Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Lewis Hamilton - Too Cocky?

Search this Thread

Old 15 September 2008, 01:14 PM
michaelro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lewis Hamilton - Too Cocky?

I know racing drivers are meant to be somewhat arrogant, but some of his comments recently have been very close to the mark.

But for me the post race interview said it all "Who Won?, Sebastian was it?"

Whether this was meant to be a dig at the stewards over the last GP result, he really should been congratulatory to first time winner (and youngest ever) in Vettell.

If he continues in this vain, not even exceptional driving will win him any fans...
Old 15 September 2008, 01:16 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

He was so far back he couldn't see that one !

LOL

DunxC
Old 15 September 2008, 01:18 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

I have always thought he is rather arrogant.
No excuse for it. Many of today's F1 driver's seem to think they are royalty. Take Raikkonen and Alonso for example. Both have won chapionships, you wouldn't know it though as they all seem to think they are 'above' answering questions.

Atleast driver's like Button, Couthard, Vettel, Webber, Massa, Kovilinen (sp?)etc will take the time to answer questions.
Old 15 September 2008, 01:19 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

Interestingly not a single driver came out in support of him and his teams decision to appeal the recent 25sec penalty.

He's setting himself up to be the next 'Schumacher' in terms of his popularity in the paddock and with his driving. No bad thing IMO.
Old 15 September 2008, 01:25 PM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Very arrogant and cocky if you ask me - so much so that I stopped being a LH fan this season. I think his whole image is crafted and every interview response feels like it's scripted like he has been practicing his lines in his bedroom. I really dont buy into the whole "Lewis Hamilton bandwagon" thing.

He is bland bland bland - F1 needs characters.
Old 15 September 2008, 01:31 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RoShamBo

That goes for anything and not just F1. Unfortunately this country has made it impossible for characters to prosper, as often with character comes controversy and dare I say it, a personality.
Old 15 September 2008, 01:33 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
I have always thought he is rather arrogant.
No excuse for it. Many of today's F1 driver's seem to think they are royalty. Take Raikkonen and Alonso for example. Both have won chapionships, you wouldn't know it though as they all seem to think they are 'above' answering questions.

Atleast driver's like Button, Couthard, Vettel, Webber, Massa, Kovilinen (sp?)etc will take the time to answer questions.
And just how many of those are or will be world champions ?
Old 15 September 2008, 01:41 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

all the great sportsmen have cocky attitudes its what makes them good, total confidence in what they do, look at schumacker, muhamid ali etc etc they are people who talk the talk but are good enough to back up there words with there actions
Old 15 September 2008, 01:42 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

I used to be a massive fan of Hamilton when he was in GP2 as he pulled off some seriously impressive overtakes.

I'm not a fan anymore however as he just comes across as being really insincere. Really a cocky tw@t, but in pre-race interviews he's puts on the 'mr nice guy' act a bit too much and I'm not buying it anymore.

All I can say is go Kubica! Would be great to see him win the championship as an outsider - still possible!
Old 15 September 2008, 01:45 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

All I can say is go Kubica! Would be great to see him win the championship as an outsider - still possible!
He could win it 'by a nose'
Old 15 September 2008, 01:48 PM
darts_aint_sport
Scooby Regular

I'm still hopeful Jense overturn the 75 point deficit, in the remaining 4 races.
Old 15 September 2008, 01:48 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

I would say he is confident rather than cocky.
Old 15 September 2008, 01:50 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

The best are always cocky bordering on arrogance. it's a single mind approach which is needed to be the best. People hate Ronaldo the footballer for these reasons but it's his own unwavering belief that set him apart from may of his counterparts.

This is the problem with a lot of sport people in this country. We're brought up to think competing is enough... it's not.
Old 15 September 2008, 02:07 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by RoShamBo
Too right - bring back Mr. Charisma himself, Nigel Mansell !
Old 15 September 2008, 02:08 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

And Irvine!
Old 15 September 2008, 02:14 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MJW
Too right - bring back Mr. Charisma himself, Nigel Mansell !
I don't care what century you live in..that Tash was just wrong !!
Old 15 September 2008, 02:14 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I think total unwavering belief in yourself is probably arrogance.

Pretty much all top of the pile sportsman are arrogant just by their very nature. You will get the odd one that accepts his ability with humility and good grace but they don't come along very often.

I mentioned on a forum last year that LH attitude would be unbareable if he didn't have any proper competition this year - I got verbally shoed for it too.

I like him, I think he will win the year. But then I quite like Schumacher, the self obsessed chin boy that he is.
Old 15 September 2008, 02:25 PM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NACRO
Interestingly not a single driver came out in support of him and his teams decision to appeal the recent 25sec penalty.

