Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

question about being laid off.

Search this Thread

Old 14 August 2008, 10:41 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default question about being laid off.

is there any rules the company has to follow when laying off an employee?

a bit of background, I have worked for this company for just shy of 8 months, I went into work on tuesday week before last, the manager popped his head out of his office and said james can I have a word, I went into the office sat down and he just said sorry mate theres no work I need to lay you off.

since then I am still yet to recieve a letter to confirm this, I have had a letter letting me know that I owe them money for having to many holiday for the period I have been there.

what I want to know is have they broken any rules by doing the above? I was told that they should discuss with any employees at least a week before laying off to let them know they are considering them for lay off and why they have chosen them. also I was told that they must send a letter within a week to let you know why etc.

since I have gone I know have heard that hey have sold 2 lorries so there is no way I will be able to go back.

any helpful information welcomed.
Old 14 August 2008, 11:48 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, but I think, under a year of employment, there is not much you can do.

You could try Acas - Lay-offs and short-time working

Good luck
Old 15 August 2008, 12:08 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shaggy1973
is there any rules the company has to follow when laying off an employee?

a bit of background, I have worked for this company for just shy of 8 months, I went into work on tuesday week before last, the manager popped his head out of his office and said james can I have a word, I went into the office sat down and he just said sorry mate theres no work I need to lay you off.

since then I am still yet to recieve a letter to confirm this, I have had a letter letting me know that I owe them money for having to many holiday for the period I have been there.

what I want to know is have they broken any rules by doing the above? I was told that they should discuss with any employees at least a week before laying off to let them know they are considering them for lay off and why they have chosen them. also I was told that they must send a letter within a week to let you know why etc.

since I have gone I know have heard that hey have sold 2 lorries so there is no way I will be able to go back.

any helpful information welcomed.
Whilst you are somewhat correct, your employer only has to follow the notification & selection criteria if they are making more than 30 people redundant, there are other things that they do as well.

From what yours sounds like, its a case of last in first out, perfectly legal for small firms.

Selection criteria can be anything, again usually only apply's when lots of redundancy's are going to happen

I got no notice, for one of my redundancy,s just a letter on the Friday confirming i was redundant.

I did get an enhanced payoff, because of contractual obligations agreed at the time of employment.

hope this helps

Mart
Old 15 August 2008, 12:24 AM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

when i got laid off it was a quick 5 minute chat at end of work complete shock but hey ho
Old 15 August 2008, 12:35 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

thats what I thought as well phil. but since then they have been messing me about.
Old 15 August 2008, 12:47 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear that James

I dont think much can be done if there less than a year, there is a lot of redundancies around at the moment ,and if your company have sold two of the vehicles, they must be feeling it, with no immediate signs of things picking up

Have they layed any one else off do you know ? Strange that you havent had a letter confirming the lay off, have they give you your p45 yet too, I got mine on my last day ( certainly the case in the last 3 employees)
Old 15 August 2008, 02:14 AM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

u should still of received a letter of termination of employment, maybe u can ask to be used as temp driver/holiday cover for future(i take it that is what u are a driver) when things pick u they might do casual hire and if u still aint sorted who knows
Old 15 August 2008, 08:14 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

no letter of termination and no p45. im the only one they have laid off upto now.