Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Prophet Muhammed's Child Bride book dropped by UK publishers for fear of violence

Search this Thread

Old 07 October 2008, 08:53 AM
iamevilhomer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prophet Muhammed's Child Bride book dropped by UK publishers for fear of violence

BBC NEWS | World | Americas | Prophet bride book appears in US

1st i have heard about this, apologies if it's already been covered,

Freedom of speech is definitely out the window with some poeple

Wonder how long it takes for a fatwa of death to be declared on the author
Old 07 October 2008, 09:10 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

To be fair, freedom of speech has nothing to do with a private business chosing not to publish something.

Having said that, it sucks that some people would start fires at a publishers office to stop them publishing something, but luckily they've been arrested and charged at least Hopefully they'll be thrown in the clink, if found guilty
Old 07 October 2008, 11:40 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Freedom of speech is one thing but I think it is very stupid to deliberately publish something that will give offence to those who follow a religion.

We had enough trouble with Salman Rushdi and as an aside, look how much we had to pay to protect him from the ensuing fatwa.

Deliberately insulting a religion or following is quite unnecessary and should not be done.

Les
Old 07 October 2008, 11:59 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

How are they deliberately insulting? Reads to me like a historical and factually accurate biography. Should we stop people learning because a minority of people don't know how to behave properly?

Perhaps we should get rid of the Dinosaur exhibits at the British Museum to stop offending creationists like US vice president wannabe Sarah Palin?

Or perhaps we should let commonsense rule and encourage other muslims to see these people as the divisive zelots that they are.

Don't want em don't need em. They are welcome to go live in the dark ages where it seems their beliefs are stuck.

5t.
Old 07 October 2008, 12:01 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perhaps if less time was spent reading obscure novels, there might be more time in the day to go and tax the old motor seeing as it gets overlooked so often due to the literary burden.
Old 07 October 2008, 12:09 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

The problem is with this sort of thing is that it stoeks anti muslim sentiment, when the problems isn't even caused by them.

Yes you may get some nut taking offnse, but crazy foo's taking offence is not the sole preserve of Islam.

Instead of publishing it, and possibly having a bit of a rucas, they have turned it into an international news story. And what is the message that comes across? "Book not published for fear of offending Muslims"

Censorship drives me potty.
Old 07 October 2008, 12:13 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why dont they just call the character the prophet "Gavin" or something to avoid the agro ?

Ever think that some are just looking for an opoportunity to kick off about something, its like on here how NACRO gets infracted within 24 hours of re-appearing after the last one.
Old 07 October 2008, 12:21 PM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Why dont they just call the character the prophet "Gavin" or something to avoid the agro ?

Ever think that some are just looking for an opoportunity to kick off about something, its like on here how NACRO gets infracted within 24 hours of re-appearing after the last one.
As the first convert follower of the Prophet Gavin ( ), I take your flippant use of his holy name as an insult against my religion. I shall now find out where you live and blow myself up outside your house.
Old 07 October 2008, 12:34 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Surely if someone wants to write a novel that claims anything including Mohhamed having sex with donkeys then they have a right to. It is a novel and as such the writer has clearly taken a deliberate step to wind people up to get a bit of attention otherwise why write a made up story about real people. As much as the writer is probably a scumbag she can write what she likes provided it does not violate rasicm laws. Why any publisher would bother to carry it I do not know.
Old 07 October 2008, 01:56 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbo2
As the first convert follower of the Prophet Gavin ( ), I take your flippant use of his holy name as an insult against my religion. I shall now find out where you live and blow myself up outside your house.
Well who can say that might not be a relief!

Les
Old 07 October 2008, 02:05 PM
spireite
BANNED

Originally Posted by J4CKO

Why not call him gary the glitter prophet