natwest morons.

Search this Thread

Old 26 September 2008, 04:27 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default natwest morons.

today has not been a good day!

got my first wage since I was made redundant 7 or 8 weeks ago. good you would think? well maybe if I had received it all and not just £23! over £400 in bank charges, fair enough you might say if you hadn't bothered to cancel direct debits or contact the bank right?

But what if you had been to your local branch and talked to a manager about it and had been told that it would be all sorted and DD cancelled.

well after 12 or so calls to the natwest today I have been basically told that I should not have listened to what they told me in the branch as it was not factual! so I am now over £400 out of pocket due to them making a **** up at their end!

I have just come off the phone to the financial ombudsman though, and they were very helpful, they are going to contact them for me and request a final decision letter and then deal with it from there. the person I spoke to at the ombudsman department just said he was amazed at their response at natwest.

anyone had a similar experience? what was the outcome? am I likely to get anything back or will it just be the same answer?

cheers in advance.

James
Old 26 September 2008, 04:30 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That "reasonable bank charges letter" springs to mind

Barclays paid me back £180 after I sent one to them

not had a charge against my account since..
Old 26 September 2008, 04:34 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

that is currently at an appeal with the banks at the minute so they are not accepting any charge backs at this time. you can get everything in place ready, but at the minute its not something thats available. I will go down that route at a later date though
Old 26 September 2008, 04:43 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

NatWest? Ah yes, the bank that had it's own t-shirt available, (through Viz magazine), that said, "GnatWest. Now f*ck off!"

Except it had the full four letters.

They have had a p*ss-poor reputation for YEARS now.

Alcazar
Old 26 September 2008, 04:53 PM
ademid
Scooby Regular

Yep I got stitched up by Natwest aswell some years ago!!! Same sort of thing, I was being medically discharged from the army and my pay was all over the shop I took letters proving how much i was going to be paid and when (it was later than normal) and to cut a long story short I got shafted and ended up with charges and a default (thats a right pain in the **** i can tell you!!!)

End result I left them and now put loads of hard earned through Lloyds who have been great since I joined them!

As said before W@nkers!!!!

Ade
Old 26 September 2008, 08:28 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Advice given in a bank outweighs that given over the phone in a call centre.
Old 26 September 2008, 08:35 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

thats what I thought too. will wait and see what the ombudsman comes up with.

Trending Topics

Old 26 September 2008, 08:44 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Id disregard what youve told by the call centre. As you know, I was an engineer in a call centre and the turn over of staff was massive. Even where they were employed and not agency staff, they only received 10-12 days training: agency staff were lucky to see 5 days. Id be extremely surprised to learn that Natwest were any better in this respect than the very large firm whom I worked for.

Bearing that in mind do you really believe that the opinion of someone at a call centre will outweigh that of the manager of your local branch? Personally Id be taking it up in the branch and letting them sort it out (rather than letting them fob me off to a call centre number where the staff don thave the experience to deal with the issue nor the authority to act).

Simon
Old 28 September 2008, 08:01 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

got a call back yesterday from GnatWest they say they will refund £200 and the rest must stand, so I said your accepting liability by giving me the £200 but say the rest must remain?? I explained that I had contacted the financial ombudsman and their atitude instantly changed! they are to look at the remaining £200 in charges on monday with a "manager", but I said I would not accept anything but all of it back. watch this space....
Old 28 September 2008, 10:18 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

i had major problems with nat west that bad i ended up leaving and going to Lloyds TSB , can't fault them tbh alot more helpfull then nat west
Old 28 September 2008, 10:42 AM
Removed.
Scooby Regular

