Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Using credit card cheques ?

Search this Thread

Old 14 September 2008, 05:02 PM
340BHP-WRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using credit card cheques ?

Just been down to Comet to get a PS3. Was going to get it on 6 months buy now,pay later. Realised I had some credit card cheques sent to me that were 12 months interest free for purchases.

Well,tried to use them and currys,dixons,pc world and game will not except cheques of any kind even with the credit card present

Does anyone know of any similar shops that still accept them out of interest as i've been told today that since chip+pin was introduced,nobody accepts cheques ! If that's the case,why am I getting sent these cheques ??
Old 14 September 2008, 05:10 PM
Cocker
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they're normally meant for balance transfers. i used one a few weeks ago, went through fine but got charged the obligatory (sp?) 3%
Old 14 September 2008, 05:12 PM
340BHP-WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cocker
they're normally meant for balance transfers. i used one a few weeks ago, went through fine but got charged the obligatory (sp?) 3%
Yeh i've used a few for that in the past,some of them don't even charge the 3%

These ones i've got now actually say they are for purchases and can be used in any shop just in the same way you would use a normal cheque
Old 14 September 2008, 05:35 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Problem is you might find that anything bought is interest free but the amount isn't paid off until you've cleared everything else on the card. If you have a clear balance you are ok. if not you will find them expensive!

5t.
Old 14 September 2008, 05:36 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

Cheques have gone the way of the Dodo nowadays. There was nothing worse than being stuck behind some fud in a supermarket queue who started writing out a cheque for £14.74 for their shopping. They had their uses though, and I find it a little irritating that when I do want to use one, I cant.

Anyway, I would suggest you check to see if there is a charge for using these cheques for balance transfers. If not, then write out the PS3 total and pay it into a different bank account, then withdraw the cash to buy the unit.
Old 14 September 2008, 05:43 PM
340BHP-WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David_Dickson
Cheques have gone the way of the Dodo nowadays. There was nothing worse than being stuck behind some fud in a supermarket queue who started writing out a cheque for £14.74 for their shopping. They had their uses though, and I find it a little irritating that when I do want to use one, I cant.

Anyway, I would suggest you check to see if there is a charge for using these cheques for balance transfers. If not, then write out the PS3 total and pay it into a different bank account, then withdraw the cash to buy the unit.
I've just called the credit card company and they say I can pay the cheque into any bank account and then withdraw the cash but that will incur the 3% handling fee. But for £300 that's only £9 anyway

Think that's what i'm going to do then
Old 14 September 2008, 05:53 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

I get sent loads of these unsolicited. Trouble is the envelopes look like junk mail but slinging these out is just an invitation for anyone to use them to buy what they want from a mail order place and by the time I have noticed they've long gone. Be careful. dl
Old 16 September 2008, 11:29 AM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

I seem to get sent them every month from one of the card's I have but never use, always stick them in the shredder
Old 16 September 2008, 12:28 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by David_Dickson
There was nothing worse than being stuck behind some fud in a supermarket queue who started writing out a cheque for £14.74 for their shopping.
Single mum buying **** with cheques? Haven't seen it happen for a while but I have seen it.

Something not right about that at all.
Old 16 September 2008, 05:33 PM
340BHP-WRX
Scooby Regular

Guys,went an bought a PS3 last night and just paid cash for it,it was far easier in the end

Can't see much fraud potential with the credit card cheques when nobody accepts them