Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Career

Search this Thread

Old 19 August 2008, 08:48 PM
Gerard_M
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Career

Just looking for some ideas on what to do. Went to college to do IT when i left school but it really wasnt for me so only stayed for the first year. Would really love to get into a trade like plumbing, electrician, heating engineer or joinery and have been applying for apprenticeships for the past year and a half but with no joy. Right now i work in a shop but hate it, its a dead end job and im only there to run the car. So really im asking does anyone have any recomendations or could point me in the right direction of where to go for here right now i just feel lost. Thanks in advance.
Old 19 August 2008, 11:54 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Assuming you haven't already, try contacting the CITB (or whatever they are called this week) or a local technical college. They will have contacts with local employers that take on apprentices.

Unfortunately at the moment, it's not a great time for construction industry companies (especially those involved in housebuilding), so many companies have been laying tradesmen off over the last few months. There's probably going to be a lot of companies that don't bother taking apprentices on this year.
Old 20 August 2008, 12:04 AM
Gerard_M
Scooby Regular

will give them a ring and see what they say. Yeah i know that a lot of people have been paid off this year so probably isnt the best time like you say.
Old 20 August 2008, 12:05 AM
Borat_Drives_A_Scooby
BANNED

Poker is a great career, all you need is a daft hat, some sunglasses and a loud shirt and quick hands for when your shouting snap.
Old 20 August 2008, 12:29 AM
Gerard_M
Scooby Regular

lol nah would prefer something that doesn't depend on pure luck
Old 20 August 2008, 12:43 AM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What trade would you most like to get into? It might not be a good time right now, but I would think even at the moment, there are certain trades worth going into, something where there will always be a need.

If you are currently working, can you not train towards something outside of work hours, which may help you get into whatever line of work you decide upon. Getting in touch with somewhere that maybe to give you more advice or contacts is a good idea though.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do, and I hope you get sorted. I myself work in a shop, and I am looking to get out, so I can understand how you feel right now.
Old 20 August 2008, 12:47 AM
Gerard_M
Scooby Regular

im off into town tomorrow to speak to a career advisor to see what they suggest. Heating engineer/ gas fitter is what i really want to do as there will always be a need for it and it appeals to me most but its just finding someone willing to take me on thats the problem. Ive really just had enough of my current job couldnt tell you the last time i enjoyed a shift.
Old 20 August 2008, 12:55 AM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gerard_M
im off into town tomorrow to speak to a career advisor to see what they suggest. Heating engineer/ gas fitter is what i really want to do as there will always be a need for it and it appeals to me most but its just finding someone willing to take me on thats the problem. Ive really just had enough of my current job couldnt tell you the last time i enjoyed a shift.

I know exactly what you mean. Hopefully the career advisor will give you some decent advice, and point you in the right direction. If it's what you want to do, and it is something that can offer you security once you get sorted, go for it.

I really hope you get someone willing to give you a try. I don't know about that career, but worst case, can you not get a foot in the door somewhere and train towards what you want to do? It might be worth it if possible if it's what you really want. You'll know more once you've spoken to someone, but don't give up, if they can't help too much, that's where I went wrong, and almost 10 years later, I'm still working in a crappy shop.
Old 20 August 2008, 01:17 AM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

The world is your oyster my friend. I'm about to embark on a degree in physics as of Monday. I've packed in my job, prepared myself for a life of poverty and am raring to go.

Go to your local college/uni. Term starts soon. Find something you WANT to do, rather than something you reckon will make you minted.
Old 20 August 2008, 07:31 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

lol nah would prefer something that doesn't depend on pure luck
Sigh
Old 20 August 2008, 09:37 AM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by eClaire
The world is your oyster my friend. I'm about to embark on a degree in physics as of Monday. I've packed in my job, prepared myself for a life of poverty and am raring to go.

Go to your local college/uni. Term starts soon. Find something you WANT to do, rather than something you reckon will make you minted.

Apparantly a degree is Physics makes you more likely to succeed in forming your own business (Something to do with being more analytical with problems)

Which is handy, because you are not going to earn a fortune if you turn to Engineering .

