Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Insurance woes..not car..

Search this Thread

Old 26 August 2008, 05:35 PM
urdad
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance woes..not car..

I'm insured for bricks and motor,contents,accidental damage,etc,etc,through the Halifax.
Been with them about 10 years but perhaps I should look around.
Within 3 years I have made 2 claims for accidental damage,the first one was great,easy didn't even ask for receipts LCD tv.
Phoned up on friday to claim for a PS3 that my son bounced down the stairs,and I got the 3rd degree.
Made me feel like a criminal,told me my premium would rise,my excess which is already £100,fraud was mentioned..then would you still like to claim sir...
Too right,I worked out that if I hadn't taken out the policy I would be in pocket including buying a replacement PS3...and to cap it off they didn't come and collect it today when they were supposed to.
I'll wait for the flaming;but I see it as accidental cover for accidents;I feel that I and prolly a lot of you are being stung.
Rant over..
Old 26 August 2008, 05:40 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

You have two choices: complain immediately and as strongly as possibe to the top and see what happens, or walk.
Old 26 August 2008, 07:41 PM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

I'm insured with them but won't be when renewal comes.

I had a leak from my dishwasher pipe recently and they tried every trick in the book not to pay for repair, depsite the plummer saying it was a claimable fault. After he'd said it was claimable they sent another bloke from another firm in the hope he'd say it was us at fault.

Thankfully, the 2nd one said the same. I've never once claimed before this, but they seemed to think I was taking the p1ss. Like I'd break my own pipe so my kitchen floor filled with water for a laugh.
Old 26 August 2008, 08:07 PM
haroldhettaturbo
Scooby Regular

My parents claimed for a couple of loose tiles on the roof.

They took nearly 2 months to sort the claim out.

They have been insured for 25 years with them and this is the 1st time they have claimed.

needless to say they wont renew there policy.
Old 26 August 2008, 09:51 PM
urdad
Scooby Regular

Gc8 --taken on board.
FP--something we can agree on.. it's how they make you feel guilty.
H--I won't be renewing mine but instead I've found an insurer via the net who will insure individual items,cooker,washer,dishwasher or do a discounted deal on a group of items;claimed after 5 months with a noisey washer turned out to be the bearings(usually wear and tear?),fitter came 2 days later,excellent service,polite helpful and called me sir...

- - - - - - > hERe
Old 27 August 2008, 12:09 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

You most likely spoke to my pyscho-ex who does work for Halifax insurance! She's a complete bitch to people who call, just because she can be.

And if she doesn't like you, she'll send in a Personal Claims Consultant to screw you over (also known as a loss adjuster).

I've put in complaints about her before, but she's still there despite breaking ther termsof her contract several times.
Old 27 August 2008, 12:14 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

We have accidental damage on our home stuff....

i was doing some diy, and blew a fuse at the switchboard.. it happens

in doing so it fubarred the vcr... so i phoned up to claim..

Diy is not accidental damage ?? wtf

if however my nipper had poured orange juice into the vcr it would be accidental damage

Mart
Old 27 August 2008, 08:20 AM
andys
Scooby Regular

When we first took out our mortgage with Halifax their insurance department called us up to demand that we took buildings insurance out with them else we were breaking the law. We already had cover somewhere else oh and my wife is a solicitor so the guy on the other end got a right mouthful from her.
Old 27 August 2008, 08:34 AM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

a) don't be fooled that any insurance company 'cares' about you as a customer. being with them for 10 years just means you're paying too much (most insurance is a deliberate loss leader year one, knowing that a certain % of people will renew thereafter at higher rates just because theyr'e too lazy to shop around).

b) your view of insurance is slightly odd - "I worked out that if I hadn't taken out the policy I would be in pocket including buying a replacement PS3" - insurance isn't there for you to make a profit - it's there to protect you against large losses. i.e. you're ignoring the other risks they're covering for you - perhaps you would be in pocket if you hadn't taken out the insurance - that's always the way, until a really big event happens.

Shop round for cheaper insurance when renewal time comes round.

Gordo
Old 27 August 2008, 02:26 PM
urdad
Scooby Regular

Sitting comfortablly?

Sorted,sorry about that Gordo looking @ it a bit backward,what I was saying is if I didn't bother with the insurance and just bought the replacement when it broke I would've be better off £ for £..yes a very short sighted view.

Phoned again last night,no return call.
Rang agaion this morning,getting onto the agent(supplier) and will get back to me,lo and behold the agent rings back.
The first person I spoke to was ok,can I find a receipt? was it a 40 GB hd?I'll find out,went to check,no receipt,40 GB,will I post it to them as they don't collect contrary to what I was told(I said I wasn't prepared to post it and suggested he sort it out with my insurers).
Phone back get another op as the original was busy,then spouts on about as it's under a year old they cannot process the claim without a receipt,paid cash,did my teen son keep the receipt,no sorry,can you go back to where he purchased it and ask them for a copy of the receipt,yeah I'm sure they'll remember him.
By this point I was still polite but did explain that he(his company) wasn't my insurance company but was acting as thier agent,therefore I didn't appreciate his questions and thought it was proper that his company spoke to my insurers as I was going to as well.
Contacted my insurers got a really helpful op,explained everything,he apologised and said he could sort it now,went into my file and said payment will be in my bank within 7 days.
He was very helpful,apologetic(because of other people,what a job ) and listened when I told him what I thought about the original (****) op and their agents,so alls well at the moment...