Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Poor Paula.

Search this Thread

Old 17 August 2008, 03:36 PM
moff1888
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor Paula.

I really hoped that she would be able to manage something but i guess her recent injury, stress fracture (?), may have played up more than she 1st thought. Stomach bug wouldn't have helped either.

Still, faster than I could do.

Has she confirmed if she is doing the 2012 Olympics yet?
Old 17 August 2008, 04:01 PM
spleenmachine
Scooby Regular

Dunno, but I think she should give it a rest now

and maybe retire and do the chat show rounds
Old 17 August 2008, 04:05 PM
moff1888
Scooby Regular

I think retiring will hinge on her next marathon(s). I imagine if they go well then she has no need to give it up as she can still compete.

Olympics just seem to bring out bad luck/health.
Old 17 August 2008, 04:23 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

Talking about runners with stomach bugs, don't google

frakincool runner epic fail

if you want to hold on to your lunch....
Old 17 August 2008, 04:33 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by HankScorpio
Talking about runners with stomach bugs, don't google

frakincool runner epic fail

if you want to hold on to your lunch....
Poor guy!

I wonder if the extra lubrication between the cheeks cuts down on friction and makes him run faster...

Old 17 August 2008, 09:41 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

She's pathetic - waiting for her club team mate to finish before publicly hugging and blubbing all over the place. The foreign olympic news didn't cover the cry baby at all, so thankfully the rest of the world missed such team GB lowlights.

I'm just all warmth and compassion, me.
Old 17 August 2008, 09:44 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Suresh
She's pathetic - waiting for her club team mate to finish before publicly hugging and blubbing all over the place. The foreign olympic news didn't cover the cry baby at all, so thankfully the rest of the world missed such team GB lowlights.

What a great post,,,,,,,,not,,,,,,,,,,,someone who's just ran her heart out for her country and you come out with that bullsh*t
Old 17 August 2008, 09:51 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Dogs B******s
What a great post,,,,,,,,not,,,,,,,,,,,someone who's just ran her heart out for her country and you come out with that bullsh*t
Its an opinion pal. If you don't like it just put me on your ignore list.

She's had bad luck with her olympic appearances, but hey ho.
I have an aversion to blubbing. Nothing I can do about it, sorry.
Old 17 August 2008, 10:02 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Its an opinion pal. If you don't like it just put me on your ignore list.

She's had bad luck with her olympic appearances, but hey ho.
I have an aversion to blubbing. Nothing I can do about it, sorry.
okay, here's my opinion:
You're a helmet. If you could even approach her pace or commitment, you might have some sort of idea the herculean effort which goes into running a marathon at world class.
Could you do what she does without blubbing? Personally I doubt it.
astraboy.
Old 17 August 2008, 10:05 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by astraboy
okay, here's my opinion:
You're a helmet. If you could even approach her pace or commitment, you might have some sort of idea the herculean effort which goes into running a marathon at world class.
astraboy.
Halayf*ckingloolia, someone with passion/sense
Old 17 August 2008, 10:06 PM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

at least she didnt stop for a **** this time :P she confirmed she would be running in 2012 this morning stright after race
Old 17 August 2008, 10:16 PM
moff1888
Scooby Regular

How dare she show emotion after representing her country etc. Now im not an emotional person and I hate all the blubbing on things like x-factor etc which is just for show, its not the end of the world as you are 16!!

Anyhoo i digress, she was fully commited to at least finishing this race and I'm pretty sure she would have been fairly tired so crying isnt that bad, but to criticise her for apparently timing her tears seems harsh to me.

I too think there is a lot of rehearsed/timed blubbing but not in this instance in my opinion.
Old 17 August 2008, 10:25 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by astraboy
okay, here's my opinion:
astraboy.
If you say so, davey. I'll save my witty retort for another time that I'm less outnumbered!
Old 17 August 2008, 10:30 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

If you say so, davey. I'll save my witty retort for another time that I'm less outnumbered!
Dont forget the infraction, that must have made you feel better.
I love the infraction system, the last retort for those who cant string an arguement together
astraboy.
Old 17 August 2008, 10:38 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

That woman has serious guts and stamina. All she has accomplished is amazing and should be recognised. She should now concentrate on her family. Will be hard as running is obviously her life. I feel for her. Good for her for giving it a go, against all the odds. I for one am very proud of her.