I'm a Hardware Design Engineer and even the very very best paid jobs pale into insignificance next to say, a Software developer working in the city.
Old 20 August 2008, 09:53 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Claire why physics?
Old 20 August 2008, 11:25 AM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

Pete, I've spent most of my years since leaving school working in Economic Development and Business Solutions. Exactly what I don't want to be doing after my degree

Kenny, you mustn't have listened to everything I've ever told you I've a keen interest in science and technology, and with Physics being my favourite subject at school and the one in which I performed best I thought it made sense.
Old 20 August 2008, 11:38 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

You forget I have the worst memory ever! I can't remember what I had for tea last night!!!
Old 20 August 2008, 11:41 AM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

But I bet you can remember every hand you have played in your last 10 poker games and the effect each and every one of those had on your bank roll
Old 20 August 2008, 11:46 AM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

dont go in to Engineering
Old 20 August 2008, 11:52 AM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

Why not, Ray li?
Old 20 August 2008, 01:58 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Automotive industry are crying out for apprentices.
Mainly in the body repair sector.
Could be an option.
Old 20 August 2008, 02:26 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ray_li
dont go in to Engineering
What a stupid thing to say!
Old 20 August 2008, 02:41 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
What a stupid thing to say!
Why is is a stupid thing to say?
Old 20 August 2008, 02:51 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

But I bet you can remember every hand you have played in your last 10 poker games and the effect each and every one of those had on your bank roll
Nah, knowing the day to day swings only has an adverse effect on mentality so I don't check anything, stats, how much I've won/lost, rakeback, etc until the end of the week. I've played around 7,500 hands this week and have no idea how they have gone so far!
Old 20 August 2008, 04:38 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PeteBrant
Why is is a stupid thing to say?
Because what if that is what field he really wants to get involved. Some people are quite happy on an engineers salary you know!

Plus, engineering covers a massive range of industries. Saying 'do not get involved' really doesn't give the guy any idea at all does it?
Old 20 August 2008, 04:56 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
Because what if that is what field he really wants to get involved. Some people are quite happy on an engineers salary you know!

Plus, engineering covers a massive range of industries. Saying 'do not get involved' really doesn't give the guy any idea at all does it?
Don't get me wrong, and Engineers salary isn't "bad" by any stretch of the imagination. I'ts just that they are typically undervalued fro the level of ability they have, when compared to other industries.

But I know some stunningly good RF engineers that are on £40K, And if they applied themselves to another field, they could earn three times that.

Let's face it, if you are a Bsc and have a few years under your belt, you are no fool, but you will be undervalued if you work in Engineering.

However, you are quite right to point out that if you are happy on the salary, then it isn't a bad living, and can be immensly satisfying - I just feel a slight pang of regret when I see my software devloper freind earning upwards of £8K a month.
Old 21 August 2008, 08:55 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Money isn't everything mate.
You'd still probably spend it all and wish earned 16K a month!
Old 21 August 2008, 12:03 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Pete are you into RF Design? we're into broadcasting ourselves and our RF engineers only just earn that, you are right though they can earn more than that - a lot more.
Old 21 August 2008, 12:34 PM
Ray_li
Scooby Regular

dont go in to Engineering if its manufacturing related then because its all going to the far east
Old 21 August 2008, 01:10 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sti-04!!
Automotive industry are crying out for apprentices.
Mainly in the body repair sector.
Could be an option.
I've been looking at something like this. I can't seem to find any openings though, as I'd have thought with my artistic falir, this could be a good path for myself.
Old 21 August 2008, 02:33 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ray_li
dont go in to Engineering if its manufacturing related then because its all going to the far east
Manufacturing and Engineering are two differen things.

Things will be designed (Engineered) over here, and manufactured in China.
Old 21 August 2008, 02:36 PM
PeteBrant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Chief
Pete are you into RF Design? we're into broadcasting ourselves and our RF engineers only just earn that, you are right though they can earn more than that - a lot more.
I have done some RF in the past, and Bluetooth and that sort of thing. I am doing Drives and controllers now.

I have seen some adverts in The Engineer etc asking for experinced RF Engineers to apply for jobs paying £30K - It's ridiculous.

Quick Reply: Career