Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Can you get done for 31 in a 30 ?

Search this Thread

Old 26 August 2008, 06:34 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can you get done for 31 in a 30 ?

My wife's auntie claims her friend was done for 31 in North Wales, zero tolerance policing and all that, I drove across Anglessey today and stuck rigidly to the speed limits via the cruise control, bloke behind got frustrated, overtook and nearly caused an accident as I, to be honest due to the rigid enforcement was going to slowly for the conditions, its a 30 that should be a 40 so the speed felt very slow so matey in the Astra hoofs it past, cant blame him but he hadnt reckoned on the car coming the other way.

Last time I went to Anglessey I was on my own and decided to see how fast my car would go, it will go over 70 mph so I spent 2 weeks panicing that I would get a NIP.

I cant really beleive that the Police in North Wales can do anyone for 1 mph over the limit, I thought ACPO had guidelines, and if it did go to caught surely a Lawyer could tie them in knots, its not like the prosecution could paint a picture of a reckless driver on that evidence, I would say it shows someone sticking to the posted limit and falling foul of over zealous policing and speedometer error, perhaps a change in gradient, following wind or whatever.

Might be her aunt talking bollocks of course.
Old 26 August 2008, 06:39 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i hope not mate cos i did 80 all the way to conwy, yesterday, the roads were really quiet
Old 26 August 2008, 06:39 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1mph over the limit is breaking the law and you can be prosecuted!
Old 26 August 2008, 06:42 PM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

Originally Posted by Brun
1mph over the limit is breaking the law and you can be prosecuted!
i'll be hung drawn and quartered if i lived in wales then...
Old 26 August 2008, 06:45 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

But don't you get 10% discrepancy for the speedo being out?
Therefore, you *should* be okay doing 33mph in a 30.

Or have I been fed a load of bollcks
Old 26 August 2008, 06:47 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Seems to be entirely dependant upon where you are ..

- thought you got 10% allowance tho ..!

Ive been don for 36 in a 30 ( mobile scamera) and now i try to stick to 29.95 along that particular stretch
Old 26 August 2008, 06:51 PM
RyanSTI
Scooby Regular

i thought you got done for 20 in a 30 in wales
Old 26 August 2008, 06:59 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

...just incase i didn't make myself clear enough - 1mph over the limit is breaking the law and you can get prosecuted - regardless of all the guidelines - this is fact.
The 10% speedo thing means it can over read - not under read. So if your speedo was 10% out at 31mph, your speedo will be reading 33.1mph - so you have no excuse with the law!!!!
Old 26 August 2008, 07:01 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

The ACPO have withdrawn their guidelines too. Perhaps this was under political pressure, or maybe it was to save face after so many scamera partnerships decided to ignore them in order to issue more tickets?
Old 26 August 2008, 07:10 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

...just incase i didn't make myself clear enough - 1mph over the limit is breaking the law and you can get prosecuted - regardless of all the guidelines - this is fact.
The 10% speedo thing means it can over read - not under read. So if your speedo was 10% out at 31mph, your speedo will be reading 33.1mph - so you have no excuse with the law!!!!
Surely it would be reading 34.1 mph?
But in Jacko's wifes aunts friends cat's uncles case, did they take into account the 10% or did she actually get done for doing 34.1mph (31 + 10% ) so in effect being done for doing 31?

I know what you're saying though and there's really no defence for speeding in a 30.

Brun.... not short for Brunstrom, is it

:lo1:
Old 26 August 2008, 07:15 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

You are absolutley right - 34.1mph - yay for nightshift taking it's toll
The police won't take the 10% into account. They will just record the true speed and not give a ****e what your speedo says. I know someone who was done for 31 - completely tight by the feds, but a safe conviction all the same
Brun - not Brunstrom
Old 26 August 2008, 07:29 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

You are absolutley right - 34.1mph - yay for nightshift taking it's toll
The police won't take the 10% into account. They will just record the true speed and not give a ****e what your speedo says. I know someone who was done for 31 - completely tight by the feds, but a safe conviction all the same
Brun - not Brunstrom
Of course they take the 10% into account

Kin ell, they'd get murdered in court and every case they won would be overturned
Old 26 August 2008, 07:36 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

^^^^^
Why would they take the 10% into account? Maybe if speedos were allowed to under read by 10% they would, but as speedos over read - why would they?
Old 26 August 2008, 07:38 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

If i was clocked doing a steady 90mph (true speed), are you saying that i would be reported for 81mph even though my speedo in reality would be showing the speed towards 100mph????
Old 26 August 2008, 07:45 PM
nixxon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RyanSTI
i thought you got done for 20 in a 30 in wales
If you've got English plates, you'll get done just for making wales untidy.
Just a thought, but those tiny little moustaches, neatly trimmed and very prickly for ladies privates , beloved of traffic plod, and the welsh- What do welsh plod have?
Old 26 August 2008, 07:45 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

^^^^^
Why would they take the 10% into account? Maybe if speedos were allowed to under read by 10% they would, but as speedos over read - why would they?
How can they see your speedo? They use timing and distance, or guns that are calibrated to accurately measure road speed. By your rational a lorry with a properly calibrated speedo would always be speading when dong the correct speed because the 10% will show him speeding when he's not due to his calibrated speedo

Just like gatsos are calibrated and you can go through them over the limit they're set at because you're speedo is underreading.
Old 26 August 2008, 07:52 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

You didn't answer my question! Would they do me for 81mph if i was actually doing 90mph?
Old 26 August 2008, 07:54 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

You didn't answer my question! Would they do me for 81mph if i was actually doing 90mph?
90 if that was your true speed, even though your speedo would show around a ton.

