Tesco store driver sues shopper

Search this Thread

Old 09 September 2008, 10:23 PM
gazza-uk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tesco store driver sues shopper

BBC NEWS | UK | England | North Yorkshire | Tesco store driver sues shopper

A shopper in North Yorkshire is being sued by a Tesco delivery driver who claims he was injured when he tripped over on his driveway.

how long before you have to pay an insurance fee onto of your delivery charge
Old 09 September 2008, 10:26 PM
mit
Scooby Regular

This sue culture's getting out of hand.
Old 09 September 2008, 11:00 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember having a house surveyed which I wanted to buy and the surveyor said that the drive "looked slippery" and might incur problems with the postie etc slipping and taking legal action !!

If it's my job to clean the path and the wife slips on some leaves then she can sue me on the house insurance (it's been done)........crazy !!

The reason I remember this is that the surveyors report said he had a bad back and couldn't go into the loft space or the cellar so couldn't comment on these aspects so the structural survey was invalid and needed someone else to inspect the property..........so we had to pay twice when some able bodied person inspected the property !!

We tried all sorts.......but surveyors seem immune to any sort of legal comback

Shaun
Old 09 September 2008, 11:06 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by Midlife......
I remember having a house surveyed which I wanted to buy and the surveyor said that the drive "looked slippery" and might incur problems with the postie etc slipping and taking legal action !!

If it's my job to clean the path and the wife slips on some leaves then she can sue me on the house insurance (it's been done)........crazy !!

The reason I remember this is that the surveyors report said he had a bad back and couldn't go into the loft space or the cellar so couldn't comment on these aspects so the structural survey was invalid and needed someone else to inspect the property..........so we had to pay twice when some able bodied person inspected the property !!

We tried all sorts.......but surveyors seem immune to any sort of legal comback

Shaun

lazy gold-digging toerag - springs to mind

Last edited by dpb; 09 September 2008 at 11:07 PM. Reason: The surveyor that is ..!!
Old 10 September 2008, 09:36 AM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

Common sense aside, why not have a more litigious society?

If someone spills ketchup on your £200 suede shoes or £150 white shirt and it's not your fault, i bet they wouldn't think about paying for replacing them. It wasn't your fault in the least, but i bet *you* are labeled the stupid person for wearing expensive shoes/shirt and "no f**king way am i replacing your £200 quid shoes - who buys £200 shoes?!"

Litigation is good.
Old 10 September 2008, 09:43 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

That is just ridiculous. Although he has left Tesco, he should be suing them as he was in their employment not the individual. Not that he should actually be suing anyone for that of course.

Midlife: I would have refused to pay the first surveyor as they didn't complete the task.

Steve
Old 10 September 2008, 09:58 AM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Steve

There was something in the contract for the surveyor which stated something like if an area was hard to get at then he could not be held liable if something was missed.......I assumed this was to cover him for missing an unexplosded bomb buried in the garden and not his bad back

Shaun
Old 10 September 2008, 01:13 PM
magepaster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Midlife......
Steve

There was something in the contract for the surveyor which stated something like if an area was hard to get at then he could not be held liable if something was missed.......I assumed this was to cover him for missing an unexplosded bomb buried in the garden and not his bad back

Shaun
But surely places he missed were only hard to get at because he was unfit to perform him job.
Old 10 September 2008, 02:32 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

I reckon Tesco will pay off the ex employee.
Old 10 September 2008, 06:04 PM
New_scooby_04

Just put a sign on your gate saying: enter at your own risk! lol
Old 10 September 2008, 06:13 PM
swampster
Scooby Regular

Counter sue for trespassing.... whilst yeah the guy ordered stuff from Tesco, he hadn't given the delivery driver express permission to enter his premises. Then due to his unlawful trespass he hurt himself, causing you unnecessary strain and anguish which of course you are going to sue for..
Old 10 September 2008, 06:15 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Just put a sign on your gate saying: enter at your own risk! lol

I know that was supposed to be funny, but sadly not such a bad idea. You would need something visible that says that the owner "Isn't responsible for anyone entering without supervision".

Steve
Old 10 September 2008, 06:19 PM
swampster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boxst
I know that was supposed to be funny, but sadly not such a bad idea. You would need something visible that says that the owner "Isn't responsible for anyone entering without supervision".

Steve
Unfortunately it wouldn't be worth the sign it's written on in the event of being sued. You'd need to get the person's express agreement that they will waiver all liability and probably a signature to that effect to have any kind of standing, you might even need witnesses...
Old 11 September 2008, 08:30 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by swampster
Unfortunately it wouldn't be worth the sign it's written on in the event of being sued. You'd need to get the person's express agreement that they will waiver all liability and probably a signature to that effect to have any kind of standing, you might even need witnesses...
I'm not so sure, you only have to look at all the wheel clamping firms that use this method. A sign posted on private property saying that if you enter/park here you are deemed to have accepted it's stated conditions.
Old 11 September 2008, 08:49 AM
Klaatu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mit
This sue culture's getting out of hand.
Just catching up with the American's and Australian's. There's a great episode in South Park about this sort of thing.
Old 11 September 2008, 11:18 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by swampster
Counter sue for trespassing.... whilst yeah the guy ordered stuff from Tesco, he hadn't given the delivery driver express permission to enter his premises. Then due to his unlawful trespass he hurt himself, causing you unnecessary strain and anguish which of course you are going to sue for..
They have implied permission, until it is rescinded.
Old 11 September 2008, 11:27 AM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Boro
I reckon Tesco will pay off the ex employee.
They already have with one of them, or they 'agreed' to drop the action. Bad PR for Tesco locally, and I suspect the big players who do home delivery will be looking at ways to stop this happening.
Old 11 September 2008, 11:35 AM
SteveScooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gpssti4
I'm not so sure, you only have to look at all the wheel clamping firms that use this method. A sign posted on private property saying that if you enter/park here you are deemed to have accepted it's stated conditions.

That's slightly different, you can not waive your liability against personal injury
Old 11 September 2008, 11:41 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I sincerely hope that the driver loses the case and gets charged full expenses.

Les
Old 11 September 2008, 01:09 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by ChefDude
Common sense aside, why not have a more litigious society?

If someone spills ketchup on your £200 suede shoes and it's not your fault, i bet they wouldn't think about paying for replacing them. It wasn't your fault in the least, but i bet *you* are labeled the stupid person for wearing expensive shoes/shirt and "no f**king way am i replacing your £200 quid shoes - who buys £200 shoes?!"

Litigation is good.
But the person who spilt the ketchup is suing the person who handed it to him, because they hadn't put the lid on properly. They were wearing gloves and are suing the ketchup manufacturer because nowhere on the bottle did it say that you mustn't do the lid up with gloves on. The ketchup manufacturer is suing the label printer because they forgot to put on the bit about not doing up the lid while wearing gloves. The label printer is suingthe software company because their spellchecker was faulty and the word gloves kept getting changed and so he couldn't print that bit of the label. The software company is a department of a company who's main business is manufacturing shoes. Ten years later they are bankrupted by the litigation and so you can't replace your shoes anyway.

Who wins? The l*wy*rs