Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Was your childhood more exciting/enjoyable than your kids is now?

Search this Thread

Old 06 October 2008, 08:09 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Was your childhood more exciting/enjoyable than your kids is now?

Mine was,

it consisted of school,
home from school, bike out of the shed, and awol till it was dark,

we dont let ours childdren out of our site now.
to think we used to play football till you couldnt see your hand in front of your face, then get someone from the childrens home (we played on their pitch) to put the lights on so you could see.

and mess about in the woods,
makng rope swings over the brook etc,

my lad got up this sat morning, and in the space of 20 mins it was,

1. main telly on,
2. telly in back room put on,
3. x-box on,
4 x-box off,
5 ds on, then off
6. computer on,
7. wii on bored, then off.

all in the space of 20 minutes,
when i was seven it was football or bike or cleaning your bike.

we couldnt afford expensive toys or treats we didnt have the money so we learned to do without.

do you feel your childhood was better then ?
Old 06 October 2008, 08:11 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

my missus calls me alf garnet, but im convinced its true,

we didnt get the expensive toys or treats and were better off for it
Old 06 October 2008, 08:12 PM
Karl Wunout
BANNED

I'm sure when your kids are older they will look back and laugh at their childhood, especially when they mention that dad bought a magnet for mum's car.
Old 06 October 2008, 08:21 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Yes, my daughter has more stuff than I ever did, lives in a nicer house, gets driven around in nicer cars, has better holidays, but she doesn't have one thing that I did - a Mum at home at the end of the school day. Sad really.
Old 06 October 2008, 08:21 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

It was different thats all, we had a good upbringing, nothing flash my parents did the best they could.

I would agree it was definately safer to be out and about playing I would never dream of letting my kids go out and play like we did.
Old 06 October 2008, 10:58 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

strange how people won't let their kids out to play - I guess traffic is a big factor these days but more so is the fear instilled by the media. i.e. no more kiddy fiddlers etc than when we were little, but now everyone's aware of them. shame as playing out and learning from your mistakes (like falling out of trees, face planting when jumping your bike over that too big jump etc) are all part of growing up.

today's little darlings are forever shipped from one expensive activity to another, spoon fed and dependent on parents to a point where they lose the ability to think for themselves. no wonder drugs and alcohol are on the up - poor little sods are bored!
Old 07 October 2008, 12:27 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by j4ckos mate
my missus calls me alf garnet, but im convinced its true,

we didnt get the expensive toys or treats and were better off for it
I think that is at the base of it as much as anything.

We did not get expensive toys ever but just presents at birthday time and Christmas.

We made our own entertainment with fishing, go carts made out of pram wheels or playing football or cricket in the "Rec" etc and later with old motor bikes which we saved up for and maintained ourselves with a bit of help and advice when we needed it.

It was all great fun, we were never bored, and we learned to take care of ourselves without having to rely on grown ups to do it for us. There were never enough hours in the day!

Happy days too.

Les
Old 07 October 2008, 12:38 PM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

I shouldn't worry. With the financial end of the world nigh, we'll soon be back to giving our kids good old Xmas presents like an orange or a hoop & stick. Maybe even a wooden top for their birthdays, if they don't forget to wash behind their ears after a hard shift "down t'pit". Happy Days...
Old 07 October 2008, 01:09 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

i will never forget the excitment of finding an old pram,

get some wood and bolts and nails, kepy you busy for ages.
Old 07 October 2008, 01:17 PM
spireite
BANNED

Originally Posted by j4ckos mate
i will never forget the excitment of finding an old pram,

get some wood and bolts and nails, kepy you busy for ages.

Them were the days its just fling yourself down a hill in a tesco's trolley now though
Old 07 October 2008, 01:20 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Yes - I went out to play as soon as school finished, and all weekend. (Juniors didn't get homework back then)
Old 07 October 2008, 02:22 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Yes.

But the rose tinted spectacle brigade will be along soon to ruin it and remind us the sun never shone and it was always grey and no way were we better off and having more fun .

So,

Bikes,friends,dens,fresh air,or

TV,TV,Wee wee,playstation,x box,1000texts a day,mobile phones,virtual friends on t'internet,comparing pasty complexions

Mmmmmm.Difficult choice.Ok,preferred my gadget free childhood

Last edited by lozgti; 07 October 2008 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07 October 2008, 02:37 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

my dad always made them ultra sturdy, the bogies never fell apart but were dead slow , you could ram raid with them.

did you nick gates at bonfire night as well
Old 07 October 2008, 02:37 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

I dont think you can compare you childhood to your childrens. They would probably think your childhood as boring as ****e.
Old 07 October 2008, 02:40 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

I dont have kids but if I did Id probably try and influence them to be like i was as a kid (presuming I had a lad, if it was a gal then it'd be the misses job ) out playing football at every available oportunity, Saturdays consisting of me taking them to watch the local team etc...

