Fined for speeding, fined for not moving

Search this Thread

Old 16 September 2008, 06:11 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fined for speeding, fined for not moving

Motorists face £20 fine for leaving car engine running when stuck in a traffic jam | Mail Online

I kid you not.

I won't even comment... please read this and then tell me we DO live in a democracy where the liberties of the individual are paramount.
Old 16 September 2008, 06:26 PM
m1cks
Scooby Regular

I live a mile from the railway crossing where they are going to start this trial. If they didn't close the barriers so early (2 stations away sometimes) cars wouldn't be sitting there idling for so long. They are not being issued by the police so I cannot see how they can be fully enforceable.
Old 16 September 2008, 06:28 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I wondered myself then read this bit:

"The new powers to councils are given in the Road Traffic Act , and specifically the Road Traffic (vehicle emissions) fixed penalty regulations of 2002. It allows for fixed penalties of up to £40, reduced to £20 for early payment. But take up has been at best sluggish."
Old 16 September 2008, 06:47 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

If you think shorehams a bind, try Chichester.

a train pulls into the station, and they close all three sets of gates in the chain if the train or train's are running late, or held, then all sets of gates remain CLOSED!!!!

Sometimes the delays are so long, you can sit and watch 3 trains pass before the gates go up!!!

They also close all sets of gates when the train is approx 1/2 mile away, at some times (rush hour) the centre of town is gridlocked for 15 mins at a time, this can happen twice an hour ffs.

and if i recall the signs asking you to turn off engines are not mandatory compliance signs, (blue circle) but just general yellow advisory signs

Mart
Old 16 September 2008, 06:51 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

We DO live in a democracy where the liberties of the individual are paramount unless that individual happens to be driving a car in which case you are the spawn of the devil and deserve to die for murdering the planet

Written by A.N. Other ****** Council Member
Old 16 September 2008, 07:09 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I've just replied to the guy that e-mailed me the link and asked how they are going to prove you were idling for an excessive period of time if you contest the fine?
Old 16 September 2008, 07:13 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Kieran, who emailed you it?
Old 16 September 2008, 08:13 PM
CowbitSpecD
Scooby Regular

The Daily Mail - it must be true then.....
Old 16 September 2008, 08:21 PM
greenonedave
Scooby Regular

I thought that in Switzerland you are supposed to switch of your engine if you are the third vehicle in a queue for traffic lights and the like, lots of manufactures already have cars designed for this type of wonderfull crap
Old 16 September 2008, 08:31 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

just tell them your battery was flat and you couldn't turn it off! imagine how many people would genuinely not be able to start their car for whatever reason

Aaron
Old 16 September 2008, 08:50 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

As cars use more fuel when they stop and then restart in a short period - ie traffic jam - why do car manufacturers both with stop start technology ?

lol I bet if everyone that restarted their car revved it a bit - they would soon be complaing about the noise as well ! Even more so if a diesel that blew out a load of black soot !

Stupid idea though up by total power obsessed car hating loons.

Richard
Old 16 September 2008, 09:38 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Makes a mockery of the car manufacturers low Co2 & emissions claims,

and proves its a money grabbing technique

You pay low tax for a low emissions car, and then get hit with a stealth tax by leaving it running.

btw whats the difference between having the car running in a town, to having it running on a motorway?

Mart
Old 16 September 2008, 09:43 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by CowbitSpecD
The Daily Mail - it must be true then.....
Even so i was trying to take it seriously untill i got to the shoreham bit ....

- iv never been stuck in traffic for very long there
Old 16 September 2008, 09:44 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Think of all the low on battery, bad hot starters, flooded engined, older or less maintained cars holding up traffic as they wwrrrr wrrrr wrrrr away at all these places.
Old 16 September 2008, 11:28 PM
swampster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by m1cks
IThey are not being issued by the police so I cannot see how they can be fully enforceable.
... where have you been living the last 5 years!? There's been a general increase all around regarding who can dish out fines... it's basically getting down to the point of anybody who your local council deems fit for whatever purpose is the flavour of the month these days, and as far as I am aware for much of it there are little to no prior checks (unlike police officers) on the individuals issuing most of these fines to try and determine if they are upstanding members of society).. and yes the fines are ALL legally standing, failure to pay or disputing the fine usually ends up with a court appearance and a significantly larger end penalty with the potential of a jail term.
Old 17 September 2008, 10:57 AM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

But what if you are on a motor way doing *70 MPH* in, for example a type R with the lower ratios, so at this speed the turbo is being worked hard, then you come accross to a traffic jam and have to turn your engine off.

How many people would be hapy at doing this? id rather pay a fine than pay for damages.
Old 17 September 2008, 10:59 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It won't be long now before councils will be allowed to run their own gaols so that they can take the excessive load off the police and let them spend even more time filling in paperwork to con their bosses into believing that they have fulfilled their targets!

The councils will be empowered to charge you for food and accommodation when they lock you up in their own gaols of course.

Les
Old 17 September 2008, 11:09 AM
Beef
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rsarjantson
As cars use more fuel when they stop and then restart in a short period - ie traffic jam - why do car manufacturers both with stop start technology ?
In those cases, the vehicles are designed for it, and as such are able to make stop-start decisions based on how hot the cats are, the current battery charge level, how long you've been moving slowly, etc etc. In addition the modern engines that have this feature will have been designed to restart on the minimum amount of fuel possible. As a result they can be very effective indeed.

However, what would be interesting is a situation where you have a car with this feature, and a womble hits hits you with a fine because both times they walked past the car happened to be idling.
Old 17 September 2008, 11:10 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

To those who blame the crossing keepers... I do this job quite often as part of my whole job, we don't put the barriers down for fun.

There are rules and regulations in place to keep you the road user SAFE. Some barriers need to be down for a certain amount of time before the train can proceed. These regulations are set out by the local council working with the rail safety board. So if you have an issue I suggest you contact them.

These involve trackcircuits, overlaps, braking distances, blind bends etc etc etc... So have a think before ranting about people just doing there job.
Old 17 September 2008, 11:11 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by m1cks
I live a mile from the railway crossing where they are going to start this trial. If they didn't close the barriers so early (2 stations away sometimes) cars wouldn't be sitting there idling for so long. They are not being issued by the police so I cannot see how they can be fully enforceable.

Just out of interest how do you know the train is two stations away?
Old 17 September 2008, 11:20 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Beef
In those cases, the vehicles are designed for it, and as such are able to make stop-start decisions based on how hot the cats are, the current battery charge level, how long you've been moving slowly, etc etc. In addition the modern engines that have this feature will have been designed to restart on the minimum amount of fuel possible. As a result they can be very effective indeed.

However, what would be interesting is a situation where you have a car with this feature, and a womble hits hits you with a fine because both times they walked past the car happened to be idling.
Exactly, my sis has a BMW one series as a company car with this fitted. It is actually more like going into stand by than it is switching off so seems to be much more efficient than cranking the engine from cold etc.

TBH i usually swich off if it is for a few minutes or more. Don't like the heat sink in the engine.

5t.
Old 17 September 2008, 01:17 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cookstar
To those who blame the crossing keepers... I do this job quite often as part of my whole job, we don't put the barriers down for fun.
Is this you?

Are you the Fat Controller?
Old 17 September 2008, 01:22 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

an uncanny likeness.

But no not me, I wish I was a controller.