Insurance claim. B'stards.

Search this Thread

Old 10 October 2008, 05:46 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance claim. B'stards.

Chaps,
Last week my misses bumped into the car in front.
This car was hesitating at a roundabout and the wife nudged it very gently. (Wife knows she should have been concentrating more but there you go, and she wholly admits to touching the car).

Anyway, woman in car gets out and so does the wife.
There is absolutely ZERO damage to either car, not even a scratch on ours and from the photo's nothing on the other (Punto).
The impact was so soft the wife actually thought she'd just stalled her car.

The woman asked wifey for her details so she gave them to her.
The conversation was along the lines of -

Wife - '...there's no damage to either cars'

Punto - ..'well I want your details incase there's damage underneath the bumper..'

Wife - '...ok, but I'm going to take some photo's too...'

Details were exchanged and Punto woman shot back into her car and sped off. But the woman wasn't keen on the wife taking pics.

Everything fine, both went on their way.

4 days later wife get's a phone call from Punto ins. company asking about the incident.
Wife explained everything and they seemed ok with it.

Today wife has received a letter from Puntos ins. co. claiming damage for the Punto.
Better still, wife received a letter from Puntos solicitor claiming Mrs Punto has bad damage to HER left side of neck, left shoulder and arm.

Now, my wife wholly admits that she 'bumped' the Punto, but in her opinion there is NO way this woman could have been injured from such a small bump.
Surely injuries like this would show some damage to the car?

Wife will gladly go to court over this and we'd also pay for an independant assessor to examine the Punto to clarify the unlikeliness to sustain the injury claimed from such a small bump.

This is my wifes company car and as such it really doesn't matter about a claim be levelled against her but it's just the principal of someone blatently trying to rip ALL of us who drive a car with insurance.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers, (a very pi$$ed off zip, after having a VERY bad day)
Old 10 October 2008, 05:51 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Get your ins company to assess the damage to your car? If they see your in untouched, surely it will help deal with this?
Old 10 October 2008, 05:57 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

id just leave it to the insurance company, presumably you have legal cover with your insurance? good luck
Old 10 October 2008, 06:00 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

I'm sure the wife's company's ins. company will do that.
cheers.

here's some pics of the Punto
(those aren't the wife's 'trendy' shoes in the pic, by the way )
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/h...IMG00042-1.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/h...IMG00043-1.jpg

And a pic of the Punt speeding off before the misses has finished taking the pics!
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/h...IMG00046-1.jpg

So, lots of damage to warrant a big personal injury claim, then.
Old 10 October 2008, 06:06 PM
EVOVI
Scooby Regular

It is claim culture..She had obviously spoken to someone since it happened hence the claim after the event.
Do not speak to anyone from the other party and just let your insurance company deal with it.
I had a minor bump almost a year ago now and got a letter this week from my insurance claiming someone else is now seeking damages...Judging by the tone of the letter they do not believe the claim is genuine especially as the new claim is from Mr asylum seeker from Afghanistan..
Old 10 October 2008, 06:08 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

This woman was most definitely English/British.

But I know what you mean

We'll certainly let our insurance sort it out but it has just wound me up so much.
Besides, it's a Y reg Punto and so is worth about £500 so it would more than likely be written off if anything is found damaged.
Old 10 October 2008, 06:10 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

This happened to a friend of mine, earlier this year. Exactly the same thing. He could not have been doing more than about 5mph.

He showed the pics to his insurance and gave them all the facts.

He got a letter from the other persons Solicitor, stating all these so called injuries. He replied, very curtly to tell the Solicitors to deal directly with the insurance company and not to bother him again.

His insurance company said they were getting loads of these scams and any future correspondence he received, personally, to forward immediately onto them and not to reply to the "injured" party or their Solicitors, at all.

He never heard another thing about it.

Oh, and his insurance has since been renewed with no penalties or mention of any claim
Old 10 October 2008, 06:10 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

A colleague had exactly the same thing.

A slow speed bump that cracked a number plate apparently warrented a 10K personal injury claim. His insurance company told her exactly where to get off.

Where as I walked away without injury from being rear ended at 30mph (I was stationary) and that shortened my Cavalier by 8".
Old 10 October 2008, 06:13 PM
C17RPA
Scooby Regular

you should tell your insurance she trying to put a fake claim through!!!!! surely from the pics both sides will know that woman is bull5hiting.and do her .............was she a yank by any chance????
Old 10 October 2008, 06:16 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by C17RPA
you should tell your insurance she trying to put a fake claim through!!!!! surely from the pics both sides will know that woman is bull5hiting.and do her .............was she a yank by any chance????
Nope, spoke good English.
Funny 'cos the first thing I asked the wife was 'is she foreign'.
I know I shouldn't have but after all these bogus claims you read about....
Old 10 October 2008, 06:21 PM
C17RPA
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zip106
Nope, spoke good English.
Funny 'cos the first thing I asked the wife was 'is she foreign'.
I know I shouldn't have but after all these bogus claims you read about....
is your wife 100% sure she did'nt roll backwards in to her
Old 10 October 2008, 06:23 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by C17RPA
is your wife 100% sure she did'nt roll backwards in to her

Unfortunately (fortunately?) she's too honest for that!

