Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone else got kids going to/gone to uni?

Search this Thread

Old 28 September 2008, 05:44 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question Anyone else got kids going to/gone to uni?

My youngest went yesterday, and the house is now so quiet.
I find myself wondering how he is and what he's doing, although I've never been a particularly protective dad.
How long does it take for these feelings to fade/

Alcazar
Old 28 September 2008, 06:05 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He's fine. He's either ********, trying to **** or recovering from all the ******** he's done.
Old 28 September 2008, 06:06 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
He's fine. He's either ********, trying to **** or recovering from all the ******** he's done.
LOL

Alcazar
Old 28 September 2008, 06:08 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

<waits for someone to say their daughter's just gone to uni>
Old 28 September 2008, 06:08 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lmfao wish i had of went to uni, i missed out on alot of errr ********!
Old 28 September 2008, 06:26 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

My older one went to live with his dad at 18, because it was more convenient and cheaper for him to travel to and fro college from his dad's. I miss him a lot, as he ended up growing his roots at his dad's. Now he has a job. He visits us quite often, though

My younger one will be going to university in two year's time. I indeed will miss her so much! "Mom, can I have this?" "Mom, can I have that?" "Mom, can you pick me up from James's tonight?" "Mom, can we have a BBQ for my mates tonight?" "Mom, can I be a pain in the @rse today?" LOL I will miss all that so much, I know! I don't know how long it takes to fade. I still miss my son in our house. He was here yesderday night. It felt great to accommodate him and his new GF. House felt full for us with familiar giggles, footsteps up an down the house, toilet flushes, brother&sister banters, and fun.

As the others are saying here, your son must be having a good time, experiencing new things. It's us parents that feel a bit hollow without them. We may never get fully used to the fact that they are now away from us, starting their independent exploration without our apparent assistance. But we are always here for them, if they ever need us
I bet my parents thought the same when I left India, and came as far as the UK on my tod. A few thousand miles away from them.

Last edited by Turbohot; 28 September 2008 at 09:01 PM.
Old 28 September 2008, 06:48 PM
paulwrxboro
Scooby Regular

My sons still at home , got hisself a job and earns £160 per week as an aprentice sparky (not bad at 16) now i still feel like i have to tell him to be in at ten, but hes gonna want to go out drinking with his mates, i still feel protective over him but he is turning into a man.. its a hard time
Old 28 September 2008, 07:49 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulwrxboro
My sons still at home , got hisself a job and earns £160 per week as an aprentice sparky (not bad at 16) now i still feel like i have to tell him to be in at ten, but hes gonna want to go out drinking with his mates, i still feel protective over him but he is turning into a man.. its a hard time
Well my boy's a couple of years older but I'm even stricter

I insist that he is in by 9 as I tell him he has to have breakfast, have a shower, turn off all the things he left on in his room and be off to work by 10
Old 28 September 2008, 08:45 PM
ricardo
Scooby Regular

Dropped our son off at Essex Uni today. Went to Tescos and bought some supplies (beer, beans, bog rolls).

As we left he was waiting for the others on that floor of the hall of residence to arrive - it is 3 blokes and 3 women for each kitchen, and none of the women had turned up as we left.

Later on we had a text that said he was having fun. We surmised that the women had arrived...
Old 28 September 2008, 08:47 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

My son got himself a job on the milkrounds since the age of 13. He volunteered, not my idea. Bit of pocket money for him it was, I suppose. Alongwith, he washed dishes in a hotel too for 5 years until he was 18. Again, his decision. Not mine. He never failed to turn up at his little jobs, never been late, never got told off by the bosses, never let them down for any reason. With this disposition and training, he is spot on with his waking up and time keeping, without my/his dad's assistance. 5.30am waking up, 6.15am breakfast, 6.30am out of the house He gives a lift to some of his mates from his workplace. He always reaches the car park earlier to wait for those lads to turn up. One day, one of the lads was late by 15 minutes or so. My son didn't wait for longer than 5 minutes, and he left Mister Late had to take the train in, as he didn't find my son waiting for him any longer LOL Harsh on the lad, who was late. But good on my son to keep up with his time keeping for work, I think. He chooses not to drink in the week. Weekends only.
Old 28 September 2008, 10:25 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by ricardo
Later on we had a text that said he was having fun. We surmised that the women had arrived...

or the beer had cooled
Old 28 September 2008, 10:31 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

One odd fact that I've never adequately been able to explain.

When I was younger I had a stammer - full blown Gareth Gates at his WORST type stammer. I couldn't get a single sentence out without stammering. I couldn't even SAY sentence or stammer for Gods sake.

Anyway. I started Uni (Hull) in 1984, and arrived on October 6th. I remember this day for three reasons:

My Mums birthday (and she blubbed her eyes out!)
The day i arrived at Uni
The day I stopped stammering.

I kid you not. I woke up that morning with a stammer and went to bed without it. For some reason, I just stopped.

I still catch on occasional words now- mainly when stressed but no one believes I had such a terrible, terrible stammer.
Old 28 September 2008, 10:45 PM
paulwrxboro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kieran_Burns
One odd fact that I've never adequately been able to explain.

When I was younger I had a stammer - full blown Gareth Gates at his WORST type stammer. I couldn't get a single sentence out without stammering. I couldn't even SAY sentence or stammer for Gods sake.

Anyway. I started Uni (Hull) in 1984, and arrived on October 6th. I remember this day for three reasons:

My Mums birthday (and she blubbed her eyes out!)
The day i arrived at Uni
The day I stopped stammering.

I kid you not. I woke up that morning with a stammer and went to bed without it. For some reason, I just stopped.

I still catch on occasional words now- mainly when stressed but no one believes I had such a terrible, terrible stammer.
I dont beleve ya
Old 29 September 2008, 08:22 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

For all the worried parents - dont get stressed as they will be back at regular intervals for the holidays with piles of washing, chlamydia and an outstretched hand for some cash, then once they have graduated they will move back into your house for the next 10 years, expecting it to be rent free, while they try and 'save for a deposit for a house' ( in reality, spending all their money in impractical cars, holidays with their mates and going out on the lash )

If by the time they are in their mid 30's you havent had the decency to die and leave them the house, or got so sick of them being there that you pay the deposit for them to move, then they may eventually move out of their own accord and you'll get some peace and be able to walk around the house naked again without worrying about bumping into one of their mates / girlfriends.
Old 30 September 2008, 01:11 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
My youngest went yesterday, and the house is now so quiet.
I find myself wondering how he is and what he's doing, although I've never been a particularly protective dad.
How long does it take for these feelings to fade/

Alcazar
I doubt they they ever will Alcazar, you will have to content yourself with the fact that he will be doing a lot of "growing up" but you can expect him to need a bit of a helping hand from time to time. I bet you see the difference next time he arrives at home.

Les
Old 30 September 2008, 02:15 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Leslie
I doubt they they ever will Alcazar, you will have to content yourself with the fact that he will be doing a lot of "growing up" but you can expect him to need a bit of a helping hand from time to time. I bet you see the difference next time he arrives at home.

Les
Yup - he'll smell from not having done any clothes washing since he left

Nah - you'll see a HUGE difference. The friends you make at Uni are usually the ones that stay for life. I made more friends in my first week than I had done in my entire life before