Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Do you complain in restaurants?

Search this Thread

Old 16 August 2008, 10:02 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you complain in restaurants?

Went to TGI Fridays last night, and didn't have the best of experiences, The girlfriends food was cold(ish) when we were served our main course, she told the waitress and was eventually brought a fresh meal. by this time I had virtually finished mine. So we basically took turns of eating in front of each other - not really the idea when you go out for a meal as a couple.

When they cleared the plates we declined the desert menu and requested the bill, it didn't arrive. I requested it again, still never arrived.

Now I have never been one to complain much as I find it embarrassing, however I decided to speak to the manager and told him how I felt.

After which I was presented with a bill for £6, for two bottles of Stella.

This is the first time I have complained in a restaurant, apart from the time I was served broken glass in a meal on Valentines day. Just wish I had spoken up on other occasions - may well have ended up leaving without paying a bill quite a few times.

Do you tend to complain or do you do what I have been doing and letting things slide?
Old 16 August 2008, 10:06 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

I tell them but usually only in extreme cases. Food not the best - just don't go back. However something like the service you've had, yes, definately complain. As long as ot is genuine and you don't get abusive then they can be quite accomodating.

5t.
Old 16 August 2008, 10:06 AM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I complain. Not (always) to be nasty, but people need to know when things don't go right.

I'm the first to compliment people on good work, but you must also point out when it isn't as good. You don't need to go all Victor Meldrew on them, just calmly point out what's gone wrong and see what happens.

A good restaurant will sort out the issues - you are in fact helping them by pointing out areas that need addressing, they simply may not be aware of it.
Old 16 August 2008, 10:09 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

It's a shame really as I really like TGI's on the whole, this one just didn't seem to work last night (Watford)
Old 16 August 2008, 10:12 AM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

I do but usually by letter after the event to the head office or manager/owner directly, saves anyone spitting in your food.

I got 60 quid in vouchers off TGIF for a similar incident with raw steaks, uncooked potatoes, burnt veg and crap, staggered service, we only paid a few quid on leaving and then got the vouchers after writing expressing our "disappoinment" (don't rant, go on about disappointment and expecting better from a company/restaurant of your standing/reputation).

Never used the vouchers (passed them on) as we'd never go back anyway. Once a place is on the bad list, it ain't coming off.
Old 16 August 2008, 10:13 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Good for you, cookie. I'd be a bit wary after watching that programme a few years ago, where people complained and the waiters were spitting into the next course. etc. Like you, best to complain at the end of the meal, after the pud
Old 16 August 2008, 10:17 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by HankScorpio
I do but usually by letter after the event to the head office or manager/owner directly, saves anyone spitting in your food.

I got 60 quid in vouchers off TGIF for a similar incident with raw steaks, uncooked potatoes, burnt veg and crap, staggered service, we only paid a few quid on leaving and then got the vouchers after writing expressing our "disappoinment" (don't rant, go on about disappointment and expecting better from a company/restaurant of your standing/reputation).

Never used the vouchers (passed them on) as we'd never go back anyway. Once a place is on the bad list, it ain't coming off.

She was quite up for emailing the head office today, I told her that we should leave it alone now, now Im thinking differently get some vouchers and EBAY them
Old 16 August 2008, 10:18 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 84of300
Good for you, cookie. I'd be a bit wary after watching that programme a few years ago, where people complained and the waiters were spitting into the next course. etc. Like you, best to complain at the end of the meal, after the pud
The thought had crossed my mind about the spitting, which is why I didnt send mine back at the same time.

What kind of person would spit in someones food?
Old 16 August 2008, 10:22 AM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

I have been to TGI once and the crap they called food put me off for ever. Did not really see the point of complaining as it it just another crapy bland long chain selling rubbish to simpletons.
Old 16 August 2008, 10:25 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang
I have been to TGI once and the crap they called food put me off for ever. Did not really see the point of complaining as it it just another crapy bland long chain selling rubbish to simpletons.

