Another Ebay rant....

Search this Thread

Old 03 October 2008, 10:12 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Ebay rant....

Why the hell do we bother with it?

I've just sold a synthetic granite sink that was left in one of our rental properties by a former tenant (a kitchen appliance seller). Listed as 'new', because its never been used, but clearly marked 'ex display' and the two marks on it clearly photographed and described.

I don't offer 'collection' as an option, just insured p&p to include a full roll of buublewrap.

Anyway, I allow this guy to collect as he says he's local, and I'm reckoning that a sink looks a bit of a bugger to wrap.

He comes down, farts about inspecting it for about 20 minutes, then pays and takes it away. He obviously know what he was doing as he knew the make / model even though it had no stickers on it. To me it was just a sink, which is how I'd described it.

I get an email later that day saying there's a foot long crack in it! He says its a hairline crack so appreciates I wouldn't have seen it.... so I ask for photos, which he duly emails, having put chalk in the crack so it shows up.

I've made the usual noises about being sure it wasn't there when he collected, and he was quite happy when he paid, and suggesting it had been damaged after it left us.

I then follow on that I'm an honest type chap, and I will assume that he's the same, so I'll refund his money if he returns the sink. I'm not happy about it, but there's an outside chance he's been wronged. Damn morals.

It seems the offer of a refund wasn't good enough... He has now said he won't communicate further, and he's going to trading standards

FFS. Whats the world coming to???
Old 03 October 2008, 10:47 AM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Don't think trading standards applies to private sales does it? Sold as seen and all that? Could be wrong though
Old 03 October 2008, 10:51 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Let him and laugh. Guess he paid cash?

Trading Standards only mediate anyway. They have to show both parties tried to work it out. He hasn't so you can just refuse to play ball now and keep his cash. Serves him right.

5t.
Old 03 October 2008, 10:54 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RRH
It seems the offer of a refund wasn't good enough... He has now said he won't communicate further, and he's going to trading standards

FFS. Whats the world coming to???
Everybody wants something for nothing now.

IMO he's shot himself in the foot. He had the chance to get a refund from yourself, but has refused. Contacting Trading standards instead, which IMHO will get him no where as it's a private sale.

He won't comunicate any further? Perfect, as once trading standards tell him they can't do anything, he'll be after a refund again.

Ignore his emails. He made it clear he won't communicate further, so do the same.
Old 03 October 2008, 11:25 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that guys. I can't see what more I can do to be honest but it suits me fine to not communicate further.

I *suspect* this guy knows what he's doing- I'm told they can be repaired so maybe thats the plan, as he said the crack isn't visible. If it can be repaired with resin or something he gets a free £400 sink.

That plan kind of falls apart if I ask for it to be returned.

One area that could prove questionable is that I listed it through the company ebay account, so its showing as 'business seller'- however, distance selling doesn't apply as far as I'm aware, he had ample chance to inspect what were obviously not brand new goods, and I've offered a refund!

**Edited to add, just for clarity, that the business we conduct on ebay is in no way related to kitchens, sinks etc.**

Thanks again
Old 03 October 2008, 11:27 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fivetide
Let him and laugh. Guess he paid cash?
yep
Old 03 October 2008, 12:51 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

haha - caveat emptor in action

he inspected it and paid you cash before taking it away.

sounds like a complete 4rse to me - I wouldn't even contemplate refunding him now he's done this - especially as it's likely he cracked the thing!

good luck!
Gordo
Old 03 October 2008, 12:51 PM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

if it's listed as new and sold through a business listing, I'm not sure it would be classed as a private sale?
I've sold unused items, but I haven't dared call them new, as I don't know the legal ramification.
IIRC if you buy something stated as being damaged, you accept that damage, but not any other damage / faults. It often comes down to what's reasonable though, and you gave him the chance to resolve it, which would be your obligation if it was classed as a business sale, so I can't see him having a leg to stand on