Suresh, you astound me, I usually like your posts, but you should have received the infraction instead of giving it to astraboy.
Old 17 August 2008, 10:44 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Id have walked it and left the blubbing till there were less cameras

-She could very well have injured herself further
Old 18 August 2008, 11:35 AM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

What happened this time? Did she do another poo?

The good news is that we now seem to have a new generation of proper athletic sporting 'heroes' like Rebecca Romero who a far more worthy imo.
Old 18 August 2008, 12:05 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I was sorry that her injury flared up and prevented her from having a fair attempt at getting the medal that she so desperately wants. I really hope that she still the ability in her and that she gets a go in 2012.

Rather than criticise her for her previous problems which were not in the least bit deserving of such unpleasant carping or "schoolboy" sniggering anyway, I prefer to remember all those outstanding achievements of hers, sometimes also under difficult circumstances. One thing that she is not and that is a quitter. She has only failed in the past under circumstances which were beyond her power to overcome.

I personally admire her guts and determination and will support her in any future events that she may enter for.

Les
Old 18 August 2008, 12:12 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

shes already done well, if shes good enough to be out there in my opinion, leave her alone, most of us would be knoackered just doing a her warm up routine.,
Old 18 August 2008, 12:38 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

I agree. She took the place of another British athlete that was fit to race. With all the hoo-ha before the race about her fitness levels I feel she cheated a place out of a fully fit athlete. Yes the marathon is an epic race, yes you do need guts and determination to run it. You must also have the guts to stand aside when you know you have no hope of competing at the highest level. A more cynical person than me might say she only turned up for the race to further her pr efforts as a means of making more money.

She is among an elite of British competitors whom share an increased pot of funding which "massively exceed the current threshold of £56,220."
Old 18 August 2008, 01:11 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

I watched the highlights.I'm sure she must have thought she was fit enough or she wouldn't have attempted it.Not sure she will try again

The only thing that concerned me about the marathon was that these people don't look like athletes they looked painfully thin.I know its different muscles etc but some looked like skin and bone
Old 18 August 2008, 02:22 PM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I really hate excuses for excuses sake
If you're not good enough on the day you are simply not good enough.
Better luck next time but please stop the blubbering.
It's just not British or GB ish.
Old 18 August 2008, 02:48 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

This is more of a toys out the pram job.I'd be more ashamed of him I must say.

up for fighting the judges

Angry Swede throws down medal and quits | Reuters
Old 18 August 2008, 02:51 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Why does a british world record holder get such a hard time?
Old 18 August 2008, 03:47 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Holding a world record and having won a load of marathons in the past (not olympic ones I may add) does not automatically entitle you to run for your country when you are not fully fit. The manner in which she 'held' herself doesn't endear her to everyone either. Two olympics in a row she has performed far less than the hype in a somewhat farsical manner.

I have no axe to grind, and I couldn't hope in a million years to achieve some of the things this person has. However, there is a point at which you have to question certain things rather than sit around lapping up all the failure and disappointment without voicing some valid concerns.

If this performance was any member of the England football team in a world cup final then SN members would be the first on the lyncing bandwagon.
Old 18 August 2008, 03:58 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

It was less than a year ago she won the NY marathon, the first race since child birth.

For athletes that have consistently performed at this level, I think she deserved to go.
Old 18 August 2008, 04:04 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

I agree, an athlete who has consistently performed at the highest level should be given the chance, if they're fit. On the basis that she's consistently underperformed to a great extent in two olympic marathons in dramatic style, I hope someone else is given their rightful chance to represent us in 2012.
Old 19 August 2008, 01:54 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobynutta555
I agree, an athlete who has consistently performed at the highest level should be given the chance, if they're fit. On the basis that she's consistently underperformed to a great extent in two olympic marathons in dramatic style, I hope someone else is given their rightful chance to represent us in 2012.
She was not the only British athlete in the race. Our next best hope came 6th, for which she too deserves congratulations. If her injury had not flared up again which could not be forecast one way or the other anyway, she may well have won or at least got a medal.

Les
Old 19 August 2008, 04:49 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
She was not the only British athlete in the race. Our next best hope came 6th, for which she too deserves congratulations. If her injury had not flared up again which could not be forecast one way or the other anyway, she may well have won or at least got a medal.

Les
I hope the woman who finished 6th receives as much funding as Radcliffe for their preparation for 2012. The forecast of her fitness is questionable to say the least.

Quick Reply: Poor Paula.