Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Log Cabin in Northern England?

Search this Thread

Old 09 February 2002, 12:13 AM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi All

Thinking of taking the misses to a log cabin for valentine's day. Anyone know of any really nice ones? Preferably in Northern England, but open to any suggestions.

Cheers

Simon
Old 09 February 2002, 08:38 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Simon - don't really know any log cabins, but being scoobynet's 'man in the north' I can point you to a couple of nice places.

From personal experience..

-Armathwaite Hall - near Keswick. Beautiful old Country House Hotel. Middle of nowhere, very oldy-worldy. Grand Rooms, nice restaurant respectable wine list.
-Sharrow Bay - On shores of lake Coniston (Penrith), modest hotel, but with probably the finest restaurant in the country (or at least outside London). More Michelin stars and Egon Ronay & CATEY awards than you could ever want and a wine list to die for - The Sommelier (James) has just won Sommelier of the Year!
-Northcote Manor - North Blackburn. Nice old, if modest, hotel with very nice restaurant and good wine list.
-Marriott Country Hotel near Preston. Usual standard 4* Marriott country affair, BUT a short taxi ride away from the world renowned 'Paul Heathcote's' restaurant (where I happen to be taking Mrs C for Valentines ).

If you want further north..

-Gleneagles. About the finest hotel I have stayed in (in this country at least). Grandeur like you wouldn't beleive, nice house restaurant but also houses the amazing 'Restaurant Andrew Fairlie'.
-Cameron House. De Vere flagship hotel, on shores of Loch Lomond. 5* country house hotel with amazing views up the loch to the highlands (where I proposed to Mrs C )
-The Scotsman. In Edinburgh, recently converted from the old head office of The Scotmans Newspaper. Beautifully done, quite contemporary. Favourite hotel in Edinburgh except....
- The Witchery. Amazing hidden place under the Castle. Centuries old, really magical. Great food, great wine and a stunning 'hotel' - only problem is that they only have two rooms, and they will have been booked years ago Still worth going to the restaurant if you can get in. Food and Wine list isn't quite to the standard of Sharrow Bay/Paul Heathcote/Andrew Fairlie, but certainly a close call - and with the setting, probably my favourite restaurant in this country. Also a great place to star spot - last time we were there we dined with Sean Connery and David Coulthard!
-Skibo Castle. The pure ultimate. Only been once, unbelievable everything. BUT - it to will have been booked up years ago, and even 'normal' rooms cost £600-800 per night

Let me know if you want any further ideas
Old 09 February 2002, 08:44 AM
Luke
BANNED

Mates got a "Porta Cabin" in Glasgow ,if thats any good.
Old 09 February 2002, 08:46 AM
JoanUK300
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

www.forestholidays.co.uk

Went two years ago in the spring to Keldy, fantastic!

Joan.
Old 09 February 2002, 11:23 AM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

Wink

Si, brothers friends place is in Cumbria, i have left him a msg so he'll get back soon hopefully...
Old 09 February 2002, 02:03 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Does it HAVE to be a log cabin??

I stayed at a great Detached Cottage near Pikkering last half term, brilliant!! Heating too!! looks out over the countryside!

Could let you have the details if you wanted?

Pete
Old 09 February 2002, 07:56 PM
stevie c
Scooby Regular

Wink

There are log cabins at carnforth on the side of a small lake,just north of Morecambe.

Steve
Old 10 February 2002, 02:04 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Si

Go to the Low Wood hotel in Ambleside. Overlooks Lake Windermere, and has gym, pool, sauna etc - really nice.

DW