But I can see where you're coming from.
Old 10 October 2008, 06:24 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

I have no doubt that the other parties Dr will confirm the other party has whip lash, and i'm lead to believe it is a very difficult thing to disprove, as it is muscle/ lgament damage so does not show on X-rays etc.
Also I've no doubt your wife's insurance company will probably pay out £1500 or so just to settle the claim. I doubt it is going to go to court.
It's the society we live in
Old 10 October 2008, 06:39 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamescsti
I have no doubt that the other parties Dr will confirm the other party has whip lash, and i'm lead to believe it is a very difficult thing to disprove, as it is muscle/ lgament damage so does not show on X-rays etc.
Also I've no doubt your wife's insurance company will probably pay out £1500 or so just to settle the claim. I doubt it is going to go to court.
It's the society we live in
Could we not insist it goes to court?
Old 10 October 2008, 06:48 PM
C17RPA
Scooby Regular

oi mate sit outside her house with a video camera............never know if shes got a big **** on her (well she likes talking from it) she might go for a evening run of something
Old 10 October 2008, 06:54 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EVOVI
It is claim culture..She had obviously spoken to someone since it happened hence the claim after the event.
Do not speak to anyone from the other party and just let your insurance company deal with it.
Completely agree with that. The blame/sue culture that has sprung up in this country is getting out of hand (thank the bloody USA for this) and now you have to have your wits about you to avoid a major claim
Old 10 October 2008, 07:00 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

I'm no insurance expert by any means, however if you have already sent the Solicitors letter from her insurance company to your insurer I imagine it's now in the hands of your insurance company.
If you went to court it would be civil court, which works on "the balance of probabilities" rather than Criminal court which works on the basis of "beyond reasonable doubt".

I have no doubt the other woman your wife hit has employed a firm on a "no win no fee" basis where as you would incur costs in going to court without the backing of your insurance company who would manage the claim.
Then if it went to court she would possibly produce her doctor who diagnosed whiplash as a witness, which her solicitor would pay for. And you would have to prove "beyond reasonable doubt" that the injuries were not caused in the accident, which will be very difficult, you would need an expert of your own to support your claim, which will be expensive.

If you won the case you could claim your costs from her firm however if you lost, without your insurers backing you would be liable for the otherr sides costs, which would run into thousands, and as i said before whiplash is extremely difficult to disprove.

I would just accept it as experience
Old 10 October 2008, 07:05 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Morals.
Seems many people are lacking theirs, doesn't it.

We couldn't afford to lose a court case like that so no doubt the git will just walk away with a few grand.

It's really pi$$ed us off even though it's a company car!
Old 10 October 2008, 08:55 PM
All Torque
Scooby Regular

My son had a bump a few weeks ago in his car, it was a single lane track and the other driver admitted liability at the scene he was going to fast for the road conditions, my son had saw him coming and stopped.
He was a little shaken it was a new car and his 1st bump but he said the other boy was a tidy chap and he wasn`t bothered as his insurance Will pay including his £650 xcess.
Like **** did he he told his insurance company that it was a single lane track and my son did not pull over far enough for them to pass he was like 3" from a stone wall where was he going to go. Oh and the other car had damage on both sides of his car from hitting my sons car and the wall on his side.
I told our insurance co. that the other party had admitted liability but that was no use, we would have to have had a letter posted to either myself or my insurance co. otherwise it could be said we pressurized him into admitting if we got it in writing at the scene, unless we had an independent witness there would be nothing the insurance could do about it.
Morals have got to go out of the window even if you are in the wrong and get full comp with protection and just tell your own insurance co. a complete bull$hit story of the event and get it on 50-50
Old 10 October 2008, 09:46 PM
Gilesdwrc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by All Torque
My son had a bump a few weeks ago in his car, it was a single lane track and the other driver admitted liability at the scene he was going to fast for the road conditions, my son had saw him coming and stopped.
He was a little shaken it was a new car and his 1st bump but he said the other boy was a tidy chap and he wasn`t bothered as his insurance Will pay including his £650 xcess.
Like **** did he he told his insurance company that it was a single lane track and my son did not pull over far enough for them to pass he was like 3" from a stone wall where was he going to go. Oh and the other car had damage on both sides of his car from hitting my sons car and the wall on his side.
I told our insurance co. that the other party had admitted liability but that was no use, we would have to have had a letter posted to either myself or my insurance co. otherwise it could be said we pressurized him into admitting if we got it in writing at the scene, unless we had an independent witness there would be nothing the insurance could do about it.
Morals have got to go out of the window even if you are in the wrong and get full comp with protection and just tell your own insurance co. a complete bull$hit story of the event and get it on 50-50
I've had exactly the same experence, (back in '93-4) except luckily I had my camera and got photos not of the damage but of the situation and the 50-75yd skid bouncing off two hedges before the other car hit me.

