Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Thinking of going to france with mates on the bank holiday weekend. Anyone done it?

Search this Thread

Old 12 August 2008, 02:24 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of going to france with mates on the bank holiday weekend.

so were thinking of getting a ferry on the sunday, bringing a few tents and camping out there then getting the ferry home on the monday. should be a bit of an adventure/madness. we will be going from dover to calais and most likely camping in a random field if poss, or a proper campsite.

anybody no calais? any camp sites or things to see (bars pubs etc?) or should we just stick to the wilderness with a few beers?

Last edited by subaruturbo_18; 12 August 2008 at 02:33 PM.
Old 12 August 2008, 04:07 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Theyve closed Sangatte now so you may just have to rough it with the 'locals'
Old 12 August 2008, 04:30 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

It sounds as if you think you are the only one who has thought of crossing the channel on a Bank Holiday
Old 12 August 2008, 04:43 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by subaruturbo_18

anybody no calais? any camp sites or things to see (bars pubs etc?) or should we just stick to the wilderness with a few beers?

Calais is a dump nothing to do there at all and what is the point in going to france to sit in a field ? why not train it all the way to paris , have an all nighter on the lash and head straight back the next morning. At least head to lille or brugge or somewhere not ****.
Old 12 August 2008, 04:56 PM
austinwrx
Scooby Regular

calais is a lovely town with loads in it, a lovely old harbour and a nice beach.

where did you go ????? !!!!!!!!!

you can get a ferry over, take a coach to city and do it on the cheap. you can easily walk to the beach from the town.
Old 12 August 2008, 05:04 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang
Calais is a dump nothing to do there at all and what is the point in going to france to sit in a field ? why not train it all the way to paris , have an all nighter on the lash and head straight back the next morning. At least head to lille or brugge or somewhere not ****.
well we also want to stock up on some cheap booze and might make something of it.

nothing wrong with a little adventure
Old 12 August 2008, 05:05 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davyboy
It sounds as if you think you are the only one who has thought of crossing the channel on a Bank Holiday
Have you done it before then? where did you go?
Old 12 August 2008, 06:31 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

I try to avoid travelling on bank holidays as it's busy and expensive.....although I am travelling out early Friday, but with a destination of Austria.

I'd look at Ferry availability and costs before choosing a destination.

I don't know that much about that area of France, although Bolougne looks and is supposed to be nice.
Old 12 August 2008, 08:09 PM
22BUK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by subaruturbo_18
so were thinking of getting a ferry on the sunday, bringing a few tents and camping out there then getting the ferry home on the monday. should be a bit of an adventure/madness. we will be going from dover to calais and most likely camping in a random field if poss, or a proper campsite.

I suggest you stay at home on work on your English skills.
Old 12 August 2008, 09:41 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

speedferries run dover to boulougne and are usually cheaper than the operators running the calais route.
Boulougne is a nicer town than calais, which is a complete smeg-hole in my opinion.
That said, boulougne is hardly biarritz either. For the sake of a few hours driving, I would say head further south.
If you are after a seaside place, 2 hours driving would probably get you to Caen or Le Havre (you can get a ferry direct to there, but its a longer and dearer sailing) or head inland to somewher like Amiens.
Petrol is slightly over quid a litre for 95ron away from the autoroutes, with98 for a couple of cents more. Motorway driving here is much more pleasant than in UK, better roads, smooth surfaces, hardly any speed cameras, and generally less traffic, unless you are traveling at peak times.
Randomly pitching up a tent in a field is generally not well received, so best stick to proper campsites.
Old 13 August 2008, 11:18 AM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 22BUK
I suggest you stay at home on work on your English skills.
Well im sorry if me typing at speed causes me to use slightly less than perfect english.

Obviously your cheap sarcasm and wit exceeds my grammer though.
Old 13 August 2008, 11:20 AM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David_Dickson
speedferries run dover to boulougne and are usually cheaper than the operators running the calais route.
Boulougne is a nicer town than calais, which is a complete smeg-hole in my opinion.
That said, boulougne is hardly biarritz either. For the sake of a few hours driving, I would say head further south.
If you are after a seaside place, 2 hours driving would probably get you to Caen or Le Havre (you can get a ferry direct to there, but its a longer and dearer sailing) or head inland to somewher like Amiens.
Petrol is slightly over quid a litre for 95ron away from the autoroutes, with98 for a couple of cents more. Motorway driving here is much more pleasant than in UK, better roads, smooth surfaces, hardly any speed cameras, and generally less traffic, unless you are traveling at peak times.
Randomly pitching up a tent in a field is generally not well received, so best stick to proper campsites.

Well after speaking to my mates again, we are thinking of quite a few days now, but somewhere a bit nicer. we're not sure where yet