Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Help a complete novice with a MTB brake upgrade please....

Search this Thread

Old 21 September 2008, 11:00 PM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help a complete novice with a MTB brake upgrade please....

I want to change the cantilever brakes on a Rockhopper to V-brakes, but I don't understand:

- how the new rear cable would work - currently just have a short cable to a ferrule into a 'bracket' near the front of the top tube, then what appears to be a plastic outer (with the inner inside!) to the back of the top tube and through a small dia. metal tube to come out directly and centrally above the brake. But the other V-brake bike in the house has a 'bracket' near the back end of the top tube as well, and a ferrule-short outer cable running down to the V-brake. ...
-...so how do I get a V-brake to work on the current top tube?

- are the cantilever mounting points on the forks universal i.e V-brakes would just fit straight on. All V-brakes - or just some?

- what type V-brakes to get - mid-price options? Avid Single Digit 7 2008 look like they get good reviews...

Cheers
Martin
Old 22 September 2008, 12:10 AM
Scoobyols69
Scooby Regular

post pics up of your bike mate il ask my mate about it for you
Old 22 September 2008, 12:24 AM
nixxon
Scooby Regular

You used to be able to get little collars that went around the seat tube, just above the top tube. This formed a stop for the outer cable between the V-brake arm and the open cable running along the top tube. Kona used to fit them , among others.
Or you could just run a long outer cable all the way from the lever to the v-brake, zipo tied to the top tube.

There's nowt wrong with avid brakes. I've had the same set now for over 10 years! If you can afford it, get Gore Ride on cables. NOTHING else performs anywhere near as well. And I mean nothing, no matter what the bike shop man says. If they don't sell them, go somewhere else.
Cheers, Nick
Old 22 September 2008, 10:52 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

You certainly COULD get "stops" for the cable which fastened in place with an allen screw.

I've had a little look via Google, but came up blank. A DECENT local bikeshop might know.......

As regards V-brake TYPE, I've used Shimano on all my bikes and the lads' bikes. Mine are XTR, as are my eldest's on his trials bike, the youngest's are XT.

Look on e-bay, they come up brand new regularly, last year's models, or try www.chainreactioncycles.com

Alcazar
Old 22 September 2008, 12:07 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

rear cable outer stops in a 90 degree tube which enters one V brake arm, you dont need the centre outer cable stop any more, same on the front.. Its quite simple. Why not upgrade to discs?
Old 22 September 2008, 12:18 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by r32
rear cable outer stops in a 90 degree tube which enters one V brake arm, you dont need the centre outer cable stop any more, same on the front.. Its quite simple. Why not upgrade to discs?
If it currently has cantilever brakes then it must be pretty old, do you think it would have disc brake mounts on frame I think not.

Be careful with the V's, as they are more powerful the put extra stresses on the frame, as it was designed for cantilevers it may not be up to it. May well be okay but please keep an eye on things.

Alternatively stop trying to upgrade an obsolete bike and splash the cash on a new one, bike technology has come on a long way over the last ten years. You know to want too
Old 22 September 2008, 12:20 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

As above, stop messing around with cables etc, hydraulic discs are where it's at!
Old 22 September 2008, 12:22 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Graz
If it currently has cantilever brakes then it must be pretty old, do you think it would have disc brake mounts on frame I think not.

Be careful with the V's, as they are more powerful the put extra stresses on the frame, as it was designed for cantilevers it may not be up to it. May well be okay but please keep an eye on things.

Alternatively stop trying to upgrade an obsolete bike and splash the cash on a new one, bike technology has come on a long way over the last ten years. You know to want too
I was thinking the same when I wrote that. Sounds like upgrade to a new bike time?
Old 22 September 2008, 01:28 PM
austinwrx
Scooby Regular

the money you'll spend upgrading to discs isn't worth it.

do not do it ! buy a new bike for less cash !!!

but yr bike has to very old now to have canti brakes on it.
Old 22 September 2008, 07:59 PM
MartinM
Scooby Regular

Thanks chaps - and I thought it would be so easy!

....sounds like plan B then...fix the current brakes and put some money in the pot for a new bike.

Ta
Old 22 September 2008, 09:00 PM
dome
Scooby Regular

What you need to do is run full length outer cables to the rear brake, the exact same way as you would to the front. Just zip tie them to the frame near the seat tube to keep them out of the way.

Disc brakes would be the way forward but you'd be cheaper to buy a new bike!

Try sniffing around your local bike shop, they may have V brakes going cheap if they've upgraded a customer instore

Whatever set you get make sure you get levers and the brakes themselves, canti levers won't work correctly with V's

Please tell us your brake levers and gear levers are separate, if not that's a whole new world of pain

Avids are very good, you won't go far wrong with Shimano Deores either.

A set like this will do you, all you need is cables and you're off

Shimano Deore FRONT & REAR V's & V LEVERS BLACK BRM530 on eBay, also Brake Components, Bike Parts, Cycling, Sporting Goods (end time 01-Oct-08 10:18:21 BST)

Last edited by dome; 22 September 2008 at 09:08 PM.