Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Advice,Deposit on previous home(rent)

Search this Thread

Old 13 August 2008, 07:47 PM
Al9
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Advice,Deposit on previous home(rent)

Hi need some help on who I can contact to open a dispute.Quickish summary rented a house for 2 years via an estate agent it was bland the paint work(interior) so spruced it up, now that i have handed the keys back they have informed me that it was a cadiotondition that we could paint any colour we wanted but had to be put back to neutral colours when leaving.Now we werent told that and we have had a few inspections done and were told we could leave the house as is(those people now dont work for them!),secondly there was a radiator leak which caused staining to carpet,we should the marks when an inspection was done when radiator was fixed via them and also told not to worry as it couldnt be helped ie we didnt damage the radiator so not are fault, but now they are talking about the stain, basically telling us that the carpet needs replacing and the interior repainted, they said that they will speak to owner to see if she wants it painted back etc. The people at the estate agent we saw in the past now dont work there, so what can i do if they insist on the painting and carpet they have £800 of mine. any help thanks al
Old 13 August 2008, 09:58 PM
djuk
Scooby Regular

In my experience any form of interior decoration or alteration on a rented property would be a no no?
Old 13 August 2008, 11:50 PM
Odds on
Scooby Regular

Your deposit wont be held by the estate agent nowadays. There's an independent body that's been set up to eradicate this type of argument. If your contract says it must be left 'as is' then expect to have to pay to put it back to that.

However, in my line of work, if we make a mistake the law says we have to be given an opportunity to put it right at our expense. If that opportunity is not given, we can't be back charged. I know it will take a while, but the small claims court will find in your favour if they haven't offered this chance.
Old 14 August 2008, 12:50 AM
Al9
Scooby Regular

thanks for reply,the deposit is held with the estate agent as it was done in july 2006, will read the terms of agreement and go from there.
Old 14 August 2008, 02:40 AM
jods
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

Ali & I rented a house in Panshanger, Welwyn Garden City - Right on the edge of the airfield where they practice aerobatics.

It was fantastic sitting out on our 10 ft square plot of grass during the summer watching the free airshow.

Now - To the point...

I put up shelving in the kitchen and we had the whole inside repainted when we moved in to make it feel more like our HOME.

When we left we were complimented on the quality of the shelving in the kitchen and were asked to leave it in place. The paintwork, however, had to be completely redone - It's a standard thing so suck it up.

The damage to the carpet is a different matter [in my opinion] If the central heating was leaking and you informed your landlord about it then it is down to them.

I'd say that it would cost no more than £100 per room to repaint - you coud either DIY or accept the cost of moving on.

Congrats for taking the next step in any case

Old 14 August 2008, 08:06 AM
Account deleted by request
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Odds on
Your deposit wont be held by the estate agent nowadays
Incorrect. Law changed in April of last year that deposits had to be held by an independant body. Anything before that there was no legislation.

chop
Old 14 August 2008, 08:32 AM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Estate agent will still hold the deposit, the DPS system as said before is quite new and has been set up to help these sort of problems be solve, although no help to you.

usually the Landlord will allow minor alterations, shelves, decorations {providing the walls ar eno purple for example} and damage to the property will be offset by agreement in th edeposit when the end of tenancy comes.

When you moved in the agent should have done an inventory and them when you move out another one should be done to prove any differences, the stained carpet should really go down as wear and tear and if the stain occurred and was not really your fault a compromise should be reached.

Just my opinion.

Trending Topics

Old 14 August 2008, 08:09 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jods
Ali & I rented a house in Panshanger, Welwyn Garden City - Right on the edge of the airfield where they practice aerobatics.

It was fantastic sitting out on our 10 ft square plot of grass during the summer watching the free airshow.

I used to live near there too (Howlands in WGC and in Hertford before that). Like you say it was great watching the planes doing all the stunts.
Old 14 August 2008, 10:37 PM
Al9
Scooby Regular

Smile

estate agent called today,and have agreed on the stain on the carpet ie not our fault, and as to the painting, we have to paint only two of the rooms back to magnolia the rest can be left, so a big result, although they said the kitchen units need a clean.missus p**sd off a bit as she had scrubbed it for 2 hours before we left! thanks for replies