Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

What are my rights with regards to store selling out of date goods..?

Search this Thread

Old 14 September 2008, 08:32 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are my rights with regards to store selling out of date goods..?

As above really! My other half is in a phase of muscle toning and purchased some supplement powder creatine from a high street store today. He took some at lunchtime, and thought it didn't mix that well and was a bit crunchy, but having never taken it before didnt really think anything of it. Now has a really bad upset stomach, and is feeling really rough

We went over what he has eaten today and the only thing out of the norm, is this powder. When we checked the box, the best before end was 5 months ago!!

I have done a quick search on Google, and have found that apparently selling foods past their Best Before Dates is not a offence, as it is the date at which the item can be expected to remain at peak quality if properly stored. Food may be edible after this date; however its quality may suffer.

The only thing I can find which may be useful is the Food Safety Act 1990 Section 14:

'...as the food may not be of the 'quality demanded by the purchaser'. The retailer is responsible for ensuring that food sold has not deteriorated beyond the point acceptable to the consumer. It is a criminal offence to sell food not of the 'quality demanded....'

Obviously I am going to be phoning the stores head office first thing, but was wondering if anyone else has been in a similar situation whereby a store has sold stuff well beyond it's Best Before date, which has made them poorly, and wondered what happened? Would it be advisable to contact anyone like Trading Standards??