Simpletons is a bit harsh, I have had some good meals in the Lakeside branch. This branch must just be poorly managed.
Old 16 August 2008, 10:33 AM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cookstar
She was quite up for emailing the head office today, I told her that we should leave it alone now, now Im thinking differently get some vouchers and EBAY them
Go for it, nothing to lose but keep the tone like that of a teacher/parent speaking to child and trying to guilt them about something, you know the kind of thing....

It's not about what I think Johnny, but it's not just yourself you've let down Johnny, it's your nan, think how disappointed she feels about all this...

Nobody likes to be a disappointment do they?
Old 16 August 2008, 11:16 AM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Simpletons is a bit harsh, .
Perhaps a bit harsh but I really hate the fact that people would rather eat a bland pile of rubbish in a long chain than real food in a small family place.
Old 16 August 2008, 11:16 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Me and MrsREV went away a couple of weekends back for our 5th anniversary. We stayed in a 5 star hotel and spa and ate at the restaurant in the evening.

45 minutes for our starter to arrive after ordering (we asked them where our food was 4 times).

My starter was described in the menu as "Southern Spicy Chicken Salad". It was a plain chicken breast on limp lettuce.

Our main course was Turkey roast dinner which the menu described as coming with roast potatoes and other veg but actually came with a couple of rock hard boiled spuds.

We pointed out our complaints and they knocked the starters and the drinks off our bill and apologised. I was happy enough with that but it did spoil an otherwise great weekend.
Old 16 August 2008, 11:19 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I'll complain but I'll tend not to go back if its rubbish food. One meal not so long ago was terrible and we complained. Nothing OTT just that the food was very poor. They only made us pay for drinks.

We tend to tip up to 10% (my wife used to waitress so likes to reward good service - personally I don't believe in tipping ) however if the service is poor we won't tip. We didn't tip the waitress for our meal on Monday night as she seemed very up her own **** for a mere waitress. The lad behind the bar was very helpful and brought our drinks out when it wasn't his job to do so we tipped him personally.

EDIT - isn't it true that if you don't believe a meal was worth the asking price you technically don't have to pay the full price?
Old 16 August 2008, 11:23 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang
Perhaps a bit harsh but I really hate the fact that people would rather eat a bland pile of rubbish in a long chain than real food in a small family place.

You own a restaurant I'm guessing.

I do tend to prefer smaller places, where the guy that owns it is keeping a close watch on all that goes on. Just fancied a change.
Old 16 August 2008, 11:45 AM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott

EDIT - isn't it true that if you don't believe a meal was worth the asking price you technically don't have to pay the full price?
That's true, but you also have to be prepared to leave your name and address, as if the restraunt thinks you are taking the pee it would be a civil dispute, although it's very very unlikely.

If you just refused to pay and just walked out it could be seen as " making off without payment" which would be a criminal matter.

Last edited by Jamescsti; 16 August 2008 at 11:46 AM. Reason: bad typing
Old 16 August 2008, 12:13 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not exactly a resteraunt but...

I've been so unhappy with the stupid planks that work in Mcdonalds giving sh*t service that I told them in length exactly what was bothering me, then told them to shove it up their ****. Does that count as a complaint?

If you complain in Mcdonalds you cant continue eating afterwords, because whatever they give you next will have added garnish.
Old 16 August 2008, 12:14 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[NACRO]

Well, if you go to TGI Fridays what do you expect, Sink Estates, Football shirts, Magners with Ice in, Jumpers for Goalposts, isnt it, hmmm.

[/NACRO]
Old 16 August 2008, 12:51 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

We used to have a laugh in McDonalds by asking for fries without salt.

Most of them had to go get a manager
Old 16 August 2008, 12:52 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

Cookie............have you ever been to the Paper Mill in Apsley? If you haven't, don't bother!