Kids lifes nowadays seem to revolve around consoles
Old 07 October 2008, 02:44 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Think my daughter has it pretty cushy really.

My parents were pub owners until they split so I spent alot of time being looked after by other people. I had a private education until they split up which meant the kids around me I didn't know as there wasn't anyone in my village at the school I went to.

I worry a little that my daughter is lonely. There is only a lad down the road in her class for her to play with. Other than that she only has us. We turned the dining room into a toy room so shes got plenty to play with. She doesn't sit for too long in front of the TV and we tend to play games with her and I'm trying to teach her chess (she'll be 7 next month )

I hope hers is a better quality of growing up than mine - although mine wasn't really bad. It was tough when my parents split for a long time. Fingers crossed we can stay together at least until shes an adult. My parents split when I was 7. Don't want history to repeat itself.
Old 07 October 2008, 02:49 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Gordo
strange how people won't let their kids out to play - I guess traffic is a big factor these days but more so is the fear instilled by the media.
I agree the paedo-parnanoia pushed by the media is not helping kids. Plus the health & safety and no-win-no-fee explosion has meant that a lot of kids play areas aren't as good as they used to be. Hell when I was little we used to go playing on building sites, running round the scaffold and stealing all the putty out of newly fitted windows to use as plasticine. By the third time all the windows had fallen out though, I was busted !!
I encourage my own kids to play out as often as possible. I guess I'm quite lucky living near a playing field - I just kick out my 6 year old and tell her to come home when the street lights come on, I don't believe in limiting their freedom to explore. She even plays out in the rain - wellies on, raincoat, out she goes. The only time she plays on games consoles etc. is if the weather is too bad or its dark !
Old 07 October 2008, 03:03 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MJW
The only time she plays on games consoles etc. is if the weather is too bad or its dark !
I think this goes for a lot of kids. Certain my youngest will be sitting in playig videogames, but the slightedt hint of sun he is out the door.

People seems to think that consoles rule out outdoor activity for ever ; they don't.
Old 07 October 2008, 03:10 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
I dont think you can compare you childhood to your childrens. They would probably think your childhood as boring as ****e.
Its an odd one really.

My brothers kids have every single thing a kid could allegedly want.Toys games,a few bikes each,tv's in bedrooms.

Yet they get far more excited about coming over to ours where our three year olds have nothing but a good garden for hide and seek,dens etc.

Think the reality is,all kids love the same thing.Fresh air and freedom.They are virtually forced into the games cosole stuff by parents worried sick about them out playing.

And funnily enough,I am even more envious of my parents childhood which seemed even simpler again.Sounds like they had wonderful times growing up.

Modern world.......bit pants for them really
Old 07 October 2008, 03:14 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

But having nice things, and playing outside are not mutually exclusive. I think if, as a parent you try and keep them locked up indoors, then you aren't a very good one
Old 07 October 2008, 03:14 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Not really sure on this one, I take my lad (8 year old)to do all kinds of activities, go karting, am taking him clay pigeon shooting now etc etc. Always out and about doing stuff. He has done rifle shooting, absailing camping, etc etc even down to (maybe) silly things like sitting on my lap driving fastish round a open field. These things are very cool to do when your that age, and don't remember having anything like that done for me when I was that age. Which is probably why I'm more inclined to do it for him.

But then again I could play out a lot more, like the others have said on bikes and nobody thought anything of it, which is where I had most of my fun as a lad.
Old 08 October 2008, 12:18 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
But having nice things, and playing outside are not mutually exclusive. I think if, as a parent you try and keep them locked up indoors, then you aren't a very good one
Quite right!

Les
Old 08 October 2008, 12:21 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

My childhood was great, as we could go out and play, make dens play cowboys and indians, climb trees, camp out, have picnics etc etc.......
Old 08 October 2008, 12:36 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Used to bugger off in the morning and return periodically for food, usually smelling of pond water, smoke or building materials.
Old 08 October 2008, 12:51 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Used to bugger off in the morning and return periodically for food, usually smelling of pond water, smoke or building materials.
Sometimes bleeding too!
Old 08 October 2008, 04:10 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by lozgti
Its an odd one really.

My brothers kids have every single thing a kid could allegedly want.Toys games,a few bikes each,tv's in bedrooms.

Yet they get far more excited about coming over to ours where our three year olds have nothing but a good garden for hide and seek,dens etc.

Think the reality is,all kids love the same thing.Fresh air and freedom.They are virtually forced into the games cosole stuff by parents worried sick about them out playing.

And funnily enough,I am even more envious of my parents childhood which seemed even simpler again.Sounds like they had wonderful times growing up.

Modern world.......bit pants for them really
I find this too. Although we have a multitude of games consoles, Sky +, PC etc. they prefer to play outside.

However, if the weather is crap or it's dark, then they are not short of things to do, even if they do complain they are bored!! To be fair, I think our generation were the same, we just had less to be bored with

Geezer
Old 08 October 2008, 04:30 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by J4CKO
And missing a shoe/welly