different matter and will possibly bugger up the fuel pump on some engines. Pumps can be a silly price now. Some supermarkets can be iffy about selling trolley loads of cooking oil. dl
Old 14 October 2008, 01:52 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Originally Posted by David Lock

Banging in 30% of clean cooking oil at home is a different matter and will possibly bugger up the fuel pump on some engines. Pumps can be a silly price now. Some supermarkets can be iffy about selling trolley loads of cooking oil. dl
I wouldn't save any money using cooking oil now as all the supermarkets/shops round my way have recently bumped up the price of even the cheapest veg oil to almost the same as a litre of diesel! Perhaps they have realised people are using veg oil and bumped up the price to cash in?

Trending Topics

Old 14 October 2008, 01:55 PM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

Much much more Co2 is produced in it's production, even before consumption. - really? hasn't it already been used for cooking once? wouldn't it otherwise go to landfill? isn't it's CO2 content that which was absorbed when it grew, rather than that which has been locked up in fossils for millions of years? Or maybe be it magically creates it's own CO2. Who knows.

Less arable land available for food production.
ermmm, it was grown for food cooking - does that count?

I take it you don't own a petrol / diesel car.

Yes, I study CO2 everytime I exhale. What sort of a question is that?
Old 14 October 2008, 03:33 PM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tam the bam
I wouldn't save any money using cooking oil now as all the supermarkets/shops round my way have recently bumped up the price of even the cheapest veg oil to almost the same as a litre of diesel! Perhaps they have realised people are using veg oil and bumped up the price to cash in?
Or, possibly more important, producers of "veggie oil" are "cashing in" and making sure that their "bio" fields reap better "returns" than their fields of food!

Oh hang on, that's happening right now! Thanks Kyoto (Shell, BP, Enron etc etc).
Old 14 October 2008, 03:35 PM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Much much more Co2 is produced in it's production, even before consumption. - really? hasn't it already been used for cooking once? wouldn't it otherwise go to landfill? isn't it's CO2 content that which was absorbed when it grew, rather than that which has been locked up in fossils for millions of years? Or maybe be it magically creates it's own CO2. Who knows.

I see, you haven't a clue! Goreite by chance?
Old 14 October 2008, 03:58 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Some confusion here I think. The veggie stuff is now being grown in it's own right as fuel, rape and the like. The crop itself is used for fuel and is not the left overs after the crop has fed people like potato peelings. The crop takes out CO2 when it grows which is then released back into the atmosphere when it is used as a fuel. It is thus described as carbon neutral. IMHO this is a twisted interpretion of the spirit of reducing CO2.

In fact the whole concept stinks in my view. Reducing food crops in the 3rd world to produce fuel for 1st world 4 x 4s is a disgrace. dl

Last edited by David Lock; 14 October 2008 at 04:00 PM.
Old 14 October 2008, 06:59 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

I have mates who run the old shape L200 on pure veg oil.
They go to Aldi, Lidl etc and buy it buy the drum.

Does smell like a chippy when you're behind them, though.
Old 14 October 2008, 07:31 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tam the bam
Local spar near me is doing veggy oil for 79p a litre, cost me less than a tenner to get to work last week
Old 15 October 2008, 09:37 AM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

What mitsubishi are you running it on ?? I ran my pajero on 70% veg oil, 30% diesel. However after lots of tv programs about using veg oil, the price of the veg oil shot up, even higher than diesel.

Now I thought bio diesel was veg oil, whether new or used, thats been processed, using caustic soda to separate the fat parts ? If so, then bio diesel can screw your pump up. It eats through the pump seals.

SBK
Old 15 October 2008, 10:10 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Some more info here

https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...el-owners.html

dl
Old 15 October 2008, 01:10 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

SVO - Straight Vegatable Oil - New, clean, but produced for cooking rather than for driving. Not cracked/modified.

WVO - Waste Vegateble Oil - As the name suggests, the scrap oil from the chippy etc. Needs filtering and processing to clean it up enough to become a reliable fuel.

BioDiesel - Whatever the percentage of the base oils (see above), is a fuel derived from Vegetable oils, processed to burn reliably in modern diesel engines. To be sold on the forecourt, must comply with EN specification(s).

Whatever you do, be aware that switching from mineral to veggie fuels (and vice versa) will probably result in a lot of crud being flushed through the fuel system. Most recommend halving the distance between fuel filter changes but it's a good idea to change it around the time you switch anyway.

J.
Old 15 October 2008, 01:31 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Good summary. Just to add that pump stuff, at present, only has around 5% of bio which has very similar characteristics to regular diesel. But this can rot old style rubber fuel pipes but these are only found on quite old motors now, say 15 years plus. dl
Old 15 October 2008, 01:49 PM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vindaloo
SVO - Straight Vegatable Oil - New, clean, but produced for cooking rather than for driving. Not cracked/modified.

WVO - Waste Vegateble Oil - As the name suggests, the scrap oil from the chippy etc. Needs filtering and processing to clean it up enough to become a reliable fuel.

BioDiesel - Whatever the percentage of the base oils (see above), is a fuel derived from Vegetable oils, processed to burn reliably in modern diesel engines. To be sold on the forecourt, must comply with EN specification(s).

Whatever you do, be aware that switching from mineral to veggie fuels (and vice versa) will probably result in a lot of crud being flushed through the fuel system. Most recommend halving the distance between fuel filter changes but it's a good idea to change it around the time you switch anyway.