We had our surgery Christmas do there. The food was cold, took ages to come and the place wasn't even full. We complained (said how disappointed we were etc.....) so they gave us £40 worth of vouchers for another meal (there were nine of us). The others went back for a meal in June. I didn't go because I was on hols, and apparently it was even worse this time! Took an hour for the starters to arrive, it was all stone cold (again), then another long wait until the main course turned up. Needless to say, we won't be going back again.
Old 16 August 2008, 01:02 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by oldsplice
Cookie............have you ever been to the Paper Mill in Apsley? If you haven't, don't bother!

We had our surgery Christmas do there. The food was cold, took ages to come and the place wasn't even full. We complained (said how disappointed we were etc.....) so they gave us £40 worth of vouchers for another meal (there were nine of us). The others went back for a meal in June. I didn't go because I was on hols, and apparently it was even worse this time! Took an hour for the starters to arrive, it was all stone cold (again), then another long wait until the main course turned up. Needless to say, we won't be going back again.

The paper mill, is that the place with the stream that runs through it? If so we went to check it out (looking for wedding venue) and hated it.
Old 16 August 2008, 01:10 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

The paper mill, is that the place with the stream that runs through it? If so we went to check it out (looking for wedding venue) and hated it.
Yeah, that's the one.......near Sainsbury's. Big place, but no atmosphere. Have you thought about Shendish for the wedding venue? Or the Grove?
Old 16 August 2008, 01:12 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Yeah, that's the one.......near Sainsbury's. Big place, but no atmosphere. Have you thought about Shendish for the wedding venue? Or the Grove?

She has her heart set on somewhere now, I cant remember what its called now, its near Boxmore station. On the corner. Can find out in one min.
Old 16 August 2008, 01:15 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

She has her heart set on somewhere now, I cant remember what its called now, its near Boxmore station. On the corner. Can find out in one min.
Shame......my mate down the road was working at Shendish doing wedding organising stuff, but she left a few weeks ago. they've got a wedding fair thing on the 21st September.
Old 16 August 2008, 01:18 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Shame......my mate down the road was working at Shendish doing wedding organising stuff, but she left a few weeks ago. they've got a wedding fair thing on the 21st September.

This is the place Boxmoor Lodge they have sparkly lights in the ceiling
Old 16 August 2008, 01:52 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

This is the place Boxmoor Lodge they have sparkly lights in the ceiling
Ooh, that sounds lovely Cookie! I know the place you mean now. As long as you don't end up with a sparkly light in your dinner!
Old 16 August 2008, 02:59 PM
POC
Scooby Regular

Boxmoor Lodge is nice, the Swan pub next to it has just been refurbished and is exceptional.

I too have eaten in the papermil and TGI watford, both never again!
Old 16 August 2008, 03:06 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by POC
Boxmoor Lodge is nice, the Swan pub next to it has just been refurbished and is exceptional.

I too have eaten in the papermil and TGI watford, both never again!

A few of us popped in the pub the other day, the restaurant area at the back looks nice, might have a roast there tomorrow now. Hmm or a carvery at Cas Amigos.
Old 16 August 2008, 03:09 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

only if it was a very bad experience i will.

im not one of those serial complainers though,who eat the food them complain to get something off the bill
Old 16 August 2008, 03:15 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Do you tend to complain or do you do what I have been doing and letting things slide?

Yes.

Only if there is a need for it.

You should have sent your foods back if they were cold, Mark. I have done it, and they are usually fine either giving it a shot of microwave (in Little Chef kinda "Freezer to fryer" places), or re-cooked it fresh in restaurants. I think, they did I was not in the kitchen to see it re-cooked,like! But as I was paying decent sum for meals, so I liked to believe they did. Anyhow, food was warm at least!

I think one should feel free to state, if not make a big issue of minor probs in an aggressive way. Service providers will take notice, and make amendments to keep the consumer happy. There's nothing embarrassing in asking for value, for your own hard-earned money.

Quick Reply: Do you complain in restaurants?