When the missus and I were looking for a mortgage, we made an appointment with Nat West, as I'd been with then for about 15 years, and the bloke we saw actually laughed at us, and said, come back in a year when you've got £20K saved up, and we'll think about it! At the time, '93 I think, that was more than my gross annual wage. I was fecking fuming, I had never expected to be treated like that! Someone I worked with said, pop into TSB, we did, and the attitude was, of course we'll give you a mortgage, how much do you want Been with them ever since. When I moved my accounts, the manager at my branch, whom I knew through my work, asked why I was leaving I told him EXACTLY why. About three or four weeks later I had an offer of a mortgage and a letter of apology, what a shame it was too late

I refuse to have anything to do with TwatWest now
Old 28 September 2008, 10:58 AM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I know a guy who, when he was a student, ran up a £2000 overdraft with the Natwest then moved 3 times in rapid succession... the bank never caught up with him and after the required 6 (7?) years the debt was written off.

I hope this makes you feel better! Someone managed to screw them (in a small way)
Old 29 September 2008, 09:51 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

I have been with them since 94 and dont really have any complaints lol.
Although I have been lucky enough this weekend to have my card cloned, so lets see if I get my money back.

I will reserve judgement til that comes in, then have my say
Old 29 September 2008, 04:27 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

well I got a call back as promised, they have given me back £250 above the amount that they took off me! so they have put into my account £660! they said please accept this as a token of our apology!!! double they also asked me to contact the ombudsman to remove my complaint im well chuffed!
Old 29 September 2008, 05:01 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Result!
Old 29 September 2008, 05:05 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shaggy1973
well I got a call back as promised, they have given me back £250 above the amount that they took off me! so they have put into my account £660! they said please accept this as a token of our apology!!! double they also asked me to contact the ombudsman to remove my complaint im well chuffed!
lol now say lots of nice things about them to make up for all the nasty ones

Just kiddin. Nice one mate
Old 29 September 2008, 06:41 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Shaggy, was you polite in your correspondance???
Old 29 September 2008, 06:52 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

yes mate.
Old 29 September 2008, 07:03 PM
Richiehash
Scooby Regular

nice result there-the natwest are currently taking 90 quid a month of me in charges as I am currently only on benefits(carers allowance-my wife is disabled) which is irregularly paid due to me being registered with a few driving agencys locally, but the gits wont let me have an overdraft of £200 which would allow me to be able to cover everything.
I just hope that when the judgement for unfair charges goes through that it finds against the banks-if i can get back half of what i paid in charges over the last few years I'll be a happy man and the rotts'll get a t bone each that night
Richie
Old 29 September 2008, 07:03 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Always the best policy.... I am sure if you had been arsey you would of been left walking the hard line and having to fight for everything.....

Congrats anyway
Old 29 September 2008, 07:30 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Originally Posted by Richiehash
nice result there-the natwest are currently taking 90 quid a month of me in charges as I am currently only on benefits(carers allowance-my wife is disabled) which is irregularly paid due to me being registered with a few driving agencys locally, but the gits wont let me have an overdraft of £200 which would allow me to be able to cover everything.
I just hope that when the judgement for unfair charges goes through that it finds against the banks-if i can get back half of what i paid in charges over the last few years I'll be a happy man and the rotts'll get a t bone each that night
Richie
I was told before this that if you have benefits paid into a bank account and this is your only form of income, by law they are not allowed to touch any of this money. maybe you should remind them of this? HTH

I only really lost my rag with one guy at natwest as he was clearly trying to turn it around and blame me, I said to him that it was their fault not mine, he just said he didnt like my attitude, I said that on the back of his attitude I would goto the ombudsman, he said he doubted it and hung up. WRONG!
Old 29 September 2008, 07:49 PM
Richiehash
Scooby Regular

I was told before this that if you have benefits paid into a bank account and this is your only form of income, by law they are not allowed to touch any of this money. maybe you should remind them of this? HTH
Tried that last month and got a letter back saying naff off or words to that effect-will try the ombudsman this week see what they say and also tell the natwest of my intentions -see if that helps their attitude any.
cheers Richie
Old 29 September 2008, 09:15 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well done fella.
Talk softly (politely) and carry a big stick (ombudsman)