Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Got a phone from Carphone Warehouse? Read this now!

Search this Thread

Old 11 September 2008, 01:49 PM
New_scooby_04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Got a phone from Carphone Warehouse? Read this now!

Hi all,

Just to warn you all of a scam that is being directed at Carphone Warehouse customers. You will get a "courtesy call" from someone professing to be from the Carphone Warehouse or 02 asking you if you're happy with the service etc.. Chances are they will know what phone you have and what contract you're on and if you've taken out insurance, they will then confirm how much you're currently paying and ask if you'd like to save money by paying a flat rate, rather than monthly installments. This will look like a decent saving.

This is a scam. These people are NOT associated with the Carphone Warehouse or 02 and are, in point of fact, just trying to sell you a seperate policy of their own! The policy will not be regulated by the FSA and probably won't be worth the paper its printed on! There are a number of these companies all trying the same trick. The can sound very convincing: I've had two calls now; the first sounded utterly legit, the second, laughable! The firms all seem to be based in Swansea.

If you have any doubts about the authenticity of a call, ask the person on the phone to confirm your customer number! Do not "confirm" any of your details before you have this info, as you may simply be giving them to a rouge trader.

Ns04
Old 11 September 2008, 01:55 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Always seems to be the Swansea lot!
Old 11 September 2008, 02:35 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Funny enough, I had a few calls regarding this-and-that too. They all happen to be from South Wales, if not Swansea in perticular.

One of them from SW is>

Them: "We are authorised by the Ministery of Justice We are informing you that you are being overcharged with your interest rates on your secured/unsecured loans by your bank. We can help you by looking into your records. Could you answer some of our questions in order to help you?"

Me- "No. i can not offer you with any personal details, and I won't answer any of your questions. Leave your phone number, and I will contact you, if I need to. Feel free to send me some information (presuming they have already have my address or email) about you to look at."

Them: " We are sorry we can not send you any info. But I have already said that we are authorised by the Ministery of Justice."

Me: "Ok, you say you are authorised by the MOJ, not employed by MOJ. So, you have no rights to compell me to answer your question, yes?"

Them: "Yes, but all we want is to help. I think you are doubting our status."

Me: " Damn right, I am! You initiate your phone call, bragging about you being affiliated with the MOJ. While all you are is an independent company who has been approved by them to carry out this kind of work. Yes? "

Them: " Errrmm..... yes. You can find us on MOJ website. The link is *******////********."

Me: "Come to the point. What do you charge for just to look at my loan and interests records? Nevermind if I eventually am found to be entitled for any claim."

Them: " Yeah. It will depend upon if you were entitled, really. It's £90 flat fee. You pay it over the phone by credit/debit card. You have to do it now, as this scheme is running out soon. I am telling you, you can claim a lot of money back from your banks, you know."

Me: " No, thanks. I don't need some solicitors wannabes to look into my financial records. If I have doubts, I shall go through proper channel. Have a good day. Bye "

LOL thanks for raising alarms for that scam, NS04

There's another one from SW, asking for helping with neighbourhood security survey. Nothing to do with Police, just another Independent company (apparently working on Police's behalf???), pressing buttons on the phone. Funny enough, none of these calls are from Indian call centres LOL

Last edited by Turbohot; 11 September 2008 at 03:03 PM.
Old 11 September 2008, 03:25 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Swansea you say ??

It is all those DVLA layabouts job sharing