Three rules I've ground in to the Mrs.

1. NEVER admit liability, or even say sorry.

2. Take loads of photos, a couple of the damage but lots of the location of cars, the skidmarks, road conditions, ect, ect.

3. If in doubt call the plod, they'll be the best witness.

4 (never to be spoken). If it is your fault quickly 'clear the road for traffic' and say as little as possible.
Old 11 October 2008, 09:16 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

Sounds like shes definitely trying it on with the personal injury claim rubbish.

Sad thing about this is that people who genuinely get hurt dont get what they should now.

My wife was rear ended hard by someone years ago which wrote off the car ( a mark 1 Fiesta getting hit by a Land Rover ), and actually had proper whiplash - this was before all the claim culture, and she got around £5000 - she did have to have over a week off work in a collar, and couldnt sleep at night because of the pain.

Same thing happened again a few years later, and for pretty much identical injuries she got just over £1000.

So why the difference ? the only thing that has changed is that now everyone who gets into an accident sees the pound signs and claims for whiplash, emotional trauma etc...

Personally I would be too ashamed to act like such a pikey and go into a doctors and pretend there was something wrong with me when I knew there wasnt, particularly for something like £1500 !
Old 11 October 2008, 09:32 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Not Bradford or surrounding areas was it? (known as the 'Bradistan insurance scam')

Getting very common now particularly amongst some parts of our society and certain areas although it is spreading!

Easy money in a claim culture - bad news for all of us!

Last edited by The Zohan; 11 October 2008 at 09:52 AM.
Old 11 October 2008, 09:50 AM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Outskirts of Derby city centre.
Old 11 October 2008, 10:32 AM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep your distance is the best thing to do(tyres and tarmac) from the car in front,Ive never hit anyone but it's happened a few times to me also.A popular one seems to be waiting at traffic lights,lights go green and the vehicle infront goes to drive forward and then suddenly brakes,hoping you will be close enough behind to bump into the back of them.I had a mad one Wednesday,Driving along a main road i was doing about 35mph on 40 limit,and there was a side road on my left in the distance.I could see a red nissan micra waiting just at the edge of the give way markings,the road was clear going both ways so she could of pulled out way before i got near.Anyhow as i got closer i could see her looking right at me.As i got about 10 meteres away,this woman in the micra just pulls out right in front of me and stopped.I quickly swerved to the left drove between a road sign bollard,and went round the back of her car,she then just quickly drove off.It's a knightmare on the roads now.Oh and i dont think i need to say what colour the woman was.The car she was driving should give you the answer.A Nissan Micra..
Old 11 October 2008, 10:36 AM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

I've had the experience a couple of times, people breaking erraticly in front of me, and I always keep my distance, but it's definately the case that some people on the road are actively seeking to have accidents these days.
Old 11 October 2008, 10:37 AM
apples24
Scooby Regular

fair play to your wife to have to common sense to take pictures mate.

just let the insurance co deal with it and dont worry, its what they are there for
Old 11 October 2008, 11:12 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

The world seems full of cheats these days. I hope it all get sorted in your wife's favour.

Les
Old 11 October 2008, 01:10 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Next time take pics before handing over your details, not so likeley to speed off then

TX.
Old 11 October 2008, 03:55 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Ta for the replies.

We'll give everything to the insurance company on Monday. (although I'm in two minds about taking some covert video footage... )

So, I'm assuming all of you who have looked at the 'damage' in the pics would agree that it would be very unlikely to sustain any injuries, let alone the ones she's claiming for?
Old 12 October 2008, 12:45 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

A mate of mine was driving his zafira with his wife and 2 kids in it, an asian kid in a**** box was tailgaiting him for a while then overtook him pulling in right in front of him and slammed on the brakes, my mate ran up the back of him. Mate went to get out of the car to check the damage and the asian kid zoomed off. There was zero damage to the zafira as the impact was pretty slow. Anyway my mate got a solicitors letter from the asian kids solicitor claiming whip lash damage to their client. MY mate said there was no damage to the car so how could he have whiplash? also he zoomed off without swapping details so he must have just use my mates reg number to get the solicitor to trace him. Anyway the asian kid said he zoomed off as he feared for his safety as my mate got out of his car, and my mate is not overly big or menacing. Anyway mate reported all this to his insurance company and they said yeah it is a false claim and a common scam but there was nowt they could do about it so paid out for damages and my mates no claims bonus was shot and his premium went up inspite of them knowing it was a false claim. Insurance companies suck.

Quick Reply: Insurance claim. B'stards.