J.
I think it's WVO I got then
Old 15 October 2008, 01:51 PM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

Some confusion here I think. The veggie stuff is now being grown in it's own right as fuel, rape and the like. The crop itself is used for fuel and is not the left overs after the crop has fed people like potato peelings. The crop takes out CO2 when it grows which is then released back into the atmosphere when it is used as a fuel. It is thus described as carbon neutral. IMHO this is a twisted interpretion of the spirit of reducing CO2.

In fact the whole concept stinks in my view. Reducing food crops in the 3rd world to produce fuel for 1st world 4 x 4s is a disgrace. dl
I agree harvested oil replacing food production is a no-no (though I don't know where the standard 5% comes from), which is why I've only used recycled cooking oil (80% oil, plus ethannol and whatever else they need)
Old 15 October 2008, 01:52 PM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

I see, you haven't a clue! Goreite by chance?
No, Scorpio.

Sense of humour loss?
Old 15 October 2008, 02:14 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I agree harvested oil replacing food production is a no-no (though I don't know where the standard 5% comes from), which is why I've only used recycled cooking oil (80% oil, plus ethannol and whatever else they need)
EC regulations. Bio must now be put in fuel at pumps. I think it is 2.5% min at present which is set to rise to 10% (??) by 2010. But it seems 5% is more the norm by refiners/suppliers. dl
Old 15 October 2008, 03:37 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

I find the entire food situation most amusing (or is that despairing ). So many politicians and commentators thinking they were saving the bl**dy planet by promoting bio. Erm... NO!

Giving an even greater incentive for deforestation <tick>
Providing real competition for surplus foodstuffs thus meaning that poor, hungry people tend to starve <tick>

I think the main thing that Bio fuels may do if implemented in any quantity (if that's even possible) is to reduce emmisions at the point of use. So rather than (historically) going to school sucking in TEL (Tetra Ethyl Lead) and all sort of other hydrocarbon crap, you end up chewing chip oil instead.

J.
Old 16 October 2008, 01:01 AM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

No, Scorpio.

Sense of humour loss?
No. But your OP is not about bio-diesel, as is understood traditionally. You are talking about WVO, as pointed out, being "processed" for use in a diesel engine. Completely different story.

Regardless, if one takes Brasil as an example of "bio-fuels" and their use, the Brasillian rain forrest is being cut down at an alarming rate soley for the production of "bio-fuels". And as one postie correctly points out, the companies doing this get a big TICK from Govn'ts.

So while you may think your "carbon footprint" is reduced because you recycle WVO in your oil burner, you are in actual fact doing nothing to reduce Co2 emissions. Not that is actually matters anyway. Just how much effect will your actions actually contribute to a reduction in Co2 from the 380ppm? ZERO!!!!! But people's guilt will be placated, and Govn't will be happy, investors in bio-fuel and carbon trading schemes (Govn'ts) will be pleased.
Old 16 October 2008, 01:04 AM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vindaloo
I find the entire food situation most amusing (or is that despairing ). So many politicians and commentators thinking they were saving the bl**dy planet by promoting bio. Erm... NO!

Giving an even greater incentive for deforestation <tick>
Providing real competition for surplus foodstuffs thus meaning that poor, hungry people tend to starve <tick>

I think the main thing that Bio fuels may do if implemented in any quantity (if that's even possible) is to reduce emmisions at the point of use. So rather than (historically) going to school sucking in TEL (Tetra Ethyl Lead) and all sort of other hydrocarbon crap, you end up chewing chip oil instead.

J.
I read somewhere, some moons ago now, that TEL was the political reason for the introduction os ULP however, there are no health reasons to justify that move. I'll try to find the article, it made for some really intersting reading.
Old 16 October 2008, 01:30 AM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

half a tank of diesel and half tank of veg oil works for me
Old 16 October 2008, 09:46 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I read somewhere, some moons ago now, that TEL was the political reason for the introduction os ULP however, there are no health reasons to justify that move. I'll try to find the article, it made for some really intersting reading.
Do I understand you to be saying that Tetra Ethyl Lead is quite safe and that there was a political reason to bring in unleaded?? Seems a strange statement. I can't think why bringing in unleaded had any political advantages?

I don't think TEL was as bad as it was made out and, at the time (in the late 80's), there was a lot of disinformation flying around.

One big con, of course, is to suggest that unleaded is somehow "clean". All petrol is filthy dangerous stuff.

Apologies to OP for digression. dl
Old 16 October 2008, 01:50 PM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Do I understand you to be saying that Tetra Ethyl Lead is quite safe and that there was a political reason to bring in unleaded?? Seems a strange statement. I can't think why bringing in unleaded had any political advantages?

I don't think TEL was as bad as it was made out and, at the time (in the late 80's), there was a lot of disinformation flying around.

One big con, of course, is to suggest that unleaded is somehow "clean". All petrol is filthy dangerous stuff.

Apologies to OP for digression. dl
It was more to do with what TEL was replaced with in ULP to do the "same" job, and the political/lobbyist drivers behind it (After all, Shell, BP, Enron etc etc are/were behind/funded political lobying for carbon trading schemes, in the EU at least). Health wasn't the main driver in the article (It was backed up with references, not just a CT).
Old 16 October 2008, 02:47 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

All a bit academic now anyway!

Genesis Unleaded Petrol