My BMW has the speedo and tru speed on the computer so I set the cruise by the computer and cruise at about 77 on the speedo = 70 true speed

Last edited by fatherpierre; 26 August 2008 at 07:56 PM.
Old 26 August 2008, 07:55 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

No: youd be reported for doing your actual speed. The ACPO guidelines were intended to help individual offers make the decision about whether to report you or not.
Old 26 August 2008, 07:56 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Of course they take the 10% into account
So no - they do not take 10% into account, which is what i said
Old 26 August 2008, 08:01 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

You're confusing me.......

Which isn't hard today as I'm done in.

Actual speed is the true speed. The speed on your speedo isn't your tru speed.
Old 26 August 2008, 08:03 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Agreed - Lets all have a beer
Old 26 August 2008, 08:06 PM
exvaux
Scooby Regular

depends how good your lawyer is,spurs defender alan hutton clocked at 80 in a 50 and walks away with diddly squat.
Old 26 August 2008, 08:10 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

I'd rather have taken the few points and fine - cheaper!

Different if he already had points and faced a ban though
Old 26 August 2008, 08:10 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

After reading this it appears that you two are talking about the same thing . Brun was originally arguing that you would be done for 31 if that was the speed taken by the gun. Other people were trying to say that you would be done for doing 31, if for e.g the gun read 34.1...making that the 10% difference. Thats the way i've picked it up anyway.

Fatherpierre - Are you a traffic officer?

Last edited by GlesgaKiss; 26 August 2008 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Put % somewhere by mistake
Old 26 August 2008, 08:15 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TerzoAlan
After reading this it appears that you two are talking about the same thing . Brun was originally arguing that you would be done for 31 if that was the speed taken by the gun. Other people were trying to say that you would be done for doing 31, if for e.g the gun read 34.1%...making that the 10% difference. Thats the way i've picked it up anyway.

Fatherpierre - Are you a traffic officer?
I know. I've had a bad day and more tired than tired john tired from tired ville.

Not traffic but have done many of the courses they do, and since moved onto something more interesting where I'm not expected to persecute people for targets.............. Not that I'm saying traffic do, by the way .
Old 26 August 2008, 08:19 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fatherpierre
I know. I've had a bad day and more tired than tired john tired from tired ville.

Not traffic but have done many of the courses they do, and since moved onto something more interesting where I'm not expected to persecute people for targets.............. Not that I'm saying traffic do, by the way .

No of course they don't...
Old 26 August 2008, 09:01 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

J4CKO - see what you've gone and now?

Old 26 August 2008, 09:55 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zip106
J4CKO - see what you've gone and now?

Yep, more confused than when I started, ok speeding is speeding but even the most hard hearted Scamera Addled Chief Constable cannot really advocate alienating the law abiding member of the public for the sake of 1 mph, that person, next time they deal with the Police may well turn a blind eye to more serious things, which is a shame and probably not representative of the rank and file officers opinion which is usually born of dealing with right arseholes who know the letter of the law every day, getting rear ended by smart arsed Lawyers and the CPS, as transgressions go, 1 mph over is hardly worth prosecuting for unless its just for revenue.

I dont even think this is actual Policemen, its nothing to do with them, I worked for ten years in the Police and this would have been laughed at by all the coppers I ever spoke to, no this is the Camera Partnerships, doing the same for speeding as wheel clampers did for parking, i.e. too much time on their hands, to much money involved and generally overly aggressive.

Makes you wonder though, what does this do to the economy in the long run for an area, even mr sensible. if he already has a souvenir of his visit to North Wales on his license, he isn't going to risk going back quite so readily, besides, constantly scrutinizing your speedometer is quite wearing and it also makes me wonder how many accidents are caused by staring at it rather than the road ahead.

Brunstrom needs to go, and someone with some common sense needs to take over, one who doesn't give grannies points for 1 mph over the speed limit, Anglesseys old ladies aren't public enemy number one, I suspect there is now a huge administrative machine behind this, and to get rid of it will cost jobs.
Old 27 August 2008, 01:26 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I think that according to the RTA you can certainly be prosecuted for exceeding the limiy by 1 mph. Practically the police always used to allow 10% +2 to allow for discrepancies largely in their own measuring equipment but also to be reasonable towards the motorist anyway. maybe some forces are beginning to push it to get more cash!

The whole point is, how did they measure that speed. It has been demonstrated that radar or laser speed measuring equipment is just not that accurate. A "sliding" radar or laser contact can be a long way out in the speed reading. There is a case of a man on a bike being done by a Gatso for speeding and when he insisted on the photo he was able to prove by the road markings that he was doing only 17 mph! Calibration of the equipment does not actually mean that it could not be wrong.

I think that such speed measuring should not be used when it comes to prosecuting people and finding them guilty of breaking the law.

Les