He's setting himself up to be the next 'Schumacher' in terms of his popularity in the paddock and with his driving. No bad thing IMO.
Mmmm, I wonder if that's because they are all trying to achive the same thing Look, the last people you need to be asking is the drivers themselves - any points that lewis fails to pick up is good news for them. As for being cocky, this self hype is a must - Getting in to the car thinking that you aint all this n that isnt the way these guys think! It's the same in any other sport, boxing,tennis - even snooker!!
Old 15 September 2008, 02:32 PM
JimmyBFC
Scooby Regular

when your sh@ggin that bit from the ***** cat dolls, earning more money than you can shake a stick at, and remember, still very young, who can blame him? lol

He is very talented, maybe he's beginning to believe all the hype, he needs to keep a level head, he blew it last year and IMO he's on the verge of doing it again...
Old 15 September 2008, 02:44 PM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
And Irvine!
at least he surrounded himself with top notch totty...

so i never managed to listen to him or know what he look like lol
Old 15 September 2008, 02:45 PM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

I like it when drivers like Webber are interviewed.....

"f***ing mungrel cant drive for sh*it caused a massive pile up t he idiot....."

Doesn't seem to care what he says on camera whereas every word that leaves LH's mough seems scripted !
Old 15 September 2008, 03:04 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

that's because Webber's an Aussie... un-trainable...
Old 15 September 2008, 03:15 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

He's the best thing to happen to Farmula 1 for years.

An incredible talent, and British to boot.

However, in true British style, some people just cannot wait to try and knock him down. Emphasis on try.

He will just have to find someway to cope without some peoples respect, and bury himself in driving a formula one car and earning £10million a year.
Old 15 September 2008, 03:20 PM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant

However, in true British style, some people just cannot wait to try and knock him down. Emphasis on try.

He will just have to find someway to cope without some peoples respect, and bury himself in driving a formula one car and earning £10million a year.
spot on mate, to me he's made F1 more interesting to watch, mainly due to the fact that he is british and also got a bloody good chance of winning something! Us brits are no better than the tabloids sometimes!
Old 15 September 2008, 03:22 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

The guy is a genius, knock him all you like he's the best sportsman this country has had in ages, and it's nice to still see him on top, I for one feel the F.I.A. will find someway of not letting him win the championship this year, christ it must be hard having the press on your back all the time.
Cheers
Colin
Old 15 September 2008, 03:24 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

I disagree to some extent. Although the British are infamous for knocking people down, I think I'm (and a few others) in the minority of people who don't like the bloke who comes across as way too nerdy for my tastes combined with a charisma bypass operation. He's just too manufactured for me.

Give me someone like Webber who articulates himself well or even Alonso who behaves like a spoilt brat half the time - at least they show a bit of spark.

Can you imagine what drivers such as Mansell, Rosberg, Piquet or even Prost would have said when confronted by the shenanigans of Smax Moseley, if it had happened during their era? I'd have liked to have witnessed it.
Old 15 September 2008, 03:24 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

He is very confident, but none of us will ever know his true character so its no good speculating.

Most of what we see him saying will be him towing the corporate line, whether we all like it or not.
Old 15 September 2008, 03:31 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Flatcapdriver
I disagree to some extent. Although the British are infamous for knocking people down, I think I'm (and a few others) in the minority of people who don't like the bloke who comes across as way too nerdy for my tastes combined with a charisma bypass operation. He's just too manufactured for me.

Give me someone like Webber who articulates himself well or even Alonso who behaves like a spoilt brat half the time - at least they show a bit of spark.

Can you imagine what drivers such as Mansell, Rosberg, Piquet or even Prost would have said when confronted by the shenanigans of Smax Moseley, if it had happened during their era? I'd have liked to have witnessed it.
Well Mansell was hardly a bubbling pot of Charisma was he..

Hamilton is the consumate professional modern day racing driver. He is liek Tiger Woods, Roger Federer; that breed of person.

In his first season he broke just about every record there is for a rookie driver, and finish levle on points, with the reigning world champion in the same car.

I don't think people give enough credit for just what an incredible achievement that is.

Hamilton is much like Schumacher, utterly driven by success at the cost of everything else.

I can understand not warming to the fella because of this, but I don't understand some of the outright hostility towards him (not aimed at you)
Old 15 September 2008, 03:32 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
He is very confident, but none of us will ever know his true character so its no good speculating.

Most of what we see him saying will be him towing the corporate line, whether we all like it or not.
Does it matter?

I don't give a **** what he is like as a person. I just want to see him drive well and win races.
Old 15 September 2008, 03:50 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

I can understand not warming to the fella because of this, but I don't understand some of the outright hostility towards him (not aimed at you)
Watch him next time he's unaware the cameras are in his vicinity, particularly after the race has finished and the drivers are just milling around during weigh in etc. As soon as he sees a camera its as if a switch is flicked and he's all smiles, chatting with the other drivers and generally behaving like a PR machine.

Mix in a few comments such as 'no-one's going to take me round the outside' prior to the start of the Belgian GP, cue Raikkonen doing just that a few minutes later, add a soupcon of xenophobia Spanish stylee and you've gone from my stance of 'I don't like the bloke' to level four hatred.

The problem he's got is that, like Schumacher, he lacks the charisma of Senna who got up to all sorts of shenanigans as did Schumacher and probably Hamilton will in the future but without the charisma he'll be detested by others.

Whereas Schumacher would run another driver off the road, get harangued for it and then come across as an arrogant tosser the more he denied it, Senna would simply give the other driver a 'death stare', shrug his shoulders or simply tell the other bloke he was going to run him off the road prior to the start of the race!

Quick Reply: Lewis Hamilton - Too Cocky?